• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading Press ??

38ExtraSpecial

NES Member
hey guys. i'm kind of new to this forum. i'm looking to get a progressive press. I have done a little reloading on rifle calibers, and i would really like to step up to a progressive press for working on pistol calibers, i know i could blow through a lot more 38 shells than i can the 45-70 i was reloading for. so i think the single stage press is going to go to a buddy.

i was looking into a lee press... everything i have heard about lee is pretty good. i'm not looking to develope a load for bench rest or competitive shooting, just something for some fun and maybe sometime something better in the future.

will the lee loadmaster work for me? and what else will i need if i buy the kit from midway usa? sounds like it has the case feeder, powder measure and that's about it.... would i need the primer set up and bullet loader also?

thanks again guys. i appreciate the info. next custom knife i sell and i'll be ready to get my reloading set up! thanks guys

hey dave thanks a lot man. i'm really looking forward to getting into this. i think i may have just as much fun reloading as i will shooting.
i'm trying to get myself into a weekly schedule of shooting one night a week, after work or something. just to keep my practice up... i find that when i hit the range for a blackpowder shoot every few months, i suck because i havent shot since the last one

time to get back into it more, especially with spring around the corner.

I understand there is a cost issue between the Lee vs. Dillon vs. Hornady LnL but I suggest for your own benefit to start with either the Dillon or Hornady - overall they are both better products and will save you aggrivation and time in the long run.

That being said let the Lee users chime in and see where you go from there.

well thats what i would like to hear. everyone's opinion on what they have used.

i'm a big believer in buying right the first time. i know there is a cost issue but can you put a price on quality? no

better to spend 200 on a press thatyou need to add all kinds of crap to and it constantly jams or spend twice as much for the ready to go press that you can rely on?

i'm going for the reliability.

keep em coming guys please

If you are really going for quality and reliability, then Dillon Precision is top of the list. Others make fine presses but the Dillon is the Cadillac of progressives.
Use the search function here, there are lots of posts about reloading.

Oh and welcome to the forums.

alright looking at the prices... this thing comes pretty much stacked and ready to go..... for about 400 bucks from dillon..... well worth the price. all i would need is a scale and bullets/primers/powder/cases etc.

well worth moving up to this over the Lee.

is there any place to buy it other than direct from dillon? i have a local guy who deals in dillon. but from what i can see his prices are a little high on most stuff.

thanks again guys keep em coming

I understand there is a cost issue between the Lee vs. Dillon vs. Hornady LnL but I suggest for your own benefit to start with either the Dillon or Hornady - overall they are both better products and will save you aggrAvation and time in the long run.

Second the motion!

I own 2 Dillon 550's and am happy with them. However, if I were to start from scratch, reason dictates that I would have to give VERY serious consideration to the Hornady Lock-N-Load.

I have a loadmaster and like it just fine. I got the one setup for .223 and the only thing I bought for it was the optional case feeder. (don't need it to start loading either. )
I am very happy with it and I have single stage loaded for years. It is a nice step up at a good price point. The 1000 is good for pistol calibers also. (I bought the loadmaster for .223 and .308) if you search in reloading there is a thread on the lee's and I wrote more towards the end of the post.http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=18686

is there any place to buy it other than direct from dillon? i have a local guy who deals in dillon. but from what i can see his prices are a little high on most stuff.

I got my whole setup at the Kittery Trading Post - it was an all in one stop for me Dillon 550, scale, tumbler, extra dies/plates, powder, primers and bullets.. you can get better prices over the web but nothing beats having someone help you through the initial purchasing to cover all your bases.

I had a 550, it was a fine machine. I sold it in favor of a Hornady L-N-L because the Hornady better suits the way I load (multiple calibers/bullet weights/charge weights, etc).

so i think the single stage press is going to go to a buddy.

I think you would be well-served by either the Dillon or the Hornady progressive (just picked up the Hornady myself to take advantage of the "1000 free bullets" deal), but I wouldn't unload your single stage just yet. If you plan on continuing to load large-caliber rifle ammo - and I'd say .45-70 falls into that category - single stage is the way to go.

I think you would be well-served by either the Dillon or the Hornady progressive (just picked up the Hornady myself to take advantage of the "1000 free bullets" deal), but I wouldn't unload your single stage just yet. If you plan on continuing to load large-caliber rifle ammo - and I'd say .45-70 falls into that category - single stage is the way to go.

Very good point. You can always find a use for a single stage press.

im only shooting pistol but got the Lee Breech Lock Single Stage. Allows you to switch Dies without having to adjust them every time. So far havent had a single problem. Its a little slow obviously but quality wise. No issues. Already looking at picking up a turrett press to speed things up though.

