• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading Philosophy

I'd say "all of the above" for me.

In earnest, I started reloading because I like milsurp rifles and I knew the surplus would run out eventually (particularly for HXP and 7.62x54R). It's nice to be able to make it myself and not be at the mercy of vendors (other than for components). I'm up to five calibers and counting.

Just because I like data, I have been tracking my cost savings versus buying new and at my current rate, should recover my current costs sometime near the end of next year. A caliber like 303 Brit can save you a healthy amount of money. Even non-esoteric calibers like 308 and 22-250 I see a good discount.

I would also say "you don't save, you just shoot more" has some validity for me. When I shoot some reloads, I just start processing the brass again. I see this as a good thing though.

It's also fun for me. I like making stuff and it is an enjoyable activity on bad weather days or when I can't go to the range.

I also got "lucky" and had some gift cards I was able to use for some equipment. For some other stuff I asked for it for Christmas and birthdays, etc. It allowed me to get setup rather inexpensively. Got my tumbler 50% off on a Black Friday deal.

I've been reloading over 40 years, starting at 16 years old with RCBS Junior press for .243 Winchester. Thankfully I didn't blow up either the gun or myself as I didn't have anyone to teach me the basics.

So true. I was maybe 17 when I started totally on my own. Looking back though it gives me great pause to think how times were way different than today as we had more common sense and we were taught to use our brains. We did so much with so little.

Reloading is "quiet time" for me. We have a two car garage built into the house and it's my work space. I have my motorcycle, rollaways, bench, shelves, baby-milling machine, drill press, spare computer and reloading bench all in there. When I go in the garage and close the door, no one comes in to talk to me, no one bothers me, I generally don't bring a phone with me. I work on my bike, I work on guns and I reload.

Of all these things, reloading is "quiet time", it's meditation, zen, what ever you want to call it. I've been reloading 9mm for a year now - my wife gave me a Dillon 550 last year for Christmas - and it's quality time for my soul.

Look in the shell to make sure there's powder, place the bullet and hold it as I cycle the handle, glance to make sure I've got shells still feeding down, look at the primer feeder to make sure it's rotating; stop every so often to to check the powder charge on the scale. About every 100 rounds or so, chamber check the rounds, box them, label the box with the powder charge and the bullet weight.

Not complicated at all, because I'm only doing 9mm at this point.

I don't know, or care if it's cost effective. It's time out from work stress, time out from life stress.

I started reloading when WWB was nearing $16 per 100, and every time I stopped off to get ammo on my way to the range, I was forking out $120-150 on various ammo for the day. An older guy at the range I knew reloaded, so I began picking his brain about it. I bought a single stage kit, read everything I could get my hands on, and havent looked back. When bullets started creeping up in price, I began casting.

Last time I put a number to it, I could load 100rds of 45ACP with my cast bullets for $6/100 and load premium match ammo for my 308's at $48/100. Thats a significant difference. Above everything though, as Mac said, anything I could need or want, is available right downstairs on my bench. No more going to the store and seeing my favorite round out of stock, or rising prices.

Additionally, I enjoy the hobby of it. I'll talk reloading at length the same way one would talk about guns, sports, or any other hobby. I have a few single stage set-ups and small stand alone work benches I use as loaners, and have gotten many people into the hobby that otherwise wouldn't have considered it much because of the initial cost involved or just simply not having a mentor or someone willing to help, show them the basics.

I started reloading when WWB was nearing $16 per 100, and every time I stopped off to get ammo on my way to the range, I was forking out $120-150 on various ammo for the day. An older guy at the range I knew reloaded, so I began picking his brain about it. I bought a single stage kit, read everything I could get my hands on, and havent looked back. When bullets started creeping up in price, I began casting.
pretty much my story. long before the interweb the only info you could get really was to infiltrate the porch crowd. that group of old timers sitting out on the front porch of the club and had been shooting and reloading since moses was in nappies. you picked their brains. when i first started thinking about reloading, just the term "reloading dies" conjered up images of machinists and tool makers making the whole process intimidating. these old guys took the mystery out of reloading. if you were lucky, you'd get an invite to their house and they'd show you the ropes. now, you can take jim's class, get pretty much one on one instruction, and get all the info in one day to start out on your own.

in the old days, i could reload 100 .45 acps for just over 5 bucks. it was a no brainer. i haven't calculated my costs recently, but buying in bulk like i do certainly saves money as well. damn, anyone remember paying 7.99/1000 for primers? or a hundred for .99. i don't think they break a brick now to sell a 100.

...anyone remember paying 7.99/1000 for primers? or a hundred for .99. i don't think they break a brick now to sell a 100.

Not philosophical, but the Old Saybrook (CT) Wal-Mart used to sell CCI primers by the package (100 count) and even had three varieties of powder, shot, wads and hulls. Key words: "used to"! (they weren't 99¢, of course...)

Last edited:
Just one more aspect in my adventures as I learn to re-load, I get too meet new like minded people when I buy components whether it's from a trade off of Craigslist or from another NES'er or from a shop that I frequent or a place I've just discovered that sells components. I like the association with all the knowledge of the craft that I've gathered so far,lots of people are willing to share the aspects of reloading when your buying something from them. I didn't know much till i took a class , and probably still don't know 1/2 of much. Learning every day . It's a past time that turns out a product that I can use. At least now when the Porch Crowdgathers at the Club I have a firm understanding of what they're talking about and I get to ask an honest question and mostly get a serious response,

I think I save a little on rifle ammo. No so much on pistol. It’s a fun hobby though and I can load stuff like .38 spl wadcutters that aren’t readily available at the gun shop.

I hear you. Hardware stores used to carry guns and ammo for the most part.
yup even in mass, used to stop in McGraffs pick up a box or 2 and some snacks on the walk down to the old train platform where we would plink for a few hours and then walk home. No problems, no issues. Ace hardware carried a decent selection of ammo also.

Back
Top Bottom