• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

reloading dies

Does anyone know who makes the seating die on this 1050?
If you have one similar, do you like it?
And is it practical?

Evan-

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a competition seating die. Judging by the size of the adjustment head, it's an RCBS or Forster. Redding makes one too, but with a smaller head. I prefer the Redding, and yes - they are worth the extra money (at least for bottleneck rifle calibers).

I use a Forster Benchrest die on my progressive to load mag-length short-line ammo. I like that die because it's just as precise as their micrometer one, but without the micrometer to get in the way. It's also a bit cheaper. If you're just going to adjust it once and leave it, that's the way to go IMO.

202919.jpg

For my 600 yard ammo I use the RCBS Gold Medal seating die. I like that one because it has a "window" that you load the bullet through that keeps everything lined up perfectly when you seat it. It also has the micrometer adjustment so I can make small and repeatable adjustments to the seating depth as needed.

763205.jpg

That's a competition seating die. Judging by the size of the adjustment head, it's an RCBS or Forster. Redding makes one too, but with a smaller head. I prefer the Redding, and yes - they are worth the extra money (at least for bottleneck rifle calibers).

I did a lot of research on the competition seating dies, and ended up buying Forster for all my competition calibers. I don't have a first hand experience with Redding comp. dies, but a lot of people are saying the seating stem (not sure if correct term, the part that pushes on the top of the bullet) in Redding dies is aluminum, and deforms with time .

Midway sells the Redding comp die for 100 bucks about, but rcbs seems to have a few different types. Midway seems simpler.

Is there a carbide option on these dies... I noticed some warnings on pressured loads.

Last edited:
Midway sells the Redding comp die for 100 bucks about, but rcbs seems to have a few different types. Midway seems simpler.

Is there a carbide option on these dies... I noticed some warnings on pressured loads.

You can get carbide sizing dies for .223 but they're expensive. I just use the standard (non-carbide) Forster full-length sizing die.

Back
Top Bottom