• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading for savage axis help

I am reloading for a savage axis 223. Currently I use cfe223 powder at 23.5 grains with 69grain nosler pills and got less than .5 inch spread at 100 yards. I did do a ladder test and those shot the closest shots. I seated the bullet at the spect that hogden and my lee reloading manual said. Would it hurt to seat them a little lower or seat a little less? And what other powers should I try. I tried imr4895 and and loaded it from data from hodgen and my les manual but the spreads we a little over 1 inch spreads. Would varget be a good one to try, I've seen that powder all over the place? Any help would be great. I want to get out to about 4-600 yards

I hear Varget works well for the heavier bullets but I've never tried it. I had good luck with Reloader 15 and TAC with 68 gr and 75 gr Hornady bullets. I'm only shooting 120 yards though...

If you found a load that shoots better than 1/2 MOA, you should stick with it.

Can you not find the components you used?

If your banging sub moa groups with a $250 base axis and reloads you would do well to stick with that combo until your shooting so many .5 moa groups consistently your bored and are looking to go to .4 moa next.
I used 69s at 600 yards 2 times then switched to 77s
much happier. My requirements are minute of black scoring ring for that set up.
What you can do
I will add That i was a bit against the Optimum Charge Weight system until i finally was shooting well and had better guns and loading understanding to take advantage of it.
The 223 is a forgiving round. Theres not to many loads that dont shoot well in my experience with the use of good bullets. Only when flirting with the extreme weight and barrel twist combos does the 223 seem to really get wonky
Like shooting 52 grain nosler through my 1/7 match barrel. Just did not group at all. Or trying to get 62 grain M855 pulls to group under 3moa consistently!

Back
Top Bottom