• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading press

RCBS rock chucker or Redding single stage of your choice,Lee is okay as if you're just starting out but in the long run get any press but a Lee.

I bought a Lee classic cast single stage press for resizing rifle brass and it's worked well so far. I then prime/charge/seat bullet on my Hornady progressive press. Can you reload rifle on the Dillon SDB? I'm not familiar with Dillon presses. I got inconsistent results resizing rifle brass on my Hornady LNL for some reason so the single stage fixed that issue.

The Lee works great for my needs. I'm not shooting PRS at 1000 yards so...But I can get half inch groups with my reloads in my Swiss K31 at 100 yards FWIW.
The square deal B is designed for straight wall pistol only. Can't even do my .357SIG on it. But when you get going it can make pistol rounds really fast.

The lee gets my vote for cost savings. If i were you though buy a turret and not a single stage. I reload 8mm mauser for my k98s on it and i am so happy i do not have to fiddle with dies after they are set. saves time. for about the same price as a single stage, you can get the classic turret

Nothing wrong with being cheap BUT think of resale value for when its time to get rid of your equipment! I won't be a parrot and repeat the "get a rock chucker" as the 20 other people here have said. Even though they are not wrong when they say its just a more solid press. But I will say get a rock chucker because they hold their value. At the end of the day (or 30 years) you will be able to get a large portion of that original investment back with quality products suchs as RCBS/Dillon/Redding. Mostly, the only Lee products that hold value are the Lee Loader Sets (depending on the caliber/gauge).
Lee hold Their value but half of $25(bullet molds) is not alot.
I use quite a bit of Lee products. Some are better than others. The Classic Cast press is made in the USA.
If you can find a used rock chucker or any of the older presses for a good price grab it.

I bought a Lee classic cast single stage press for resizing rifle brass and it's worked well so far. I then prime/charge/seat bullet on my Hornady progressive press. Can you reload rifle on the Dillon SDB? I'm not familiar with Dillon presses. I got inconsistent results resizing rifle brass on my Hornady LNL for some reason so the single stage fixed that issue.

The Lee works great for my needs. I'm not shooting PRS at 1000 yards so...But I can get half inch groups with my reloads in my Swiss K31 at 100 yards FWIW.
All you need to do is load your ammo with the Lee Ultimate die sets and you could bring that K31 to 1000 yards !

FWIW, if you can find this kit I think it's has a lot to offer for the price. I have the older hornady 007 that only comes with the powder drop, hand prime, scale. The older kit the scale is just a cheap digi-weigh. I did not like the hand prime and sold it for $30 on eBay. So if you need to up date some of your stuff and like some of the extras, you could use the case over all length gauge to squeeze some accuracy out of the 6.5. My friend picked this kit up and the added extras are pretty decent , well for me anyway.

Wow. I've never heard of people wearing out a Lee press. Although I've been out of reloading for a while so maybe QC has gone down. Back 20 years ago, the only reason you wanted to go RCBS was because you had a inferiority complex or needed the extra room. (As I recall the Chucker had a bigger middle to fit bigger cartridges.)

I don't think I ever primed on a Lee. Hand priming seemed so much simpler and can be done while watching TV or some other activity. For single-stage, you have to batch everything anyhow.

I know a guy that ONLY loaded on his Lee press. A long time of loading, too. Maybe 20 years. Pistol, rifle, whatever. Thousands upon thousands of rounds. Sad if the case today is a poorer product.

Wow. I've never heard of people wearing out a Lee press. Although I've been out of reloading for a while so maybe QC has gone down. Back 20 years ago, the only reason you wanted to go RCBS was because you had a inferiority complex or needed the extra room. (As I recall the Chucker had a bigger middle to fit bigger cartridges.)

I don't think I ever primed on a Lee. Hand priming seemed so much simpler and can be done while watching TV or some other activity. For single-stage, you have to batch everything anyhow.

I know a guy that ONLY loaded on his Lee press. A long time of loading, too. Maybe 20 years. Pistol, rifle, whatever. Thousands upon thousands of rounds. Sad if the case today is a poorer product.
Lee makes products to a price point. Market's their stuff as so.
Do I think Lee could redesign and produce a higher end press. Yeah sure .
Plus Lee still makes stuff in the USA.
I,have not seen their redesigned presses yet (2018_2020) but the newer turret press has a larger capacity

Now I can't tell you that for $30_$100+ more for a O style single stage is worth it but I found this link one of the easiest to scroll through the current available new presses.
I load rifle , all but 223 on a Hornady 007.

There's some new players in the reloading press game. MEC, Frankford Arsenal for starters

Last edited:
All you need to do is load your ammo with the Lee Ultimate die sets and you could bring that K31 to 1000 yards !
🤣 I think my rifle and my reloads are capable of reaching out to 1000. The limiting factor is me and the Nikon 3-9x40 scope....

FWIW, if you can find this kit I think it's has a lot to offer for the price. I have the older hornady 007 that only comes with the powder drop, hand prime, scale. The older kit the scale is just a cheap digi-weigh. I did not like the hand prime and sold it for $30 on eBay. So if you need to up date some of your stuff and like some of the extras, you could use the case over all length gauge to squeeze some accuracy out of the 6.5. My friend picked this kit up and the added extras are pretty decent , well for me anyway.

