Reloading Makers' Space

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
I'm putting this in the General Forum rather than in Reloading because the people that read that already reload, and I'm looking for the opinions of newbies/outsiders.

I'm thinking of starting up a reloading maker's space in Littleton. I'll put in benches, a bunch of presses, I'll have tools, dies, gages, etc, and myself or someone else will be there to provide subject matter expertise.

I'll need to pay rent and utilities, so this won't be for charity.

Is this something that would be of interest to people? What would be a reasonable fee to charge?

I'm thinking some sort of monthly membership plus a small hourly usage charge, or without a monthly membership and a larger hourly usage charge.

I'm open to suggestions and ideas.

I'm already reloading at home, so I'm not your customer.

However, if you were to stock components that can be bought in an "as you use them" fashion, that would be a huge bonus.

When I first started handloading I would have *loved* to be able to load 100 rounds with one powder, 100 with another, and 100 with a third, without having to buy three pounds of powder. Maybe "weigh the container before and after" and round in the house's favor or something.

Have you looked into liability insurance? It's really a cool idea, but I've never heard of it being done before. I know you or somebody would be there to supervise/help and answer questions, but I'd hate to think of being sued by someone who double-charges a round or loads a squib.

I would love to have access to a decent automated annealer. I don't do enough precision reloading to justify the initial cost.

As cool as it sounds, I just dont see a ton of people biting. Few reasons: we are talking about people who do cost analysis on 9mm down to fractions of the cent. The fees will be added to that cost. The stocking option is also a tough one. Oh you have 147gr FMJ RN, I only run 147gr FMJ HP. Reloaders are so weird & picky. Lol

On the otherside: if anyone is thinking about starting to reload, this idea is huge. You cant put a price on the knowledge of having a seasoned reloader there offering advice. Also, start up costs can be huge with reloading. It's not just the cost of the press. It's the small things that Eddie mentioned above that can rack up costs.

As cool as it sounds, I just dont see a ton of people biting. Few reasons: we are talking about people who do cost analysis on 9mm down to fractions of the cent. The fees will be added to that cost. The stocking option is also a tough one. Oh you have 147gr FMJ RN, I only run 147gr FMJ HP. Reloaders are so weird & picky. Lol

On the otherside: if anyone is thinking about starting to reload, this idea is huge. You cant put a price on the knowledge of having a seasoned reloader there offering advice. Also, start up costs can be huge with reloading. It's not just the cost of the press. It's the small things that Eddie mentioned above that can rack up costs.

While I agree with the first part of your post (only coated 147 gr rn bullets for me;)), I don't believe EC is catering to seasoned reloaders. So this could be a great idea for people just getting into it. Especially for those that live in an apartment or some other small space where having a reloading room might be difficult?

When I started I wish something like this was available. There are always a ton of questions and uncertainty about what to get and all the accessories needed. My question would be if you’re offering single stage or progressive presses for this. If progressive I’d be concerned with folks changing powder charges themselves and mixing up which powder they are using.

As someone that would like learn to reload, this would be great for me to learn.
BUT, after I learn I’d eather buy my own stuff, or figure it’s not for me. Either way I wouldn’t be a steady customer.
Not sure it would be worth the trouble for you.

Will you sell ammo that is made on-site, or is it for personal use only...?

If it is the former, you could have experienced reloaders pass a small certification course (that you would issue) and buyers could buy with confidence...

Will you sell ammo that is made on-site, or is it for personal use only...?

If it is the former, you could have experienced reloaders pass a small certification course (that you would issue) and buyers could buy with confidence...
You'd need an ammo license for that which I doubt EC wants to do. Not to mention the liability of someone potentially blowing up their gun from a reload. This is one of the important rules of reloading, don't give reloads to others. Some say not to even let others shoot reloads in your own guns but I'll let people shoot reloads in my guns just not in theirs.

I think a half day, or day course (don't you already offer those?) would help people get into the game.

Factor in time spend traveling there and the "rental" fee - someone who took an intro class could invest that money into their own starter kit.

It's like - If I could build a range in my backyard for the cost of my yearly membership to my club plus a little more for time spent commuting, I would never ever go to my club's range again.

Good point. But I've seen questionable factory ammo too though. I figure that somewhere during the process, a commercial endeavor could occur.

This is Jim's area of expertise, and I suspect he would not be interested it that "risk".
So I withdraw the comment but leave it posted so that others may ponder it.
~Matt

It's a great idea.
Anyone who shoots should have the know how even if they don't have the funds/time /space currently.

While I agree with the first part of your post (only coated 147 gr rn bullets for me;)), I don't believe EC is catering to seasoned reloaders. So this could be a great idea for people just getting into it. Especially for those that live in an apartment or some other small space where having a reloading room might be difficult?
exactly. I am actually in the process of downsizing and part of that is selling all my reloading stuff. :(

Also, think of what your hours are going to be, in that if it doesn’t work for many peoples schedules, then you may have already lost a very niche group of potential customers already.

