• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading Press suggestions???

wchandler

NES Member
OK, I am going to start reloading and want some opinions on press types. Not sure if they are pretty much the same or not. I want a simple single stage unit. I have been thinking Dillon, Lee or my dad has a ICSB (or something like that). Anyway, any suggestions from some of you experienced loaders would be appreciated!

OK, I am going to start reloading and want some opinions on press types. Not sure if they are pretty much the same or not. I want a simple single stage unit. I have been thinking Dillon, Lee or my dad has a ICSB (or something like that). Anyway, any suggestions from some of you experienced loaders would be appreciated!

Wayne I hace 2 rcbs green like new you can have for $165.
Fred

What are you going to be reloading for? Pistol or rifle? If you are going to be reloading for pistol, I suggest you get a Dillon progressive press -- the 550B.

If your going to load pistol then go with a progressive. Dillon SDB/650 is a good choice depending on the features and volume you need, Hornady LnL is another good choice. The 650 and LnL do rifle calibers and allow you to add a case feeder later.

Dillon doesn't even make a single stage press, if your going the single stage route then go with one of the Lee presses, no point in spending more money on something that is already so simple. I have a challenger that works okay, does exactly what a press is supposed to do.

I am going to reload pistol and rifle. Although, not in large quantities. I am starting with .243 in rifle and .454 casull for pistol. I don't need a multiple function press, just something simple like Supermoto's Lee. I don't want to drop a lot of money because I don't know if it will be for me. If I get hooked then I will upgrade to something nicer. Fred PM coming..

I am going to reload pistol and rifle. Although, not in large quantities. I am starting with .243 in rifle and .454 casull for pistol. I don't need a multiple function press, just something simple like Supermoto's Lee. I don't want to drop a lot of money because I don't know if it will be for me. If I get hooked then I will upgrade to something nicer. Fred PM coming..
Okay, then my vote goes to Lee's Classic Cast press. It's a nice sturdy press with good spent primer handling. The situation your describing is fine for a single stage, you just don't want to put down cash to reload .45 ACP and then get sick of it because your volume is too low to make it fun. I use my single stage mainly to decap in a separate step and then tumble so the flash holes get clean and I can prepare the primer pockets.

Last edited:
This has been asked and answered a few times before. Try an Advanced Search in Reloading sub-forum and you should get plenty of opinions.

I reload .308 on a little LEE Challenger press. I think they are around $40 at midwayusa. so far it works great

+1
I have the same press, I reload 308, 30 carbine, and soon 223 as well. It's a simple single stage press, that is plenty strong enough to fit this bill.

It's on sale right now at Midway for $30 Here

Or you can get the entire kit that has everything but dies for $90 Here

Adam

+1
I have the same press, I reload 308, 30 carbine, and soon 223 as well. It's a simple single stage press, that is plenty strong enough to fit this bill.

It's on sale right now at Midway for $30 Here

Or you can get the entire kit that has everything but dies for $90 Here

Adam

Will this press work on handgun loads as well?

I've got the even cheaper Lee single stage. It actually came "free" with Lee's "Modern Reloading" book, about $20 on my C&R. I bought it to decap/resize brass off the press when I was using a Pro 1000, and to load 7.62x39, and have actualy used it to load .40 s&w, as an exercise more than anything, as I started reloading on a progressive and wanted to see how the "other" way was:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=480380

Sweet!

Also, you will need a calipers I have These You will use these to measure the overall length of the completed round.

If you are using a single stage press, you will be "batch processing" your ammo. That means that you will resize all of your brass, then prime all of them, then put your powder charge in, then finally seating your bullet. To make this easier you should also have 2 reloading trays. You take a piece of brass out of one tray, perform whatever operation you are performing, then place it into the empty tray. I find it's an essential item to have. I have a couple of These

Hope this helps
Adam

Get a Dillon and it'll last a lifetime plus.

I've been reloading on a Dillon 550B (which I upgraded from the 550 by adding the upgrades) for nine years and have never bought a part for it yet.

If anything....and I mean ANYTHING breaks or wears out, I call Dillon and the new part is shipped free.

Their "No BS Warranty" is the best in the business and they have sold more 550 presses than all the other reloading company's presses combined. That says something about their product.

Buy Dillon and only buy once, you'll be glad you did.

I got my RCBS Rockchucker a year ago. The various guides and manuals were a great help, but no way could they replace the experience of having a "veteran" reloader spend an hour or so with you. The little tips and tricks you learn are invaluable. If you know someone in the local area who reloads(club member or otherwise), hit 'em up for some one-on-one instruction. It will be well worth your time when starting out.

I'm no expert, but I'd be happy to help out if you can't find anyone nearby.

Ken

I got my RCBS Rockchucker a year ago. The various guides and manuals were a great help, but no way could they replace the experience of having a "veteran" reloader spend an hour or so with you. The little tips and tricks you learn are invaluable. If you know someone in the local area who reloads(club member or otherwise), hit 'em up for some one-on-one instruction. It will be well worth your time when starting out.

Ken

Sound advice.

I have a Dillon 550B which is outstanding for my pistol needs. I'd still like to add an RCBS sigle stage sometime in the future for my rifle needs. I use for the most part my Dillon as a sigle stage for 223, 308 and 30-06 requirements.

If you start off with the sinle stage, most of the items bought that go along with the hobby will be useful with a progressive press.

The only change I would like to make in the future is an upgrade to a digital scale powder measure for my rifle reloading as I weight each charge.

Ken

Man, my Dillon 550B was so simple, I didn't need any help -- I just watched a short Dillon video, skipped through the manual, and I was up and rolling!

If you have a Dillon, you don't need no vet!

Last edited:
I have a Dillon 550B which is outstanding for my pistol needs. I'd still like to add an RCBS sigle stage sometime in the future for my rifle needs. I use for the most part my Dillon as a sigle stage for 223, 308 and 30-06 requirements.

If you start off with the sinle stage, most of the items bought that go along with the hobby will be useful with a progressive press.

Very good points. I started with a RCBS Rockchucker and now have a Hornady LNL progressive. I don't even reload rifle rounds but I do occationally use the single stage still to resize batches of .40 S&W and check them in a gauge before reloading. Then I'll throw them into the progressive. Also- like you said- most of the other stuff is certainly reusable for both. Kinda like guns- when you add up the costs of "all the other stuff" you'd find it's more than the actual press itself!

Originally Posted by USMA-82

Ken

Sound advice.

My dad reloads, but I'm sure I'll be asking questuion here as well.

Back
Top Bottom