• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading Philosophy

The Goose

NES Member
One of the most common questions I see regarding reloading and casting is how much can I save. Is it really worth it. The other night I went to a friends house for dinner and it came up in an odd way. My friend is an accountant and not a shooter. We were discussing retirement and he asked me how I would spend my time when I retire (very soon). I said that for one thing I would spend a lot more time shooting and he asked me how nuch that costs. I could not really answer him. So he said if you go tio the range for a typical shooting session what would it cost. I still could not really answer him and he found that baffling. He likes to assign numbers and values to everything. Later on I kept thinking about his question and particularly how it pertained to retirement. So pardon me if I wax philosophical.
Without consciously doing so I have spent a good portion of my adult shooting life preparing for retirement. I have accumulated components, tools and knowledge. I have a shed full of lead alloy. Wheel weights, flashing, range lead, pipes, etc. I have invested in good quality molds, furnaces, smelting equipment and so on. Reloading equioment, presses, dies, sizers. Components, brass, primers, powder. Hand tools of all sorts, a lathe, drill press, grinder and more. This hobby made it possible for me to shoot rare, old calibers at a reasonable cost. Instead of just pumping money into more ammo to blow through at the range I sought sustainability. When ammo supplies and components were scarce it never affected me. I kept my costs down on my regulat shooting activities while simultaneously tooling up for the future. I was in no hurry so I watched for deals and snapped up good bargains even if I did not need them right then.
So when I am asked about cost I still cannot answer that question. What I do know is that as I look forward and see the day coming when my disposable income will be reduced I take comfort. There is a cost associated with our hobby, it is not cheap. But it can be made manageable. My opinion is that the cost savings to pusuing reloading and casting is huge and not always immediately apparent. Although one can start the process at any time I will say that the younger and sooner the better. Invest in good quality equipment that will last and begin hording components. It will stand you in good stead in days to come. Whether as a hedge against leaner days to come or unforeseen legislaton that could effect availability it just makes sense. Just my .02.

I get that same question almost every time I tell someone I reload - do you really save that much? or how much per round does it cost you? I don't know either and I tell them I don't really care because I don't do it to save money per se but so I can make what I want, or need whenever I want. I can make as much or as little as I want and most importantly, I can make accurate ammo. In most cases more accurate than I can buy or would want to spend that much on if I was to buy it. And I can make less than full power loads for older guns or just for comfort factor. Cost is really my last concern.

It is cheaper than buying match-grade ammo at a buck-a-shot or custom ammo like spreader-wad loads. (it used to be cheaper in general, but now it's about even)
you can tell if you have good reloads with a semi-auto when you can put your hat or a bucket down & the empty cases all land in it ;)

I started reloading and buying tools, dies and components only in the last year or so, I have managed to accumulate quite a bit of it all by watching the classifieds ,ebay , craigslist(not so much) and by word of mouth at work and my range. Doesn't take up all my free time either I reload a coupel nights or 1 weekend afternoon and I shoot every other week on the average of 3-4 hundred centerfire and 3-4 hundred rimfire. In handguns and rifles. In 10 months I retire and more than likely will spend more range time. I'm preparing for that too. I buy components or ammo if it's on sale when I have disposable income rattling around in my accounts. Several people on this forum have helped me, and I need to say thanks and I seriously appreciate all the help. I only wish I had started a whole lot sooner. Life does get in the way! Reloading does save me $$$ and I can pretty much tell you what it costs me to load 9mm or .45 ACP it isn't the determining factor, I don't have to make special trips JUST to pick up ammo on a range day. Also It gives me a rewarding feeling when I pull the trigger and it goes BOOM and it lands in a circle down range or hits a gong and rings out for anyone else near me to hear. Feels good to showboat on occasion.

Last edited:
I get asked that often when I’m at the range. I have calculated the approx cost of my reloads in various calibers so I usually can answer them with an approx savings. But I do tell them that saving money isn’t the main reason why I do it. I enjoy cranking out ammo of varying power and not needing to search for ammo online or at shops.

I shoot a lot of 9mm for action shooting and using factory ammo that’s usually way over minimum/major power factor, doesn’t make sense. No need for the extra recoil. That’s where reloading is critical. I’m not saving a whole lot of money with 9mm but for 357 and 44 magnum, the savings are pretty significant of course.

I just turned 30 and I’m glad I got into reloading when I was 26. Most of the reloaders I know at my local club are at least twice my age. But not the case when I go to IDPA/USPSA matches. Much broader age group with reloaders.

Then theres always the "you wont save anything youll just shoot more" angle. Not sure if its true for me. I like to keep track of what things are costing and will write on a box of primers or a jug of powder where and when it was bought and for how much. In my notes I record what each component is costing me and what a particular load is costing me. That will tell me what Im paying for a cylinder/clip/mag of whatever Im shooting. Just me. I do the same thing with food. How much things cost to make a meal, divided by how many meals I get out of it. Guys in work will say, "mmm, smells good" and Ill tell them what it cost, which is usually less than half what they just paid for their crappy #3 meal from the drive-thru.

I have to say one thing I dont really keep track of is what equipment is costing. Press, dies, accessories, molds, etc. Thats a cost that needs to be taken into account somehow, but I dont have the financial background to know how to properly take it into account over time. Its like an investment that will eventually pay for itself and then start to save money for you if you shoot enough.

Also, there is the time cost. Some people look at it as a chore and they would rather pay a few extra bucks to free up their time. Others look at it a a hobby and enjoy the loading process. Everyones different.

Just got into casting and can see the savings adding up there, especially if you have a lead source thats free or close to it.

.......We were discussing retirement and he asked me how I would spend my time when I retire (very soon). I said that for one thing I would spend a lot more time shooting and he asked me how much that costs. I could not really answer him.......

I want to spend more time at the range also. While I'm retired now, there is another phase of my retirement that is within the 6 year horizon. It's not really complicated, but I won't bore/bother you with details. But in that next phase, funds for shooting will be more limited. So, like you I reload. At the present time, ammo is readily available, at a reasonable cost, and we budget for it. Down the road, the reloading will just be a normal way of life for me. Like you, I don't really know the exact cost per round. I'm O.K. with that.

Merry Christmas to all.

Jay

One of the most enjoyable feelings as a result of reloading was having my 87 year old grandfather shoot reduced 30-06 loads out of my 1903A3. He loved it since it wouldn’t break his shoulder lol. He could have shot that all day long. Good times.

One of the most enjoyable feelings as a result of reloading was having my 87 year old grandfather shoot reduced 30-06 loads out of my 1903A3. He loved it since it wouldn’t break his shoulder lol. He could have shot that all day long. Good times.
Thats an excellent point. Having to search out and pay for different types of loads in the same caliber would be cost prohibitive if its even possible. I would imagine most manufacturers are picking some happy medium that will function properly in 99% of peoples guns and going with that.

Brought my uncle to the range a while back. Brought along a couple revolvers, one in 45 colt, the other in 357 mag. Had a hot, medium and powder puff load for each. He was able to try each and shoot what he liked. The hot 45 colt load resulted in exactly one round going down range and him saying, "Lol, thats too much for me." The powder puff 357 was not enough. He liked the mid range 357 so much, he bought a GP100 when he got home and called to ask for the load that he shot when he was here.

Loading your own gives you the ability to taylor each load for each particular shooter. New, experienced, young, old, arthritic, recoil sensitive, etc. Impossible to even put a price on putting a smile on the face of someone you love.

I agree with you OP. Some, myself included, would rather invest a bit extra up-front while having a reduced expenditure over-time (easier to excuse this expensive hobby, long-term viability). Even if the cost in equipment is never fully recouped.

But, some of the additional advantages include:
Experimentation (many knobs to turns) and related knowledge gained
Precision loads
Tuning
Long-term "discount" relative to commercial loads
Self-reliance

Disadvantages:
Path to OCD
Up-front cost
Space
Time sink (or, not. Like fishing???)

From my limited experience, reloads have always shown better performance than match grade loads. More so after dialing the reloads in. If anything, you'd easily be able to compete against the high-end of match grade ammo.

I don't really think you save money at the end of it, in terms of an annual spending sort of way. You will spend the same $$$$ that you would
have spent on loaded ammo... because that'
I get that same question almost every time I tell someone I reload - do you really save that much? or how much per round does it cost you? I don't know either and I tell them I don't really care because I don't do it to save money per se but so I can make what I want, or need whenever I want. I can make as much or as little as I want and most importantly, I can make accurate ammo. In most cases more accurate than I can buy or would want to spend that much on if I was to buy it. And I can make less than full power loads for older guns or just for comfort factor. Cost is really my last concern.

Cost is always a concern, because if it wasn't you could simply pay someone else to load what you want.

That said I think the reality is that in most cases you don't really save anything in an annual $ spent on ammo sort of
way- but in that same period of time you will have gotten more ammo for your money, a lot more ammo. Basically with
centerfire, at least at the time it was like "Pay the costs ofr two 1000 round cases, get an entire extra case of ammo for free".

-Mike

I reload a significant amount of match rifle ammo. With just a little discipline, there are significant savings to be had. Bulk over-runs and/or blems can cut the cost of projectiles in half. Blems totally OK for 200 yards or less. If I miss the 10-ring it's me and/or the rifle. Not beating the crap out of your brass with hot loads & re-sizing only as much as necessary can get many more reloads from the same case. An occasional good sale on powder or primers helps, but I see the most significant savings in projectiles and brass.

I'll have to check invoices to do the exact math, but based on some lucky buying this year thanks to tips from NES friends I'll have about two seasons worth of .30-06, .308, .223, and even 6.5 Creedmoor at a very low cost.

edit - Garand .30-06 match loads for CMP 200 yards $0.34 in cost of projectile, powder, and primer. Add about $0.04 per piece of brass, accounting for number of reloads per each piece.

However, even if just break-even, I'd still reload because I like the challenge and science of it.

Last edited:
If you look at reloading as strictly a matter of economics it looks like it makes sense on paper. Factor in your time including research,reloading, testing and chasing down components it's not worth it. You have to stay with it because you truly enjoy time spent doing it. A relatively cheap hobby.
I would hate to add up how much it cost me per pound of fish caught or game killed.

I have to say one thing I dont really keep track of is what equipment is costing. Press, dies, accessories, molds, etc. Thats a cost that needs to be taken into account somehow, but I dont have the financial background to know how to properly take it into account over time.

When you do, factor in the resale value. I while back I bought a Dillon 650 while an acquaintance bought a Lee Pro 1000. I told him that my machine will end up costing me less than his cost him. The difference will show up when/if we decide to sell them.

For me there's an added benefit of relaxation. It's a bit of stress relief. I enjoy reloading. I enjoy creating something.

It's just a hobby for me that gives me a sense of satisfaction, and some fine ammo. I also reload some reduced load 9mm for a friend who can't handle my normal very snappy loads. He shoots more just because he's more comfortable and feels more in control.

When you do, factor in the resale value. I while back I bought a Dillon 650 while an acquaintance bought a Lee Pro 1000. I told him that my machine will end up costing me less than his cost him. The difference will show up when/if we decide to sell them.
Thanks, thats something I hadnt taken into consideration.

For me there is an additional factor. I shoot a lot of obscure 19th century cartridges. Some would be very expensive and others are simply unavailable. A glaring example would be the Martini Henry 577/450. Yes the dies cost me about 85.00 and the bullet mold was about the same. The brass that I form it from cost me 1.00 each. The alloy is range lead and other soft lead like flashing which cost me nothing. A lot of time spent forming brass, casting, loading etc However, factory loaded ammo, if I can find it, runs about 175.00 per 20. Or 50/90 Sharp's is 85.00 per 20. Dutch Beaumont .43 is about the same. And I shoot about two dozen other exotic calibers. At the end of the day my expenses for most of these oddball rounds is not much more then many regular calibers. And for many of these calibers each trip to the range gets cheaper as the basic investment is fixed the ongoing expense is powder and primers. Because I load mostly black powder or low pressure smokeless the brass rarely wears out. My last trip to the range with a 577/450 I put 60 rounds downrange. Check out that math.

the time involved really doesn't matter does it? we all spend time on things we like to do...fishing, hunting, walking aimlessly around a gun show, rebuilding a car, taking naps...it can go on and on. but i don't think the savings is there now as much as it use to be when i started reloading 40 years ago. back then it was a given, you want to shoot a lot you had to reload.

i think getting into it now, with the cost of quality equipment and components to start, puts a lot of people off.

I originally got into reloading because of the cost savings. When my father passed away he left me a few firearms, one of which was his Dan Wesson 44vh, I never had a chance to shoot it with him before he passed so shortly after I went to MFS, bought a box of Magtech 240gr @ $40/50. After the first cylinder I knew this was going to be expensive fast. I went online and being the cheap Jew that I am bought a Lee Loader. Realized quickly that while it was cheaper the ol whack a round sucked. Then the addiction began, bought a Hornady LNL from a member, bought a Lee Turret eventually and recently added a SDB from a member. I choose to only shoot FMJ through the .44 but everything else gets whatever plated bullet is cheapest I can find. I've been fortunate to meet some of the right people and get a lot of my components at cost now. I don't get to shoot much lately but the components keep coming in for future use.

