Reloading bench size

I built a bench for my shotgun presses 4 years ago. Originally I thought I’d add a press for center fire cartridges but now I like how I set up my first bench so I’m going to build a second for my rock chucker. Curious, what height is your bench for operation while standing?

I built a bench for my shotgun presses 4 years ago. Originally I thought I’d add a press for center fire cartridges but now I like how I set up my first bench so I’m going to build a second for my rock chucker. Curious, what height is your bench for operation while standing?
bench height is a great question.
ETA, I am in the planning stages for the bench would standard kitchen counter height be right?

Last edited:
I built this one a while ago as a project as it's a fairly common question for people with small spaces. It can be expanded upon in unlimited ways depending on your wants. It just sits in my basement. The images have a photo bucket water mark but the links still work.

Somnio

My primary is 24"x30". The frame is 2x4 and 2x12 with 2 layers of 3/4 plywood for the top. I currently have 3 presses mounted to it. A Lee 4 hole turret for 223/308, a Dillon 9mm SDB and a RCBS rockchucker. I do 95% of loading on this bench in living room while sitting on couch watching movies or YouTube

Anyone have suggestions a good (small) dedicated bench to use? I built a new large workbench last autumn that I've mounted my single stage press and vise on, but I'm hopefully picking up a Dillon 550C in the next couple of weeks and wanted to have it "separate" on its own. I see Lee makes a stand (would have to be modified) and Frankford Arsenal makes a small table for $175 or so.

I'm just looking for something simple to mount the press to, so I don't really need any other bells and whistles since I have my "real" bench for that. I do see Harbor Freight has a $38 "tool stand" but I don't know if would be sufficient enough, maybe with some cinderblocks. It would need some type of wood topper added anyway. It looks like Dillon only sells a stand you mount to a bench that raises the press rather than an entire standalone stand.

Anyone have suggestions a good (small) dedicated bench to use? I built a new large workbench last autumn that I've mounted my single stage press and vise on, but I'm hopefully picking up a Dillon 550C in the next couple of weeks and wanted to have it "separate" on its own. I see Lee makes a stand (would have to be modified) and Frankford Arsenal makes a small table for $175 or so.

I'm just looking for something simple to mount the press to, so I don't really need any other bells and whistles since I have my "real" bench for that. I do see Harbor Freight has a $38 "tool stand" but I don't know if would be sufficient enough, maybe with some cinderblocks. It would need some type of wood topper added anyway. It looks like Dillon only sells a stand you mount to a bench that raises the press rather than an entire standalone stand.
I built a version of this to 1/4 -1/3 The length

RIP QueenBee
I just happen to come across this
Missed it I guess last few times on this thread.
Its really to bad,
Went back and forth with Bee about the mauser sniper she had done and I was debating do the same. Also discussed small reloading set up . I do hope she was able to shoot some good groups with the mauser before her passing.
Anyone know what happened?

I cannot make suggestions on this subject. I have 2 reloading tables made from 7 foot x 32 inch commercial interior doors and a third bench made from on old steel kitchen cabinet setup from the fifties that is about 6 feet long. It still isn't enough! Don't get me into a discussion about shelving, drawers, and cabinets.

I for the life of me can't see how people reload sitting. Even the large bench I used to use that was set up to be used with a stool and belly to the edge I could not reload sitting. I had to do a weird body shift when using the handle
I have a couple shop stools that I use for all my press work. They have backs and they swivel. There is no way I can reload standing up. I would have to raise my benches up too high...high enough that my presses would hit the low ceiling in my basement.

I don't use it for reloading but I stumbled upon the attached website when looking for a work bench for my garage. I made mine 6" narrower and added wheels and absolutely love it - as solid as a rock and moveable. Even mounted a big vise on one end and its still stable as a rock. You could modify the width, length and height as needed for your space. Shelf underneath for supplies, etc.

Back
Top Bottom