• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading and homeowner's insurance

Mbous

NES Member
Does anyone know of any company that does homeowner's insurance that allows you to do reloading, with or without a rider? So far Amica and Preferred Mutual have told me no straight out and I can't get USAA coverage. Also the company will cover the house but exclude anything to do with reloading. I've taken the reloading class and have the certificate. Reloading and not having the homeowner's insurance covering it is not an option. Neither is hiding from the company that I'm reloading so then they cancel the policy and deny any claims if they arise.

private

- - - Updated - - -

So far preferred mutual and amica have talked to their underwriters when I call and they get back to me with "not covered, too high of a risk" even when I give them the class and this is for personal/hobby.

Why exactly are you asking your insurance company about reloading at all?

Seriously. Read your policy, see if it says something that would make you not covered. If you don't find anything, just do it. Calling them and asking - and receiving an explicit answer of no, which I suspect they will document - is not a good idea.

Seriously. Read your policy, see if it says something that would make you not covered. If you don't find anything, just do it. Calling them and asking - and receiving an explicit answer of no, which I suspect they will document - is not a good idea.

Don't ask don't tell.

I was shopping around for new home owners and car insurance a few months ago to try and bundle them. Read a bunch of policy's got a bunch of quotes and never seen or was asked about reloading as an issue. Ended up staying with the company I have had for 34 years. All because I have a GSD (German Shepherd) and no one would even think about it writing a new policy. I have had them for over 35 years and never an issue...

I suspect that if you asked an insurance company if it is OK to store a couple of Jerry cans full of gas in your garage, shed, or cellar you'd get a similar answer.

Insurance companies want to rake in your premiums but are "risk adverse" . . . anything that sounds like a risk they have a standard answer "not allowed" or "we won't cover"!

I own a local insurance agency and I have never seen any exclusions for reloading in any of the policies I have come across. If it's not excluded, its covered with an "all risk" policy. PM me.

Why exactly are you asking your insurance company about reloading at all?

This.

I own a local insurance agency and I have never seen any exclusions for reloading in any of the policies I have come across. If it's not excluded, its covered with an "all risk" policy. PM me.

And this. By going out of your way to ask, you may have simply given them the opportunity to say no to something that would ordinarily not be an issue.

Plus 1 !!!!! If not excluded, it's FU!!ING COVERED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

This.

And this. By going out of your way to ask, you may have simply given them the opportunity to say no to something that would ordinarily not be an issue.

This exactly.

I remember when I got my drivers license i was dreading the cost of insurance. All my friends parents had called and told their insurance company that they had a newly minted 16 year old male driver in the household.

When I asked my dad about paying for insurance, he told me it didn't cost a dime extra as long as I didn't hit anything. I asked why? He explained to me that when you get a policy you have to list all the drivers in the house. He also explained to me that auto insurance covers ANYONE who drives your car. Finally he explained that he was not obligated to tell them that i was a new driver. However if they asked, he had to tell the truth. Moral of the story. Never lie. But never volunteer anything.

I was on his policy until I was out of college at 23 and it never cost him a dime.

This exactly.

I remember when I got my drivers license i was dreading the cost of insurance. All my friends parents had called and told their insurance company that they had a newly minted 16 year old male driver in the household.

When I asked my dad about paying for insurance, he told me it didn't cost a dime extra as long as I didn't hit anything. I asked why? He explained to me that when you get a policy you have to list all the drivers in the house. He also explained to me that auto insurance covers ANYONE who drives your car. Finally he explained that he was not obligated to tell them that i was a new driver. However if they asked, he had to tell the truth. Moral of the story. Never lie. But never volunteer anything.

I was on his policy until I was out of college at 23 and it never cost him a dime.

i hope i remember this in 14 years.

This exactly.

This is not necessarily true. It depends on the state insurance regulations, however, if you pull this trick and have an undocumented teenage driver living in your house, you will likely find that the coverage is either absent for the undocumented driver; at statutory minimum; or reduced to the level the paid premium would have purchased had the teenage driver been declared. My guess is you father could have been in a world of financial hurt if you have a million dollar accident.

Hopefully, someone expert in MA insurance law can explain exactly how it works in this state.

Unlike reloading, buying a new dog, etc. the teen terror on the parent's policy is common enough for there to be specific laws and policies regarding undeclared household memberd.

This is not necessarily true. It depends on the state insurance regulations, however, if you pull this trick and have an undocumented teenage driver living in your house, you will likely find that the coverage is either absent for the undocumented driver; at statutory minimum; or reduced to the level the paid premium would have purchased had the teenage driver been declared. My guess is you father could have been in a world of financial hurt if you have a million dollar accident.

Hopefully, someone expert in MA insurance law can explain exactly how it works in this state.

Unlike reloading, buying a new dog, etc. the teen terror on the parent's policy is common enough for there to be specific laws and policies regarding undeclared household memberd.

I agree. People should not necessarily assume your policy is written this way. Read your policy. A few years ago I got written by, I can't remember who, and they asked for the names and ages of all the people in the house over 12 years of age. I didn't have any kids at the time, but I'd suspect that one of the kids turning 16 would trigger a letter asking me to re-certify the number of drivers in the house. Also remember that I was 16 thirty years ago. Things could change.

Bottom line is that your ins policy is a contract. Read it. Know it.

Back
Top Bottom