I do use a app on my phone and calculate costs down to the very penny and there's no way you can buy ammo for this cheap and this good of quality. The biggest savings for me is .44MAG, .308, .300 win mag and .357 SIG.

I also like to shoot a lot of 30-40 Krag so reloading is virtually a must since its hard to find ammo for and when you do its big $$$

That reminds me, I need to give you that 30-40 brass I found at the range months back....

The end goal of reloading is having the ability to load what you want and need at your finger tips.
In the end you are not saving money per say but I can shoot a,lot more spending $1000 on supplies and a few hours before I go to bed than I can spending $1000 on ammo.

Now as far as retirement well figure my pay out on my 401k is at full value at 71 years old I'm not to worried about if I can afford it.
I do not have a lot of options for making more money with the "free time" at home so I reload.
Reloading for me is also a slight escape and relaxing . I like smelting lead also. Fire molten metal ,being out doors , keeping the neighbors say WTF is all good.

One thing I do is I figure out how much it cost in material for my reloads I then "buy" my reload off myself at a 10% increase with keeps me funded to resupply . As mentioned keep enough on hand for 2-3 years and your going to be ahead. I restock heavy about 2\3s through my supply or when I can afford to.
I did not really need more bullets but another sale said other wise. I picked up some match 30 cal for sale on deep dis count again this year. So I'm set for a few years on 223 and 30 cal . now to find some .312" and .323" bullet on sale.

Last edited:
I've been reloading since '78. Mostly for cost as cheap ammo was not as available as it is now. I was looking for more accurate ammo also. I find now in this climate I can have ammo when there is none. I have found the Hornady headspace and bullet comparator gauges to be essential to accurate rifle rounds. I don't recall exactly what my RCBS Rockchucker kit cost back in '78 but I'm thinking $150 or so. If you buy smart you will do much better in today's money.

I've been reloading over 40 years, starting at 16 years old with RCBS Junior press for .243 Winchester. Thankfully I didn't blow up either the gun or myself as I didn't have anyone to teach me the basics. Through the years I've added a few more presses, including a Dillon 550, RCBS Rockchucker (used $50), and a PW 900 for shotgun. The PW came cheap along with so much shot I thought I broke the springs in my car taking it all home. That was only 5 or 6 years ago, my friends were shooting trap and I thought that I always reloaded for everything else so what the heck. The real bonus was that after running the numbers, I was loading a box of shells for about $2.50. If it weren't for this deal, I wouldn't have starting reloading shotgun shells.

Through the years I have shot a lot and sometimes I have calculated the cost and sometimes not. When I did calculate the costs it always reinforced my thought that it was cost effective. Of course the savings wasn't the same for 9mm and .45 ACP as it was for my highpower ammo in .223 and .308 but savings are savings. Most of my shooting always demanded accuracy so factoring that into the equation, my savings were more substantial than if I were buying ammo due to cheap prices that shot hugh groups.

Looking back, I wouldn't change much. I've often said that reloading gives me almost as much satisfaction as the actual shooting. Working up a load to be as accurate as it can be gives me a great sense of accomplishment. I have guns that have NEVER seen a factory round put through them. I've always been a ammo and component horder. Find .22 ammo that shoots tight 50 yard groups with my bullseye pistol, buy 5 cases of it. Group buy for Sierra bullets, 10,000+ rounds weren't uncommon. In the past I've had over 200 pounds of powder in stock and I won't even talk about the primers.

Today I can say that reloading is still rewarding and cost effective and the longer you do it, the better the savings will be. Buy the best equipment you can afford because of the reasons given by others. A friend of mine who shoots mostly bullseye was dragged by me to a casting seminar sponsored by this forum a few years back. He didn't want to go but did it as a favor to me (he told me later) so I wouldn't have to go alone. He immediately became interested and started buying equipment. The funny thing is I rethought the situation and decided I did not have the time to give to casting. He on the other hand casts massive amouns of bullets and always passes some my way if I need them. Is it cost effective for him? He tells me that these days shooting .22 puts a bad taste in his mouth as the .45's he loads with his cast bullets ( mostly free lead we get from a range we belong to) cost less to shoot. Imagine that... People ask if it is cost effective!

Merry Christmas and hopefully Santa brought you all something related to reloading...

Not a big deal in some places unless they have a restriction for storage per local or state.
Transportation is another thing person/private transport is love mitted to 50lbs and must be in a 1" thick wooden box.
Some storage regs also for amounts over 50lbs
NFPA NO. 495-1992. Has the details and may have been updated?

Back
Top Bottom