I know my reloading at home is done at weird hours, haphazard throughout the week, and maybe some on the weekends, but that’s when I’m usually shooting.

I have a day job, so this wouldn't be a 9-to-5 thing. It would be evenings and possibly weekends.

I'm renting a unit to use as a classroom (which I'll rent out by the day as well) and the classroom has a good-sized room off to the side that I want to use for this makers' space. I don't plan on making a full living off of this, but it would be nice to cover the rent and have some whiskey money left over.

It would be a mix of presses at first, and I'll add to it if there's a demand. I have an annealer, and I have a Giraud trimmer. I'm going to have a lot of dies there, and I'll buy more as needed. This will be the kind of place where you can stop in with the 303 brass you've saved along with some components, and load up a supply of ammo.

I won't be selling ammo, and I anticipate that people will bring their own components. I'll occasionally pick up some items when I can get a good deal.

I need to work through the liability aspect. I'm thinking that you will have to become a member to use the stuff, at a very reasonable cost.

I don't anticipate attracting the folks that buy WWB 9mm and want to save on top of that. But if you want a Dillon 650 set up for .25-20, I'm your huckleberry.

Great idea and a quite an undertaking. Tough call on how successful it will be. I can envision folks using it to learn what they need and then move on. I would think you would have to come up with a rate structure once you get a better guage of interest . Then see if folks are willing to commit to whatever rates and durations you establish. Kind of a subscription.

I'm sure you've thought of these and more, but I felt I wanted to mention them.
Will you require a prerequisite of sorts prior to anyone using the equipment/space? I am thinking of the courses I have taken by you. Are you going to be able to watch over the quality of the materials folks are loading? For example, do they bring their own brass? Do they clean it and inspect it for pressure signs, proper lengths, etc. (novices won't be familiar with these without some up front training) prior to using the equipment? I know if they load it they own it, but I assume you would like them to come back :).

I may be interested in some specific rifle cartridge reloading tips (like .303B), but it will be only to learn enough so that I can go off on my own. The cartridge annealing is another thing I might use if available.

I'll bring the Bunnahabhain.

Have you looked into liability insurance? It's really a cool idea, but I've never heard of it being done before. I know you or somebody would be there to supervise/help and answer questions, but I'd hate to think of being sued by someone who double-charges a round or loads a squib.
That would be my worry. People suck.

I think it is an interesting idea, but the cost barrier to entry for making ammunition is really not all that high. $1000 and you are in business. Now if you bought an autoloader that could crank out thousands of 9mm or 38super pretty quickly to custom specifications you could be on to something.

Chris

I think it’s a good idea. Also not just for beginners.
There have been times I wish I knew someone who loaded a cal I was not set up for and crank out 250 rounds that would last me years for that one cal/rifle ect. A few examples
32sw, 6.5 carcano, 32-40 and a few others that are notshot often
If there was a place that had at least powder and primers to finish off some bullets and brass i have , that would be great.

After all I did something similar for myself. I went and bought a lee pro 1000 for 30 carbine. I loaded up the 2000ish cases and bullets and stashed the ammo away. i shoot about 200 carbine a year.

Another thing to think about is maybe brass prep?
Im getting busier and lazier in my age and to have some one prep my brass and anneal it for fair price would be good.
Now can these services be done and still turn enough revenue to make it worth some ones efforts?
All i csn say is good luck andi hope it works.

I already reload. This sounds interesting.

But...I will buy all the 20:1 alloy you can get, if you can get it at a cost close enough to Buffalo Arms (shipped cost).

Back to business .. my only concern would be how many people can you really get in there that will stay there? ... for a lot, it might be cool st first, but the drive might turn them off in the long run.
Others will learn and buy their own stuff.

My thoughts:

It is a great idea. It likely won't pay for itself. It would require a supply of beginners for starters and lending tools to people is always problematic.
Those issues might have creative solutions to make it pay but as a club or membership it might stand a better chance with the added social and instructional benefits.

Liability is a major element.

When I started reloading it would have been sweet to have access to such a facility but I started because 7.62x54R was in very short expensive supply in the 70's. I didn't shoot it enough to make it worth the investment so I ended up with a Lee Loader and another for .44mag. I wouldn't have spent enough to interest someone in providing me maker space.

It doesn't take long for beginners to advance and want their own equipment.

All i can picture is something like a candy store where you have all these bins of different items and you go down the line, scoop out and weigh what you want and then proceed to a press. Hard to say how many people would use a facility like that. Components being the main draw would be my guess. Everyone need components.

Greg

Back
Top Bottom