Reloading classes in MA and NH- recommendations/reviews/etc

mmsteady

NES Member
Hello, I'm looking to get into reloading and was wondering if people had suggestions/reviews for reloading classes. EddieCoyle's classes look great, but he's sold out for now, and it looks like I'm not the only one who may be looking for classes. So far I've only found one other MA class offered; has anyone taken the class at Firearms Safety Academy in Medford, MA?

Also:
How would you rate the curriculum from the NRA basic reloading course? Do instructors need to add alot of info to properly prepare students, or do you think the base material in the handbook is inclusive enough?
What are some things you'd expect in a good reloading class?
What have people learned about chronic hazards in reloading- ie wearing dust masks/how to properly keep a reloading space clean? I see people doing reloading in apartments, but I am wondering how to do that safely and not contaminate the living space.

Cheers

If you can cook or brew beer without smoking or injury, you can likely reload safely. For multi-family dwellings with a porch, store everything inside and load outside on the porch. Classes? - We don't need to steenkin' classes !

If the classes are booked, there are millions of videos online and reading and asking questions here on nes.

Do you have everything to reload?

1. Hello, I'm looking to get into reloading and was wondering if people had suggestions/reviews for reloading classes. EddieCoyle's classes look great, but he's sold out for now, and it looks like I'm not the only one who may be looking for classes. So far I've only found one other MA class offered; has anyone taken the class at Firearms Safety Academy in Medford, MA?

Also:
2. How would you rate the curriculum from the NRA basic reloading course? Do instructors need to add alot of info to properly prepare students, or do you think the base material in the handbook is inclusive enough?
3. What are some things you'd expect in a good reloading class?
4. What have people learned about chronic hazards in reloading- ie wearing dust masks/how to properly keep a reloading space clean? I see people doing reloading in apartments, but I am wondering how to do that safely and not contaminate the living space.

Cheers

So I'm going to add some numbers to that, easier to keep track of-

1- Never taken E.C.'s class, but I see it advertised quite a bit and its fills up every time, so he must be doing something right.
I believe his website says something like "8 (or 9) hours of intense reloading stuff"
Obviously not worded exactly like that, but the Intense description was in there, and I equate that to Basic Training, and I have zero interest in getting screamed at for 8 or 9 hours straight because I'm either left handed or some redneck drill sgt can't understand my mass accent. Anyways.........

2. Never taken that either. I would like to think theres a lot of coverage on the basics, because everything stems from the basics. Case prep and inspection,press types, headspacing, , how to use calipers and take measurements, leade, how to use a scale or scales, powder selection, how to interpret the info in different manuals, just everything basic. Not that its a substitute for actual hands on stuff, but there are quite a few valid reloading vids on you-tube. Good reference stuff too.

3. Everything mentioned above, but with a lot of hands on.

4. Outside of an errant explosion, its all one step at a time right at the start anyways.
People do it, but I wouldn't start on a 750 or a Mk7.
Dust masks for case prep if your worried about that, its the dirtiest part of the whole thing, cleaning the cases. Obviously not a good idea to reload by candlelight or next to an open wood stove.
Still got both eyes and all 8 of my fingers, so I got that goin for me.
Its all about paying attention to what you do, like....................,ooooooooooooo, ................the back-to-back squibs I had several weeks ago in the last stage of an outlaw plate shoot.
Yea, that was awesome.

A long, long, time ago, I took an intro reloading class being held at Braintree Rifle/Pistol by and old timer named Doc. I'm sure there are folks on this board who know who I'm talking about....pretty sure one of the buildings is dedicated to him. I can still hear his voice "gentlemen, if you only remember one word from the class today...that word should be *pressure*".

He gave one of his talks while sitting on a 5 gallon bucket covering a hotplate that he put a handful of .22's on before beginning the talk....good times.

Anyway, the point of this is that without that class I would simply not have had the confidence to begin reloading. Doc is the reason I am a reloader. It completely removed the mystery from the process and I could see it was something that was do-able...even by a stupid kid like me.

If you have the ability to tap into experienced reloaders who are willing to teach a class and get you started....do it !!!!

If you can cook or brew beer without smoking or injury, you can likely reload safely. For multi-family dwellings with a porch, store everything inside and load outside on the porch. Classes? - We don't need to steenkin' classes !
1. I can't brew beer (never tried) and can reload.
2. Reload outside? Why? ... that's going to be fun when the wind blows his powder around.

OP, the only health hazards are:

1. The dust from dry tumbling. That's why I love wet tumbling. Some people will argue wet tumbling s*cks because of drying time. It is not a big deal.

2. Touching lead bullets and then touching your eyes, mouth or eating. Wash your hands.

If you wet tumble and wash your hands, you will be fine. ***EDIT TO ADD*** you will also be fine if you dry tumble, just be careful with the dust.

How I learned to reload:

I asked a NES member to show me. We spent an hour or so talking and he let me reload a few rounds. That was with black powder which is very different from smokeless.

A few months later I spent a while watching videos and reading about smokeless reloading and just did it. Never took a class. I was very careful, I went slow.

Last edited:
1. I can't brew beer (never tried) and can reload.
2. Reload outside? Why? ... that's going to be fun when the wind blows his powder around.

OP, the only health hazards are:

1. The dust from dry tumbling. That's why I love wet tumbling. Some people will argue wet tumbling s*cks because of drying time. It is not a big deal.

2. Touching lead bullets and then touching your eyes, mouth or eating. Wash your hands.

If you wet tumble and wash your hands, you will be fine.

How I learned to reload:

I asked a NES member to show me. We spent an hour or so talking and he let me reload a few rounds. That was with black powder which is very different from smokeless.

A few months later I spent a while watching videos and reading about smokeless reloading and just did it. Never took a class. I was very careful, I went slow.
1. Many brew beer, cook and load. Why is it relevant you have never tried to brew beer? [slap]

2. Of course no one should attempt to reload outdoors on beautiful & calm days - one must await the wind, rain, sleet and snow.

doofy.png

I guess you never been outside on a nice day and have a sudden wind gust, even a few seconds.

And having to carry the reloading supplies, small bench and press can be a pain. Unless you want to use one of those hand held.

I guess you never been outside on a nice day and have a sudden wind gust, even a few seconds.

And having to carry the reloading supplies, small bench and press can be a pain. Unless you want to use one of those hand held.

Indeed - Awesome when someone chooses to share such insightful and relevant experience. Staying in mom's basement is safest, and it's too much exercise to carry anything. 👍
giphy2.gif

Last edited:
Reloading is both art and science
Read for the science - get one or two reloading manuals and read them, twice.
For the art part - if you are skilled with your hands and can use a micrometer then you will be fine. Otherwise hook up with another reloader to help with learning equipment setup and measurement.

i would be more concerned with the air quality in the apparent building than whats generated while reloading.
Tumbling your brass is the only real dusty mess just do that outside. Also all this tumbling be it dry or wet is just for pretty brass. You can simply wash your brass with a little warm soapy water and let dry . You goal is to remove dirt/sand
When in doubt wear a mask. You might as well get a P100 lead respirator and wear it shooting also.

Brass tumbling, smelting , casting and even bullet coating , sure that can be done outside. But sizing, priming , powder charging and seating bullets. I am going to do that inside.

I live in a condo, and my reloading station is clamped to the dining room table. Any brass I pick up at the range gets put in an old juice container and washed in dish soap and water before it hits the press to decap. After that it gets wet tumbled.

I wear nitrile gloves whenever I'm doing anything reloading wise, just because I don't want to have to scrub my hands much afterwards. There is soap and wipes you can buy, one such brand being D Lead. I have both mainly for when I'm at the outdoor range, as well as the fact that I'm involved with lead cleanup at the indoor range of the club I belong to. Either way, I think if you use common sense and clean the area you're reloading in if it's living space on a regular basis, you should be fine.

I live in a condo, and my reloading station is clamped to the dining room table. Any brass I pick up at the range gets put in an old juice container and washed in dish soap and water before it hits the press to decap. After that it gets wet tumbled.

I wear nitrile gloves whenever I'm doing anything reloading wise, just because I don't want to have to scrub my hands much afterwards. There is soap and wipes you can buy, one such brand being D Lead. I have both mainly for when I'm at the outdoor range, as well as the fact that I'm involved with lead cleanup at the indoor range of the club I belong to. Either way, I think if you use common sense and clean the area you're reloading in if it's living space on a regular basis, you should be fine.
I piece of lead shot turns up here and there after my Mec shot bottle split and sent shot all my kitchen floor.
i had a shotgun press bolted to a 18" piece of plywood C clamped to the table. Not long after I finally set up a small reloading space in my small basement

D lead is great. I use the soap at home and have the wipes in my range bag.

D lead is great. I use the soap at home and have the wipes in my range bag.
Same here. I bought some of their laundry detergent as well. You can use it for that and deconning respirators, equipment, etc. I got that mainly due to the fact that I'm involved in lead cleanup, otherwise the wipes and soap are good enough.

Back
Top Bottom