The 550 is the was to go it will load anything you want within reason. I used my 550 to load 45/70 all the time. Don't throw out the single stage they can do somethings that is not advisable with a progressive. Case in point I had a Browning 1885 rebarreled to 40/65 Win.
At the time there was no commercially made brass so I had to reform 45/70 brass. I purchased a form die and went to town making 200 40/65 cases and of course 2 months later Starline started making brass and PMC sold loaded ammo. Come to think of it single stage can be used to reload 50 BMG if you are so inclined. I don't think Dillon will reload that.

keep em coming man. i think i'm going to have to go with the dillon or the hornady. i'll look into both i guess. yeah kittery is a good idea. anyone know if bass pro shop sells presses?

well i will keep the single stage... just let my buddy eric use it. i can always drop by his place and do some rifle reloading if need be.

man i'm excited about this. now i just need to sell some knives to make the cash for it. [sad] time to start looking for a nice price.

keep em coming guys.

I reload on a Lee Pro 1000, I have one for .38 super and one for .45acp. They work and make good ammo. They certainly are not as smooth or reliable as a Dillon. But you get what you pay for.

I really don't have any preference on press brands.

Neither do I

Seriously though I won't buy anything other than Dillon. I started with a Lee Progressive 1000 and I absolutely hated it. Some people use them and have decent luck but that is only because they didn't buy a Dillon. I still have my Lee 1000 but I haven't used it in over 4 years.

That being said I also have a Dillon 650 with casefeeder and a 1050 with the bullet feeder. If you're shooting a lot and can justify over $2000 for a press and don't plan on changing calibers on it the 1050 with casefeeder is reloading heaven. That being said I would recommend the 550 or 650. Don't buy a 650 without the casefeeder because it isn't worth it without. The LNL has been doing pretty well but there have been numerous problems with it and luckily Hornaday so far has been sticking behind the product. Dillon has THE BEST warranty in the business so as long as you own the press 100% of it is covered. If you took your press and put it under your back porch and pulled it out 12 years from now and it was a rusted mess all you have to do is send it back to them and they will either fix or replace it. Good luck finding a warranty like that.

My vote is to buy blue!!!

well i think it's the 550 then. i want the versatility of reloading a number of cartidges.

the little i've read about hornady i'm not quite sure i like the fact that you need just the right die set up to run it, and i've seen some poeple have had bad luck with the automation of the press.

i have no problem manually indexing

but i guess i should ask myself..... do i need a 5 station? hmmmm i should look into it a little more.

i'll be reading into my reloading manuals tonight[smile]

Neither do I

Seriously though I won't buy anything other than Dillon. I started with a Lee Progressive 1000 and I absolutely hated it. Some people use them and have decent luck but that is only because they didn't buy a Dillon. I still have my Lee 1000 but I haven't used it in over 4 years.

That being said I also have a Dillon 650 with casefeeder and a 1050 with the bullet feeder. If you're shooting a lot and can justify over $2000 for a press and don't plan on changing calibers on it the 1050 with casefeeder is reloading heaven. That being said I would recommend the 550 or 650. Don't buy a 650 without the casefeeder because it isn't worth it without. The LNL has been doing pretty well but there have been numerous problems with it and luckily Hornaday so far has been sticking behind the product. Dillon has THE BEST warranty in the business so as long as you own the press 100% of it is covered. If you took your press and put it under your back porch and pulled it out 12 years from now and it was a rusted mess all you have to do is send it back to them and they will either fix or replace it. Good luck finding a warranty like that.

My vote is to buy blue!!!

Bring that Lee to the next match, I take it off your hands.

If you feel like taking a ride up to Groton, I can show you my setup. I need to load 1000 rounds of 9mm, and some .44 Mag and .460 Mags.

that might be possible at some point in time. i actually just took a look at the kittery classes i think i'm going to see if i can get into one of the also.

pm sent

Hi Michael,

I have been reloading on my Dillon 650 for about 5 years now and I have to say I really like this press. I load 9, Special, Super, 40, and 45. Over time I topped it off with a case feeder, bullet tray and handle. It is a nice machine to load on.
The 550 is nice but I like the speed of the 650. For me not having to manually index the shell plate was the deciding factor when I purchased.
Have fun![wink]

Hi Michael,

I have been reloading on my Dillon 650 for about 5 years now and I have to say I really like this press. I load 9, Special, Super, 40, and 45. Over time I topped it off with a case feeder, bullet tray and handle. It is a nice machine to load on.
The 550 is nice but I like the speed of the 650. For me not having to manually index the shell plate was the deciding factor when I purchased.
Have fun![wink]

Good points. I, however prefer to manually index as I can better keep an eye on what's going on.

I prefer a certain company's 550B model but like the dies from a different brand.

Back
Top Bottom