Reloading Questions : Fed primers, coated bullets smoke

Question1: What is with Federal primers? They seem to have several per tray that are out of physical size tolerance compared with the rest. They jam my Dillon primer pickup tubes and the primer tower on the 650. Granted its only 1 out of 40-50, but it just kills the flow. I loaded 500 CCI in an hour, with nary a hiccup, but with the federals jamming thing up, I was down to ~300. This was the cause of some of my issues earlier this year. Anyone else have issues like this with federal or other brands?

Question2: I switched to N320 since it was the only thing I could get my hands on earlier this year (ironic, i know). Now when I shoot it looks like a blackpowder rifle. Is this just an effect of coated bullets? The load is 4.1 N320 over 124gr IBEJ CN at 1.141. It makes a 130PF load, which is great, but again, the smoke. Are IBEJ smokier than other coated brands? Anyone have any thoughts?

Question1: What is with Federal primers? They seem to have several per tray that are out of physical size tolerance compared with the rest. They jam my Dillon primer pickup tubes and the primer tower on the 650. Granted its only 1 out of 40-50, but it just kills the flow. I loaded 500 CCI in an hour, with nary a hiccup, but with the federals jamming thing up, I was down to ~300. This was the cause of some of my issues earlier this year. Anyone else have issues like this with federal or other brands?

Question2: I switched to N320 since it was the only thing I could get my hands on earlier this year (ironic, i know). Now when I shoot it looks like a blackpowder rifle. Is this just an effect of coated bullets? The load is 4.1 N320 over 124gr IBEJ CN at 1.141. It makes a 130PF load, which is great, but again, the smoke. Are IBEJ smokier than other coated brands? Anyone have any thoughts?
Not sure but I think federals in a 650 was a supposed recipe for disaster. The thinnest most sensitive cups in a really bad primer system makes for kabooms. Upgrade to a 750 and you’ll be happy.

Coated can be smoky. I can’t speak to the ibeji because I don’t use them but I’m told that the hi-tek when done right is the least smoky.

Federal has the softest cup and so are the preferred primer for competition revolvers. I forgot this when I loaded up the moon clips for last week's USPSA match and went click, click, click, click, instead of boom on a 7 second par-time stage which really sucked. This also allows them to become deformed more easily and consequently not feed well through the primer system.

As for the IBIJI heads, I have shot thousands of them in both .45 and .38 super (high speed/pressure) and not had issues with smoke so I suspect that to be more a powder issue.

Good luck.

Federal has the softest cup and so are the preferred primer for competition revolvers. I forgot this when I loaded up the moon clips for last week's USPSA match and went click, click, click, click, instead of boom on a 7 second par-time stage which really sucked. This also allows them to become deformed more easily and consequently not feed well through the primer system.

As for the IBIJI heads, I have shot thousands of them in both .45 and .38 super (high speed/pressure) and not had issues with smoke so I suspect that to be more a powder issue.

Good luck.

“Smoke” is usually a condition of “pressure” or lack if it.
Are the bullets of the proper size?

The load is 4.1 N320 over 124gr IBEJ CN at 1.141. It makes a 130PF load, which is great, but again, the smoke. Are IBEJ smokier than other coated brands? Anyone have any thoughts?
Bump that up to about 135 PF, or 1070-1090 FPS and I bet you a taco you will have better accuracy, and less/no smoke.

I think the problem is your press.

I have a 750 and have reloaded over 12K Fed SP primers the past 2 years. Last batch was 2K roughly 2 to 3 months ago.

No issues.

Dillon does make mistakes, I had parts that came bent from factory and had to be replaced. Submit a warranty claim for the parts jamming.

That press has only seen:
FED SP
FED SR
Old as f*ck Winchester
Those European primers I purchased a while back.

I have a 650 and have run several cases of federal primers through it without any issues. Both spp and lpp. Admittedly I don't try to break any speed records but now I'm a little afraid....
I am wondering how hard people lower that handle.

I posted pics here of primers I bent in half (looked like pacman) and they didn't go off.

Fed primers are ticking time bombs my friend....you are fortunate to still have all your extremities. Package them all up and send them to me and I will dispose of them properly as only us trained professionals can do ;-)

I posted pics here of primers I bent in half (looked like pacman) and they didn't go off.
It’s not about how hard but about how fast. There are plenty of guys that have posted pictures of slowly crushed primers or setting up jigs to push pins all the way through a live primer. It’s speed that kills.

Fed primers are ticking time bombs my friend....you are fortunate to still have all your extremities. Package them all up and send them to me and I will dispose of them properly as only us trained professionals can do ;-)
quite generous of you! Kindly post your mailing address and social security number so that I can ship them off.

god made those like 2 or 3 primers larger because he wants to see your 650 explode and get a few laughs at your expense... [laugh]

I kid I kid

Primers for the most part need a sharp hard hit to ignite.
For example you can slowly crush them in a vise and nothing happens. Give it a quick whack with the hammer and pop.

I just got around to reading Q2.

I have used N320 for over 10K 9mm rounds. I use Bayou Hi-Tek coated, barely any smoke.

I don't know if there are different types of Hi-Tek or IBEJ uses something different. But "black powder" type of smoke sounds weird AF. If all Hi-Tek is the same there shouldn't be that much smoke.

I have also shot N320 in 45ACP with lead bullets (no coating) and there also isn't any smoke.

Really sounds like low pressure but he said 4.1gn so it shouldn't be low pressure - like @mac1911 says I'd look at bullet sizing
the IBEJ are .356. I have 1k left of them ill load them to 4.2gr to up the PF as Sjan says and see what happens. After that, I have 7200 blue bullets, those are .355. I’ll try some of them with 4.1 or 4.2.
Its sort of the off season after tomorrow so I have several months to figure this out.

the IBEJ are .356. I have 1k left of them ill load them to 4.2gr to up the PF as Sjan says and see what happens. After that, I have 7200 blue bullets, those are .355. I’ll try some of them with 4.1 or 4.2.
Its sort of the off season after tomorrow so I have several months to figure this out.
See you in the morning! Going to be a tough match I think. But you’ve been shooting awesome lately

seem to have several per tray that are out of physical size tolerance
huh, i though it was my lack of skill.
i use now CCI only, and it works, had same experience with federal and do not use it anymore.

Back
Top Bottom