• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

reloading questions

Hey everyone, I'm new to the site and I have a few questions. I'm just getting into handguns and I'm really hooked! I definately want to start reloading but before I go and get a press just to get one, I want some input on what type I should get. I'm leaning towards the Dillon 550 progessive but I have nothing to compare it to. Should I start with just a small single stage? I plan on shooting at least 300 rounds a week of 45 acp and 9mm (that's what we'd like to be shooting anyways). Any input or info on where to get a good press would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I suggest you start with a single stage press until you TOTALLY understand reloading.
It is very easy to make a mistake with a progressive press and that can create a major problem all around.
Once you get the concept, pick your loads, see how everything works (together) then you can go to a progressive press.
It may not be cost effective right away with a single stage but you will have it for later to do rifle loads or can sell it off to another beginner.
I have several progressive presses, Lee's, Hornady & RCBS piggyback and everyone that I speak with that has a Dillon says they are the best.
Anyway, that is my 2 cents....I still use my RCBS Rockchucker that I bought back in the late 70's for my rifle & load development.
Good luck and have some fun.

I use Dillon and am happy with them but I know EC likes Hornady. Either would be fine. I also have a single stage press for certain tasks.If you go with Dillon, I think the 550 would be enough.I use an old 450 and a 650 but you should be able to load your weeks worth of ammo (300 rounds) in an hour on the 550.

I'm new to reloading and bought a Dillon 550B. It took me a while to figure it all out. It is not hard, and there are some great resources out there. It's part science, part art. If you're interested in a Dillon 550B check out this youtube video series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRZrbv_8kx4

I learned a LOT from those videos. And help from folks on this forum helped me get over the hump on a few problems.

Start with pistol ammo. It is simpler. Rifle ammo requires more steps. It is not harder, but more labor intensive, requiring more extensive preparation of the brass.

I can produce 300+ pistol cartridges in an hour or so. I generally run them through a case gauge after, but I can do that later. And keep good records of your reloads... primers, type and amount of gunpowder, bullets, and OAL. It is very easy to get confused on what you've created if you don't label and record things properly.

Best,

Rich

I'm sure any of these presses are good. Asking which is best is kind of like asking the eternal Ford/Chevy question, you'll get many answers and most people will tell you that what they have is the best.

I did some research and went with the Hornady LnL AP press.

This (along with some other information) helped me decide:
http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf

Note that some of the items he says can be improved in the Hornady has already been done by Hornady (such as including a primer follower).

Last edited:
Pistol ammo is MUCH simpler than rifle ammo because there are FAR fewer steps. NO trimming, NO chamfering (both ID and OD), no lubing before and de-lubing after, assuming you use carbide dies - and you SHOULD.

The Dillon 550 and Hornady Lock-N-Load would each do you well; the latter may still have the 1,000 free bullet deal going on. While an argument can certainly be made for getting a single-stage press, if you are planning to load pistol ammo, you will find the rate of production glacial. And tedious. And boring. And that means frustrating.

I suggest watching the videos and, better still, watching an experienced reloader on his/her chosen press.

Note that with the Dillon 550, indexing is MANUAL. This means you can check each case at each station before indexing it to the next position. Especially for a beginner, this can be A Good Thing.

First off have you read the manuals cover to cover. The nest step is to go visit those that have the machines your interested in I think Scrivener
gave you a good description of what a pain a single stage press is: he is absolutely correct, you will lose your interest fast.

I suggest you get an inexpensive one and use it with a set of Hornady bullet puller dies.

I personally think either Dillon or Hornady would be fine, i like Dillon and own a 650.

JimB

I've been doing some research, and I found the RCBS RC supreme master reloading kit to be a pretty good place to start. It is a single stage, but I saw that it can be upgraded to a progressive, which would be nice. I definately think that starting with a single stage until I get used to it is probably the best thing to do. I know I won't be able to produce as much ammo as fast, but it's still better than having to buy it at the store. I am planning on taking a reloading course and get a few books on it. Also, are the dies interchangable, or will I have to get RCBS dies every time I get a different caliber? Do I get a tumbler right away? I definately want my ammo to look nice. Are digital scales better or no?

With the exception of the Dillon SDB, every press I am familiar with uses standard thread dies.

Get CARBIDE pistol dies.

RCBS,Lyman,Pacific, Lee dies have the same thread....7/8x14 and will work in most presses.
CARBIDE dies are the way to go...just make sure you keep them clean.
Get a good Tumbler first...some good media...I use Lyman corn cob....walnut media has a dye which will eventually become dust and make your cases a mess.
If you use a polish, make sure it does not contain ammonia...it will weaken the brass over a period of time.
As mentioned before, get a good manual and read it through & through...it is a science and an art...very well stated!
Start with one caliber and become proficient reloading that before you venture off to others...you do not want to confuse any of the data.
Get a notebook to keep track of your loads...caliber, brass mfg,.times the case has been loaded, powder (IMR4895, Bullseye,231 etc.) grains, primer type & mfg. bullet mfg. weight, style & mfg. of bullet...ie: 158gr. LSWC, brand X 200gr. JHP etc.OAL and any other info. you can refer back to at a later date...also how the loads shot..accurate, not so accurate...junk and what gun you tested them in...things change with different components & what they are shot from.
Good luck

The Dillon 550 and Hornady Lock-N-Load would each do you well; the latter may still have the 1,000 free bullet deal going on. While an argument can certainly be made for getting a single-stage press, if you are planning to load pistol ammo, you will find the rate of production glacial. And tedious. And boring. And that means frustrating.

This. I bought a single stage because it was cheap, but I barely used it because it took forever. Getting everything set up when you have to unscrew and rescrew the dies each time makes it VERY TEDIOUS. Being able to run dummies through a progressive to get everything adjusted goes MUCH faster. I'm still glad I bought the single stage setup because I got a bunch of dies and other stuff I needed with it for a good price, but if I wasn't getting a super deal, I'd go straight to the LnL.

Back
Top Bottom