I got the kit below this... Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Single Stage Press Kit which might be a better value. And my kit included a Sonic Cleaner. Esp, if you already have calipers, don't need the powder measure elevator stand, etc. I put the extra money into a digital caliper, dies, the Hornady bullet puller, and some other things.

Thing is, OP said he's been reloading for years. Presumably he has a lot of the extras already.

🤣 I think my rifle and my reloads are capable of reaching out to 1000. The limiting factor is me and the Nikon 3-9x40 scope....
Moa is moa , wind and drop another factor altogether.
If your holding less than 2 moa at 100 yards you should be able to hold 2moa at 1000?

I got the kit below this... Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Single Stage Press Kit which might be a better value. And my kit included a Sonic Cleaner. Esp, if you already have calipers, don't need the powder measure elevator stand, etc. I put the extra money into a digital caliper, dies, the Hornady bullet puller, and some other things.

Thing is, OP said he's been reloading for years. Presumably he has a lot of the extras already.
Yes thats the kit I bought years ago. Scale has changed . “Kits” can be iffy . The deluxe kit is not to bad considering the extra bushings and case holders. Ectect . Really need to know what you need and whats in the kits if they are a value or not.

Moa is moa , wind and drop another factor altogether.
If your holding less than 2 moa at 100 yards you should be able to hold 2moa at 1000?
Yeah my reloads and GP11 are sub moa at 100 so it's plenty capable. But me the shooter, wind, drop, cheap scope are the big challenges. I have no plans on shooting that far anytime soon so I'm contempt with what I have now [laugh]

The lee gets my vote for cost savings. If i were you though buy a turret and not a single stage. I reload 8mm mauser for my k98s on it and i am so happy i do not have to fiddle with dies after they are set. saves time. for about the same price as a single stage, you can get the classic turret

I was gonna say the same. I use my Dillon 550 for my more commonly loaded for/shot rounds, but I use a Lee classic cast turret for everything else. I just didn't want to buy the dillon tool heads and set-ups for say, 8mm, 45/70, 257 roberts, that I don't shoot a ton of.

Slide out the indexing rod and you have a single stage. Its nice having the sizing die in one station and the seating die across from it. On a 4 hole turret, thats two die sets/calibers in one turret. Ive used mine a lot over maybe 12-15yrs with zero issues.

The Lee Classic cast single stage will serve you well although as others have pointed out there are better presses.

Yeah my reloads and GP11 are sub moa at 100 so it's plenty capable. But me the shooter, wind, drop, cheap scope are the big challenges. I have no plans on shooting that far anytime soon so I'm contempt with what I have now [laugh]
come on dial up 48min on that scope and head to SIG bet you get on target with in 10 shots
figure a 2moa target is 20" steel plate.
F class the 1000 yard bulls eye is 5' , you can do it!

I've been loading pistol ammo for about 30 years on a Dillon SDB but now I need to start loading for my 6.6x55 Swedish Mauser. I'm just looking for a single stage press and I'm looking for opinions on Lee vs everything else. I'm a frugal guy (raging skinflint) so the price of the Lee looks good to me.
And opinions?
I bought a Lee single stage last year. I use it for 45acp and 38/357. It's already feeling "loose" and that's just from loading easy pistol cartridges. Yes the price was great at $65. But I'm in the market now for a replacement and will be buying an rcbs press soon.

So.......yes Lee prices are good. But......if your going to load rifle cartridges with it expect it to wear out quick.

RCBS rock chucker or Redding single stage of your choice,Lee is okay as if you're just starting out but in the long run get any press but a Lee.
Totally agree. I should have gone with an rcbs last year. I went with the Lee and am already wearing it out.

I bought a Lee single stage last year. I use it for 45acp and 38/357. It's already feeling "loose" and that's just from loading easy pistol cartridges. Yes the price was great at $65. But I'm in the market now for a replacement and will be buying an rcbs press soon.

So.......yes Lee prices are good. But......if your going to load rifle cartridges with it expect it to wear out quick.

My experience was the same as yours but since I decap before I tumble the loose, sloppy Lee has been made into a dedicated decapping station. Their dies are another story.... I am very pleased with the quality of ammo produced with Lee dies.

which lee press? If its a O frame ? If you replace it let me know.

Buy a used Lee. The resale price on them is low.
yes it is, i will pay a whopping .25 cents on the dollar for good used lee stuff. I will give you much less for not so good lee stuff.
I prefer boxes full of lee stuff for free or coffee money for dropping it off!

Nothing wrong with being cheap BUT think of resale value for when its time to get rid of your equipment! I won't be a parrot and repeat the "get a rock chucker" as the 20 other people here have said. Even though they are not wrong when they say its just a more solid press. But I will say get a rock chucker because they hold their value. At the end of the day (or 30 years) you will be able to get a large portion of that original investment back with quality products suchs as RCBS/Dillon/Redding. Mostly, the only Lee products that hold value are the Lee Loader Sets (depending on the caliber/gauge).
Or take the difference and invest it...
Spend $150 and recover $50 in 30 years
Spend $80 and invest the other $70 for 30 years and you will have a lot more
None of that matters anyhow because no-one will save the money, we all just buy more supplies, equipment and guns.

Back
Top Bottom