• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading Components

So.........just like when I bought my SR22 and then couldn't find any ammo it seems as though I am having the same problem finding reloading components now that I have decided to reload. I eventually built my supply of 22LR up and I have no doubt that I will do the same in regards to reloading components, but for now as a newbie in reloading I am a fish out of water. So I am trying to weight the benefits of ordering on line as opposed to trying to find some locally. Let's take primers for example : 3000 CCI small pistol primers will cost me $150 to have it shipped. No time wasted or gas spent trying to find some locally, instead just wait for the package. I dont yet know prices so is this a good price?

Thanks.......................

I have recently seen primers at $30 /1000 Federal small and large pistol.... So I would say hold off on mail ordering, you can always call around instead of drive around.

Depending on your order? What are you getting for 150$ shipped?
Is there a limit on what your vendor will ship.
When I get primers I find other reloaders local to me that need them also.
The vendors I deal with ship up to 50k primers in one box shipping/hazmat is then about. 80 cents per 1000ct box.
Problem is inventory.....not enough of everything in stock to place a order.....

Depending on your order? What are you getting for 150$ shipped?
Is there a limit on what your vendor will ship.
When I get primers I find other reloaders local to me that need them also.
The vendors I deal with ship up to 50k primers in one box shipping/hazmat is then about. 80 cents per 1000ct box.
Problem is inventory.....not enough of everything in stock to place a order.....

It was only 3000 primers for the $150. I now know that is just too pricey.

yes thats a bit high. mail order has to be in large bulk....basically vendors will ship up to 70lb or so under one hazmat fee of 25$ and shipping. Some vendors will mix powder and primers up to 70lbs or so. the 70lbs includes package material.
the vendors i have delt with
will do 6/8lb jugs in one box
50k primers one box
or mix and match up to XXlbs
My last order was 25$hazmat and 32$ shipping for 6/8lb jugs that was 2012!!!! there has not been enough in stock in any one place to place a order since!

I missed that complete statement in your OP, 3000 CCI small pistol 150 shipped.....doh
Yes you really need to buy more than that to have the shipping/hazmat pan out

Last edited:
Mail ordering primers sucks unless you're laying in sleeves (5000 ea) at a time. just hit all the usual places and get whatever you can get.

-Mike

Mail ordering primers sucks unless you're laying in sleeves (5000 ea) at a time. just hit all the usual places and get whatever you can get.

-Mike

I hear you guys.............I am just too anxious to get started. I just feel like I'm all dressed up with no where to go! I have a dedicated room down in the basement just for "gun stuff", built some benches, shelves. Set up my press, dies waiting to be used, tumbler tumbling away shinning up brass...........................and cant load a single round! :-(

You needs to buy in bulk to make it cost effective to buy powder or primers online. If you can't afford to do so on your own, there are often group buys (either here or at your local gun club or competition league) that you can get in on.

Otherwise, I'd recommend calling around rather than driving around until you find the right components at the right price. Gun shows usually have decent selection, although prices can be hit or miss.

What I found when I started a few months ago is that mail order only works in bulk. Most places online have primers-a-plenty in stock, so yo watch something like gunbot.net for powder that you need in quantity, then order 8 lbs, and as many primers as you can afford, or they will put in the box. That way, you spread the hazmat fee over a lot of components, and it's not so bad. I have made 3-4 orders like this, and coupled with what I've been able to find locally, got a pretty good stash going. Then the key is not to wait until you're low to buy more, but stop into stores whenever you have a chance, and get a little more of this, and a little more of that to keep up with, or outpace your reloading.

Good luck!

The "Reloading Equipment For Sale" thread here on NES has some good bargains as well. Like the others have been saying, you have to keep your eyes on all of the usual places ...

One thing I started doing also and it just helps have cash handy, I sell myself my reloads. Cost plus 10%......im thinking of jumping to 20% to cover the increase in costs...

As for vendors, I use several and we are all tapping the same resources.
Right now if I want to fill my needs I need to go to 4 vendors to fill my order.
That would be 100$ in hazmat and about 80$+ in shipping cost!

for that kind of money if I had the time I would take a day trip to RI or NH which seem to be the best stocked shops for reloading.....
There is a new shop opening very soon in north reading. Maybe they will be the shop to go to in mass.

Back
Top Bottom