• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading M-160 (frangible) bullets for .308

I'm trying to get some inexpensive (relatively) trigger time on my new M14, so I've been cruising the reloading components. I came across some super cheap M-160 108.5 gr bullets (green/white tip) which I think may do the trick. The problem is, I can find very little information on reloading these bullets, no one seems to have much experience with them, and the only reloading data I can find uses bulk surplus powders I can't find.

Can anyone offer some insight on reloading/shooting these bullets? I'm looking for reloading data, accuracy expectations, cautionary tales - anything you've got.

I'm primarily looking for something I can shoot indoors over the winter, so accuracy is only needed to 25 yards, and maybe 100 yards every once in a while. Plus the idea of a lighter bullet/lower recoil is appealing for new and smaller shooters. And I'd imagine low velocity frangible bullets may be better for certain indoor ranges.

Thoughts?

I have not shot any of it, but you will need to generate enough port pressure to cycle the action if you're reloading. Personally I would pass because of the composition of the bullet is powdered lead and a binder. . I don't believe the original load did that. It only had 10.5Gr. of SR8074.

B

The TM 9-1300-200 Ammunition, General says this on p.3-12

3-13. Frangible Cartridge The caliber .30 frangible cartridge, designed for aerial target training purposes, is also used in rifles and machineguns for target shooting. Caliber .30 and 7.62MM frangible cartridges are used in tank machineguns, firing single shot, for training in tank gunnery. At its normal velocity, the bullet, which is composed of powdered lead and friable plastic, will completely disintegrate upon striking a 3/16-inch aluminum alloy plate at 100 yards from the muzzle of the gun. These cartridges are not to be used on any but well ventilated indoor ranges to preclude buildup of toxic bullet dust. Inhalation of bullet dust may be injurious to health.

Back
Top Bottom