Reloading area question?

So, I'm getting a new house and plan on setting up a reloading room. The problem is that my 3 choices are

1) in the garage, large work bench but has a separate door outside as well as the house access. Likely the wife will be parking her car in there everyday, but it already has a large safe in it that will be the main repository of firearms.
2) in main access room connecting the garage and the main house, lots of pass through travel but plenty of area (formerly used as a bedroom)
Or 3) room that has a ground level front of house door and a bunch of ground level windows....

Just trying to decided between convince, security, praticality, and man cave ish wants... any thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Your safe is already in the garage.... any way to put a small "wall" to section off a reloading area to keep from daily view.
I hope your safe is bolted well to the ground.
You don't need a large space to reload. I do all my loading in a space about arms length in any direction on a 32" bench.

Also consider in your garage with daily open and closing of the door you will have a less stable environment.
Many reloading tools don't do well with monster and condensation.

The idea of walling off a section of the garage has come up... Just not sure where yet (not much point in walling of a section if its blindingly obvious and is anything but 100% secure).
The safe is large enough that it can't be casually moved though i am debating using a comalong to move in within the garage... Unless I make friends with the guy down the a street with the farm tractor....
The current 'plan' is for guns/ammo/powder/primers to be locked in safe or gun cabinet, reloading press/dies/scales/etc would be treated the same as tools (put in drawers or mounted on bench)...

Last edited:
The idea of walling off a section of the garage has come up... Just not sure where yet (not much point in walling of a section if its blindingly obvious and is anything but 100% secure).
The safe is large enough that it can't be casually moved though i am debating using a comalong to move in within the garage... Unless I make friends with the guy down the a street with the farm tractor....
The current 'plan' is for guns/ammo/powder/primers to be locked in safe or gun cabinet, reloading press/dies/scales/etc would be treated the same as tools (put in drawers or mounted on bench)...

Your safe is not safe in a garage. 2 guys with a little motivation will toss that safe around like nothing.
As far as moving it use a appliance dolly.
Also be mindful of tools in your garage.

Make sure the area is heated.

make sure when you choose, that it is safe area, that no unauthorized person can easy access to your stuff.

This and This!

Congrats on the new house.

Because of the foot traffic, and I'm "assuming" it is family/friend/kids(?) foot traffic, I would eliminate option one and two. So, I say option 3. Secure the doors (interior/exterior) and windows properly. Google "bump locks" to see how easy it is to get into a locked door with most standard big box deadbolts. Ask me how I know. [frown] Install some good shades to keep prying eyes out.

Besides heat. Also consider humidity control. Oh my gosh, ask me how I know. [sad]

Jay

Oh, and Happy New Year.

Make sure the area is heated.

I assume you're thinking winter in New England? And consequently condensation from warming of cold tools?

I just set up in my garage, and we don't have winter here in Georgia. We do however have SUMMER along with horrible humidity. I insulated my garage, and I'll run the dehumidifier when needed.

I'm already trying to keep the garage fairly well "climate controlled" because I've got my bike, tools, milling machine and drill press out there. Rust never sleeps and all that. I figure I have to be a little more careful because I don't want the gunpowder to soak up any moisture. Can I, (should I), put some of those little bags of dessicant in the powder dispenser?

Can I, (should I), put some of those little bags of dessicant in the powder dispenser?

No; just don't leave powder in there when you're not reloading.

- - - Updated - - -

I assume you're thinking winter in New England? And consequently condensation from warming of cold tools?

Yup.

You don't want your primers, powders or guns subject to constant temperature and humidity swings. The garage is a terrible place for that. Some days when a moist warm front pushes out a cold front my garage floor and half the stuff in it sweats for half a day. Get it all indoors if you can.

Last edited:
You don't want your primers, powders or guns subject to constant temperature and humidity swings. The garage is a terrible place for that. Some days with a moist warm front pushes out a cold front my garage floor and half the stuff in it sweats for half a day. Get it all indoors if you can.

Yup. A garage (not climate controlled) would be the last place I would put my reloading components.

Yup. A garage (not climate controlled) would be the last place I would put my reloading components.

Duly noted. My garage is fairly well climate controlled, construction down here has very different requirements, and I made some specifications and enhancements because of my tools, (think two full rollaways plus). I've not had to deal with gunpowder or primers before. It sounds as though I've got to empty the hopper when I'm not actively loading, (or define a time that it can sit). I need to go talk to some local experts - and fortunately there's a shop just down the road that sells reloading equipment and holds classes. I'll go talk to the owner this afternoon or tomorrow. He's retired, the shop is a hobby, so catching him is a bit tricky, but he loves to talk.

In my case the garage in fairly climate controlled but the twice a day door opening might be rough. At least I didn't notice any change between the finished basement (that had a bedroom) and the garage... But the house was on min heat and it was a mild day so....
My current idea is look into the possibility of opening a doorway from garage to 'office' front room (existing half height closet is visible from garage side) and reinforcing all doors into back room (replacing with sold core doors with reinforced hinges and maybe drop locks). Just would have to move big ass safe into the correct room though...

Get some steel pipe and that safe will move around with ease.
Unfortunately it does have wheels, that I am sure are either seized up or flat on the bottom... moving it is the least of my worries, it's how many freinds I need to bribe to get it up and a step threshold (assuming it fits through the door).

What can I say, I expect the worst at all times...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom