• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading data....

OK, I think I have a little problem.

Up until now, the only 45ACP I have only been reloading is the 200grn LSWC. I have a recipe that works great with those. Just 30 minutes ago, I finished an hour of reloading and finished up 264 rounds. That just happened to be the rest of my 200grn LSWC bullets. I have 1000 230grn RNL bullets sitting there, waiting to be loaded that I ordered about a month ago. I checked in my Lyman manual and they don't list that bullet. The closest they have is a 225grn RNL bullet. So I made my way to IMR's page to check loading data for the 230grn RNL bullet. One of the recipes they have is as follows.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

230 GR. LRN
DIA: .452" COL: 1.200"
Trail Boss 4.5 761 15,100 CUP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am using 700X powder so that recipe obviously won't work.

They also have the following recipe listed.

230 GR. REM LRN
DIA: .451" COL: 1.270"
HiSkor 700-X 4.7 775 17,700 CUP
PB 5.5 810 17,900 CUP
SR 7625 6.2 825 17,700 CUP
HiSkor 800-X 7.2 860 18,000 CUP
SR 4756 7.5 960 17,800 CUP

OK great, here is a recipe that lists the 700X powder. However they way they listed the bullet "230 GR. REM LRN" What does the "REM" stand for? Also the bullets I received have written on the front that the DIA is .452

Now what?

Adam

Up until now, the only 45ACP I have only been reloading is the 200grn LSWC. I have a recipe that works great with those. Just 30 minutes ago, I finished an hour of reloading and finished up 264 rounds. That just happened to be the rest of my 200grn LSWC bullets. I have 1000 230grn RNL bullets sitting there, waiting to be loaded that I ordered about a month ago. I checked in my Lyman manual and they don't list that bullet. The closest they have is a 225grn RNL bullet. So I made my way to IMR's page to check loading data for the 230grn RNL bullet. One of the recipes they have is as follows.

230 GR. LRN

230 GR. REM LRN
PB 5.5 810 17,900 CUP

OK great, here is a recipe that lists the 700X powder. However they way they listed the bullet "230 GR. REM LRN" What does the "REM" stand for? Also the bullets I received have written on the front that the DIA is .452

Now what?

Adam

230 GR. LRN

230 GR. REM LRN
PB 5.5 810 17,900 CUP

Now what?

Adam

REM is, not surprisingly, REMINGTON.

.452 is the correct diameter for a LEAD .45 ACP bullet; .451 is the diamter for a jacketed round. A .45 Long Colt bullet is .454 diameter.

It is astoundingly odd that a reloading manual would not have data for a .45 ACP cartridge using a 230 grain bullet, as that is the military "ball" load.

.452 is the correct diameter for a LEAD .45 ACP bullet; .451 is the diamter for a jacketed round. A .45 Long Colt bullet is .454 diameter.

It is astoundingly odd that a reloading manual would not have data for a .45 ACP cartridge using a 230 grain bullet, as that is the military "ball" load.

I agree... But I was even more astounded that the IMR list was so short with 45ACP load data...

So, does the REM matter, or does it mean that the data is only for Remington 230grn RNL bullets.

Adam

I agree... But I was even more astounded that the IMR list was so short with 45ACP load data...

So, does the REM matter, or does it mean that the data is only for Remington 230grn RNL bullets.

Adam

Adam

I have the 48th...
The only mention of the 230grn is on page 356 and it is for 230grn TMJ not alloy.

Adam

I have the 48th...
The only mention of the 230grn is on page 356 and it is for 230grn TMJ not alloy.

Adam

I have the 48th...

Adam

Bullet weight is the determining factor in your powder charge. Bullet shape or manufacturer makes no real difference in pressure. It may in accuracy. So a HP or FMJ of the same weight regardless who makes it can use the same powder charge. Hope that helps.

Bullet weight is the determining factor in your powder charge. Bullet shape or manufacturer makes no real difference in pressure. It may in accuracy. So a HP or FMJ of the same weight regardless who makes it can use the same powder charge. Hope that helps.

Jarhead,
The only thing that has me wondering about if that statement is true or not, is that there is data for the 200grn JHP in the book and the max grn load for 700x powder is rated at 4.9grn where the 200grn LSWC the max charge for that same powder is 5.5. Also there is a 225grn RNL listed at 5.0 max where the 230grn TMJ has a max charge listed as 4.8.

So I guess that also doesn't follow along with GTO's recommendation, because the Lyman manual seems to add more powder to lead.

Still confused...

Adam

Jarhead,
The only thing that has me wondering about if that statement is true or not, is that there is data for the 200grn JHP in the book and the max grn load for 700x powder is rated at 4.9grn where the 200grn LSWC the max charge for that same powder is 5.5. Also there is a 225grn RNL listed at 5.0 max where the 230grn TMJ has a max charge listed as 4.8.

So I guess that also doesn't follow along with GTO's recommendation, because the Lyman manual seems to add more powder to lead.

Still confused...

Adam

Jarhead,

Still confused...

Adam

Adam_MA said:

Are the velocities given the same? To get the same velocity, you should not need as much powder with a lead bullet of the same weight. You can only know what you are getting for velocities with a chrono, the books are only good for a starting point.

Adam_MA said:

Are the velocities given the same? To get the same velocity, you should not need as much powder with a lead bullet of the same weight. You can only know what you are getting for velocities with a chrono, the books are only good for a starting point.

Adam_MA said:

At least when one is approaching the limit, bullet weight is not the only factor that correlates charge to pressure. Bullet material hardness and length of bearing surface also matter. Likewise, seating depth, which might be affected by different shapes of two bullets of the same weight, has an effect.

At least when one is approaching the limit, bullet weight is not the only factor that correlates charge to pressure. Bullet material hardness and length of bearing surface also matter. Likewise, seating depth, which might be affected by different shapes of two bullets of the same weight, has an effect.

Back
Top Bottom