Reloading bench size

I'm currently using one of the wood benches from HF for my setup. Something close to 5' wide with four drawers (for item storage). I'm using most of the top surface for keeping reloading related items, plus a wire shelving unit next to it for more. In the past I used a Workmate 'bench' for a press. I needed to put a solid top on it though (2' square of 3/4" plywood). It worked "OK" but not great. My current setup works a lot better.

Current configuration, in one of the corners in the basement:PXL_20220111_003829040.jpg

The bigger and heavier, the better but go with what you can get to fit.
I agree that heavy is the important part...or the bench moves around while working the handle and is annoying as hell. Mine is solid oak lol. An old teachers desk. I used c clamps to hold the press in place so I didn't drill into the top. 20211231_125004.jpg

I have 2 benches in the unfinished side of the basement. 1 for reloading, 46"x31", and one for gun cleaning, 45"x23". The basement is 60 degrees in winter and 74 in summer, with humidifier. Regarding the reloading bench, it is plenty big enough for what I do. It is tucked between my shelves of canned goods and the boiler. I think you may be surprised with what you can do with a small area. Good luck
20220114_133756.jpg20220114_125926.jpg20220114_133003.jpg

The actual bench the press is on is 34”x34” but there is another 6’x30”‘ bench to my right with a 2 drawer file cabinet under it . It’s in 1/2 of a multi use work area.And the bottom 1/2 of a roolaway to my left , with a job box next to that I store the brass and odd stuff in.

Attachments

• 5C314D07-A5D3-4CA4-A3CF-A851B972865D.jpeg
    5C314D07-A5D3-4CA4-A3CF-A851B972865D.jpeg
    550.5 KB · Views: 20
My bench at my old apartment was 30” wide and 24” deep. I had a single stage press, a Dillon 550 and a spot in the middle where I could mount a star bullet sizer when I needed it.
Storage below and above on shelves. It was really more than enough for what o was doing.

Now I have 16’ of benches and I’m trying not to build another bench. We tend to be hoarders.

So my space is limited, as in very limited, how small is the smallest you would go in size? I can possibly make room in the basement but it is unfinished and cold in winter and stuffy in the summer.
I have a 32" bench in between the oil tank and hot water heater, you don't need a lot of space
Current space and bench was a major upgrade

My old apartment setup was pretty handy. Just kind of winged the design with mobility in mind. I could set it up on my desk, dining table, or coffee table. And then move it to a closet or basement shelf when not in use.

Worked pretty well, but I’d probably add a lip to the back or a full backing to stop accidental powder spills.

FF124056-E26B-4E27-BAAD-41B3755B4A52.jpeg

02343732-F684-47A5-997E-DD1C38C05210.jpeg

When I think of limited space, I thought of this:

Hopefully that goes right to post 10.

When I think of limited space, I thought of this:

Hopefully that goes right to post 10.
RIP QueenBee

when i started reloading, my press was bolted to one of the stairs going down to the basement. powder dump was positioned on the lower step to the right, the upper step on the left held my "stuff"...dies, primers, etc. i stood on the basement floor, the press was chest height. if you want to do it badly enough, you'll make do with what you have at the time.

So my space is limited, as in very limited, how small is the smallest you would go in size? I can possibly make room in the basement but it is unfinished and cold in winter and stuffy in the summer.

space is no issue. ergonomics are the key to it all. all of the above pics have no knee room under the bench. you cannot be seated close enough and will always be bending over/forward.

bench size is all about the workspace you need to do what you do. the above pics are perfect examples of how much space your stuff will take, and a few good examples of the space needed to accommodate you doing the reloading.

the most important factor though is stability. the bench NEEDS to be anchored in such a way that any push, pull, pound, or faceplant does not move the bench.

My reloading table is 32"x24" and I can get to three sides of it. Sitting on top is a Mk7 Evo, a Dillon 750 and typically a spare head for the Evo. Granted I have lots of other storage space but my actual reloading bench is quite small. I like this set up as I have to keep it tidy and everything I need is in one place.

Attachments

• 64B2E302-04AE-4681-9493-E7AD75DC6E64.jpeg
    64B2E302-04AE-4681-9493-E7AD75DC6E64.jpeg
    665.6 KB · Views: 28
Damn! RIP Queen Bee, aka Madison Bee

I never got to meet her, but we did talk to each other on the phone, likely a legal question she had, some years ago. What a shame, much, much too young!

I did get a little watery when I saw that, she was a good kid. Miss our conversations.
my gosh, i'm stunned, first i've heard about this. the woman tossed out some seriously good posts. rip QB.

space is no issue. ergonomics are the key to it all. all of the above pics have no knee room under the bench. you cannot be seated close enough and will always be bending over/forward.

bench size is all about the workspace you need to do what you do. the above pics are perfect examples of how much space your stuff will take, and a few good examples of the space needed to accommodate you doing the reloading.

the most important factor though is stability. the bench NEEDS to be anchored in such a way that any push, pull, pound, or faceplant does not move the bench.
I for the life of me can't see how people reload sitting. Even the large bench I used to use that was set up to be used with a stool and belly to the edge I could not reload sitting. I had to do a weird body shift when using the handle

I for the life of me can't see how people reload sitting. Even the large bench I used to use that was set up to be used with a stool and belly to the edge I could not reload sitting. I had to do a weird body shift when using the handle
probably depends upon the handle type and the press position. mine is setup perfectly to work sitting, i took some time before i permanently bolted it all down.
if press would be on the full height mount - it would not work, so the only part of mount used was the top steel plate.

probably depends upon the handle type and the press position. mine is setup perfectly to work sitting, i took some time before i permanently bolted it all down.
if press would be on the full height mount - it would not work, so the only part of mount used was the top steel plate.
I can no longer sit for any time with out hips hurting from arthritis , unless I'm on the coach.

Same. Ive tried a couple of different stools at different heights and always found myself standing. I tried to do the mini set up first at the coffee table in the living room and then clamped to the kitchen table as an attempt to get out of my cold cellar but neither worked sitting and were too low to stand.

I made my square reloading bench so that I could easily carry it through a standard door opening. It has very sturdy 2x4 construction with a very thick, 2-layer plywood top. I stack bins of bullets along the back, which is against the wall, to keep it stable. It is stable and creak-free after several years of heavy use, but ... I have never actually moved it. Its position is further entrenched because I have installed a couple of Kinetic Arts die racks on the wall next to it. My "reloading room" is at least larger than Harry Potter's accommodations at the Dursley's, but not by a lot.

I tried sitting last week, no good. I agree with that body shift movement.

Same.

I have a parts counter stool that was given to me in my reloading room. All I ever do is move it out of my way no matter where it is.

Back
Top Bottom