• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading Equipment Question

mcimma

NES Member
I was considering getting into reloading...Hobby as well as practical. I am a LEO and shoot quite often. Unfortunately, our ammo budget is dwindling and I can only get so much from work..If i get into reloading, it will be primarily for 45 acp. My question is:

What do I need for equipment?? Not looking for a universal all in one, just what I need to get started and learning. Brass is free for me so thats not an issue but what about presses, cleaners, etc...I wont be doing high volume or different calibers for some time...

If you're near Groton, you can come over to my place and I'll show you all the stuff, and both single-stage and progressive setups.

I was considering getting into reloading...Hobby as well as practical. I am a LEO and shoot quite often. Unfortunately, our ammo budget is dwindling and I can only get so much from work..If i get into reloading, it will be primarily for 45 acp. My question is:

What do I need for equipment?? Not looking for a universal all in one, just what I need to get started and learning. Brass is free for me so thats not an issue but what about presses, cleaners, etc...I wont be doing high volume or different calibers for some time...

Would recommend that you start with some good reading material on the subject.... Good discussion here:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84392

Also great videos here:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29093

I'm in metro west and would make the same offer as Eddie Coyle if it is convenient.

In the interest of full disclosure I'm relatively new at reloading, and EC is an old hand. But I'm turning out both pistol and rifle ammo these days.

Thanks for the invite guys, I live just south of Boston so that would be quite a drive for me...I will definitely read the links provided...

My usual plug:

If you really want to get the full day class on how to reload, contact weaponcrafttraining, below, or at the link in my sig.

http://www.weaponcrafttraining.com/wc_classes_detail.aspx?id=20

We offer reloading training class, and we've had quite a few NES guys come up for the class. Several from the Boston area. It's well worth the trip. We'll save you lots of $$$ by helping you avoid the costly mistakes, and where to get parts cheap, and materials cheap, etc.

You'll save more than the meager cost of the class in no time, and be comfortable on day one with reloading. We cover both pistol and rifle reloading in the class. You will load rounds on our equipment, and take home whatever you don't test fire here. The fee covers all materials. Just bring a lunch, and the pistol and rifle that you want to reload for. We supply everything else.

You get a copy of my book on the subject of reloading, as well as copy of the NRA Guide to reloading, both a valuable resource!

We have two dates coming up in January.
http://www.weaponcrafttraining.com/wc_schedule.aspx

Download the app, send the money in, and we'll fix you right up.
http://www.weaponcrafttraining.com/wc_application.aspx

As you are "South of Boston," you are probably near me.

I have a single-stage press and two progressive presses. If you are shooting pistol - and a lot of it - you will want a progressive. If you want to start on a single-stage, that's fine. There is always a use for one.

I use Dillon 550's; EC is a proponent of the Hornady Lock-N-Load, another excellent progressive.

If you want to see .40 or .45 loaded (maybe some .223), I may be able to help you.

I would also seriously consider a Dillon Square deal. They come set up for one caliber and are great presses for a reasonable amount of money. Dillon is also the greatest company I have dealt with - ask around. If you are thinking you might branch out to other calibers, then a 550 would be another great choice.

if you can take one of the guys up on the demo, it would be a huge help for you to see their equipment in action. I here Duke's class is top notch and you would leave with some loaded ammo.

If on a limited budget, try Ebay. I got all my equipment I needed to start reloading there at reasonable prices.

if you can take one of the guys up on the demo, it would be a huge help for you to see their equipment in action. I here Duke's class is top notch and you would leave with some loaded ammo.

I started with Duke's class and agree it is well worth the investment..... Can't beat a heavy dose of "hands on" experience when you are just getting started...[wink]

Also am south of Boston, but closer to Plymouth. Have two Dillon 550s set up and would also demo them for you if you would like. I have one usually set up with pistol calibers and one in rifle. Right now my pistol happens to be set up in .45 ACP. PM me if you want to set up a time.

On the cape. Same offer as others. I have 2 550's and a Square deal. Reload for 38/357,380,9,40,44mag 45 acp 223.

If your law enforcement, dont you have a access to their ammo. I remember a some years ago going shooting and there was a cop at the range and he had bags of free ammo. but thats was like almost 10 years ago, maybe its changed. I dont remember what his name or where he was from.

Lee Press

I got this kit for Christmas for my father-in-law it's excellent has most of what you need minus dies/trimming kits to at least get you started. I am very pleased with all the parts I have used so far.

P.S. I have no affiliation with Midway, just using it to show the kit.

Unfortunately this economy is cutting into our ammo budget, I can only get so much to shoot with. The problem is that I shoot more than I can get.

QUOTE=SteveCase;1246567]If your law enforcement, dont you have a access to their ammo. I remember a some years ago going shooting and there was a cop at the range and he had bags of free ammo. but thats was like almost 10 years ago, maybe its changed. I dont remember what his name or where he was from.[/QUOTE]

I have read the ABC's of Reloading book and I think I'm going to go with a non-progressive turret press. The two i was considering are the Lee Deluxe Turret Press Reloading Kit and the Lee Classic Turret Press Reloading Kit..

Does anyone have any experience (pros/cons) with either of these kits???

I started on an Lee Classic Turret and still use it for some rounds. It works great. The little square plastic ratchets used to advance the turret do wear out after about 1000 reloads. Buy some spares from Lee. They are cheap ~50 cents each.

Back
Top Bottom