• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading Output Speed

The Dillon powder measures are AWESOME!!! a small dial and you can adjust in the most minute amounts. You can add whatever dies you want to the press as that is up to you. If you want different dies then buy them and put them on the press. I had a Lee Progressive 1000 and if you were .1 grain off you had to remove these disks and try to figure out which one will get you "close". "Close" being the operative word. So if you're working up a load and want to go up .1 grains in many cases it won't allow you to. How can that be quality? With the Dillon a small turn of the dial gets you EXACTLY where you want or need to be. No removing anything or readjusting anything just a 5 second adjustment.

Pete
Right color! Wrong company! I'll take the company that sells a metering insert for Six dollars Seventy cents. Twenty one dollars for rifle. Set and forget it. You can buy at least seven of them for the price of ONE Dillon powder measure. Sure, money is no object, amortization, etc. etc. Warranty warranty... It just works... Everyone else uses them so they must be better... Dillon does not have a monopoly on all things good!

Go to MidwayUSA and read the reviews for the Hornady LnL AP. They really say it all.

Last edited:
Go to MidwayUSA and read the reviews for the Hornady LnL AP. They really say it all.
I almost bought the LnL when I bought my 550. Because I was inexperienced I knew most anything I needed to know about Dillon presses I could read about in past post. Although Hornady make a fine press there's not alot of owners out there. One time I posted a question about my 550 in GT and got a correct answer in 5 minutes. Everybody is different but I don't see myself worrying about any money I invest in reloading. Regardless of what brand press you buy it doesn't take too long to recoup any money spent. [wink]

Right color! Wrong company! I'll take the company that sells a metering insert for Six dollars Seventy cents. Twenty one dollars for rifle. Set and forget it. You can buy at least seven of them for the price of ONE Dillon powder measure. Sure, money is no object, amortization, etc. etc. Warranty warranty... It just works... Everyone else uses them so they must be better... Dillon does not have a monopoly on all things good!

But you still have a SUBPAR machine when compared to the Dillon. Cost is not as big an issue to me as quality is MUCH more important.

[thinking]
But you still have a SUBPAR machine when compared to the Dillon. Cost is not as big an issue to me as quality is MUCH more important.
You SAY it is subpar. How does that make it so? Can you point out a feature the Dillon presses have a Hornady press doesn't? Or is it better simply because it's a Dillon.... well I can't argue with that. [thinking]

Last edited:
The Dillon 550 has been around 20 times longer than the LNL press which makes it tried and true. When you buy a Dillon you know that it will last a lifetime. With the LNL it hasn't been around long enough to be truly tested. I've never loaded on a LNL so I can't say that it isn't a quality piece as I'm sure it is but compared to Dillon and their NO B.S. warranty and commitment to their products speaks for itself. It's almost like buying a motorcycle. You can spend a lot less on a Hyosung and get decent performance but it is made in Korea and VERY difficult to get parts and there are VERY few dealers that can service the bike. If you spend the money on a name brand such as Yamaha, Honda, etc. you can get it serviced anyways and can always get parts for it. Plus, the warranty is MUCH better.

Most of the pros. use Dillons unless they get their ammo supplied to them so that speaks for itself.

Pete

I'm gonna be the first GM that loads on a Lee Pro 1000, you just wait and see[rofl2]

You'll switch to the blue side trust me!!! Did you get your Bedell yet?

I haven't been shooting in almost 2 months now. Training again in MMA so my time is limited.

Pete

I've never loaded on a LNL so I can't say that it isn't a quality piece as I'm sure it is but compared to Dillon

So, you've never used the Hornady but the Dillon is better? Why, because you have a Dillon? Well, as long as you have an informed opinion. [rolleyes]

Comparing an L-N-L to a Dillon 550 is not a fair comparison. It's more like a 650, but with a better powder measure. I know because I've actually used them both.

Just because something has been around longer doesn't mean that it's better. VHS was around for years, under your logic, it must mean that VHS is better than DVD.

Someone (I'm not sure if it was this thread or another) mentioned a survey that said that 90% of competitive shooters load on a Dillon. This does not surprise me in the least; the reason for this is in your post PistolPete: The Dillon has been around much longer than the L-N-L AP.

Think about it. Let's say that in January Lee starts producing a cast iron machine that is a modern copy of the old Star Progressive Reloader (the Dillon 1050 is a cheaper version of the Star), but modified so that it could load rifle or pistol, loaded up with modern features, with a case feeder and bullet loader on it, and a price tag of $350. Let's also say that this machine gets rave reviews everywhere. Such a press would immediately make all other progressive machines obsolete. And yet if you surveyed competitive shooters in April and asked them what kind of a press they used, 90% would say Dillon. Why? Because nobody is going to throw out a perfectly good machine to get the latest thing - no matter how good a deal it is. I'd be interested to see a survey that asked shooters which presses they've bought in the last six months.

I really don't have a dog in this race. The first press I ever owned was a Dillon Square Deal (that I sold to Dwarven1). I have both a Dillon 550 that I bought, and a Hornady L-N-L that I received as a gift. Both are quality machines (calling either "subpar" is just absurd) and both companies have excellent customer service. You won't go wrong with either company. Dillon has been making progressive presses longer, but Hornady isn't exactly a fly-by-night outfit (just for the record, they've been around as a company longer than Dillon, and they've been in the press business since 1972 when they bought Pacific).

Having real experience with both machines, if/when I buy another progressive press, I will get a Hornady L-N-L AP over a Dillon 650 because it is a better value. I think for myself, and therefore don't care how many people use the Dillon. I'm also not affected by other Dillon users badmouthing all the other presses. The Dillon is a fine machine - I know because I have one, the Hornady is a better deal - I know because I have one of those too.

Last edited:
I think the argument between what is a better powder measure in terms of caliber changes has two side. It seems that the backing for the Hornady is that it has the micrometer adjustments or the quick change inserts, you need only one measure which is economical. However, the measure stays with the machine so to change a load you need to empty out the powder and dial in or check the charges. By design, although a more expensive route, the Dillon powder measure stays with the removable tool head and dies as a unit. You need not empty or refill it or touch the dial for caliber changes. There is an aftermarket brass micrometer adjustment available but it is not needed. Anytime you change a charge, it will take multiple throws and weight checks to dial it in regardless of what knob you are turning. Good advice in reloading is to get a setting that works and stick with it. Consistency is the key to accuracy and reliabilty. I think that the Dillon system works along those lines as well as giving you the ability to easily get by with one powder measure.

Whatever you have or get, enjoy it and make enough ammo to wear out all your barrels.

PP and SM, I've not stopped shooting but watch MMA while I dryfire [wink]

Talking to a dillon owner is like talking to a Harley Davidson rider about motor cycles or talking to a glock owner about guns all 3 will say the same thing.
"Theres nothing to talk about mine is the best"

Talking to a dillon owner is like talking to a Harley Davidson rider about motor cycles or talking to a glock owner about guns all 3 will say the same thing.
"Theres nothing to talk about mine is the best"

No, it's just that everyone that doesn't own one is just jealous and kicking themselves for not buying on in the first place... HAHA just kidding though. Any press will work for the most part and it is totally an opinion on which is better for the person using it. If the LNL works better for you than a Dillon than great. But if you're trying to convice the rest of us it is better you're wasting your breath. As is the same with us trying to convince you. I prefer 1911's over other types of guns. Does that make a 1911 better? No, many people hate them. It's all personal preference. But like anything you always get what you pay for.

But like anything you always get what you pay for.

Not true, and this doesn't have anything to do with reloading. Just because something is less expensive, does not make it an inferior product. If so, tell that to the lower cost vehicle manufactures who happen to have the best quality ratings...

As with anything in this world, everyone will have their own personal preference, and opinion. For ANYONE to say that they are wrong, is just plain ignorant.

For me, I started reloading to save money. I chose the most economical, feature rich press. I have reloaded thousands, and thousands of rounds on my Lee presses (I own 3) and am truly satisfied with the quality, speed, features, price, and customer service. I have only had to contact them with questions, none of my presses have failed me.

If you like Dillon, Hornady, Lee, RCBS etc... By all means buy what you like. I have seen these type of discussions over, and over again. weather it's the old AK or AR debate, or the 1911 or Glock debate. NO one is right, and NO one is wrong.....

Not true, and this doesn't have anything to do with reloading. Just because something is less expensive, does not make it an inferior product. If so, tell that to the lower cost vehicle manufactures who happen to have the best quality ratings...

As with anything in this world, everyone will have their own personal preference, and opinion. For ANYONE to say that they are wrong, is just plain ignorant.

For me, I started reloading to save money. I chose the most economical, feature rich press. I have reloaded thousands, and thousands of rounds on my Lee presses (I own 3) and am truly satisfied with the quality, speed, features, price, and customer service. I have only had to contact them with questions, none of my presses have failed me.

If you like Dillon, Hornady, Lee, RCBS etc... By all means buy what you like. I have seen these type of discussions over, and over again. weather it's the old AK or AR debate, or the 1911 or Glock debate. NO one is right, and NO one is wrong.....
I agree with you and I also use a Lee press and have had no problems at all. besides all these dillon guys with they'er 400 rounds an hour..... well I don't want to sell the rounds, I want to shoot them I enjoy reloading I'm in no hurry

Sure, everyone has opinions.. however there are only a few that have actually used or own both. Those povs have more merit IMHO.

I have been reloading since 1974. Whether I have done it correctly is still being decided [grin]

I have 2 Dillon 550 presses and a RCBS JR Single stage left. I have tried the older Lee presses and did not like them.

The Dillon works best for me with what I am doing. If I want to work up a new load, the RCBS comes out again as it is still the best press I own.

As for the Dillon Powder measures, I have four of them and only one works accurately. I am still looking for a better measure as I really think they suck.

The best press on the market is the one that works best for you. I stick with Dillon because of the warranty and how easy they are to deal with. I also support them because they support the sports I shoot. The marketing is working as far as I am concerned.

On the "You get what you pay for". Pete, I started loading with a 9MM Lee hand loader and a mallet. production wise it was real slow. It was cheap and worked great. I got some real good accurate loads from it. The powder measure I wish I had never sold was the RCBS Little Dandy. Again, it was slow, but it worked and was accurate.

Depending on why you are reloading, you can get set up with short money or you can mortgage your house and buy a commercial loader. Either way, you will spend time and money to make mistakes and hopefully you will learn from the mistakes and survive with only minor scars.

regards,

Back
Top Bottom