Reloading manuals with 500S&W data

JackO

Instructor
What reloading manuals have data and the drawing for 500S&W MAG ? I have a couple of reasonably modern ones (Lyman 48th edition, and Lee), and non of them has this data.

I understand, I can get loading data from powder manufacturer's web site (and I did this), but I'd like to check with the reloading manuals, and a drawing of the case with dimensions helps too.

If anybody has a drawing or can scan and either email, or post it here, I would really appreciate it.

Hi JackO!
This is a diagram for an upcoming bullet group buy that I am in on... Has the case dims included....

Most of my loading data comes from a number of sources.... These range from Ranger Rick to various powder manufacturers. I am using H110 (Hodgdon) for my magnums right now but plan on checking out N110 (VV-Cleaner but more expensive) and 5744 (Accurate).... I know a lot of guys use Titegroup (also Hodgdon), particularly for reduced loads.... I've found that most of my regular loading manuals (Speer et al) are "cast light" or "S&W500 light".... I have high hopes for the new and revised Lyman Cast Bullets handbook when it comes out but it could be a couple of months before that happens....

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=867465

Attachments

• 500_S&W_Magnum~Starline~Lyman_Mould-500294_Case.jpg
    500_S&W_Magnum~Starline~Lyman_Mould-500294_Case.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Bob,
Thank you so much for the picture

Are you using 1.625 as the "trim to" dimension?

No problem..... Hopefully it will be a help....

I don't trim any of my pistol brass (including the 500 brass)..... Only the necked rifle stuff....

For all my magnum rounds I strong roll crimp in the cannelure except for one bullet (358429) which I shoot out of an old Colt Trooper III.... That one I crimp over the front drive band to keep my OAL under the max allowed for that gun.... Have not measured it but based on my crimping consistency and the fact that I have shot this brass (500 Mag) a lot I would be surprised if you would want/need to trim...

Last edited:
It's one of the reasons to stay current with the newest version of the reloading data books. New calibers come out all the time. The Lyman 48th edition pre-dates the S&W 500 magnum, so it wouldn't be in there.
The current edition of the Lyman book #49, published in 2008, has it in there, with some reload data. Only one reference for cast lead though.

I'd suggest that you spring for the newest edition of any book that you want to use. Mark your old and out of date books: "For Reference Only" so that you don't make any mistakes (by grabbing the wrong one.)

What reloading manuals have data and the drawing for 500S&W MAG ? I have a couple of reasonably modern ones (Lyman 48th edition, and Lee), and non of them has this data.

I understand, I can get loading data from powder manufacturer's web site (and I did this), but I'd like to check with the reloading manuals, and a drawing of the case with dimensions helps too.

If anybody has a drawing or can scan and either email, or post it here, I would really appreciate it.

The pages that come with Lee carbide dies have the dimensions as well as many different loads with different powders.

Back
Top Bottom