• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading 9mm

9mm is about $7 per hundred if you cast your own

$3 for primers
$2 for bullets
$2 for powder

Still takes a decent amount of shooting to payoff the equipment but who's in this to save money...
If you compare it to match factory ammo, you dont need to reload that many to break even.

For 9mm, without buying the cheapest components, I can still reload match grade ammo for less than I would pay (pre-covid) for 1K of the cheapest steel cased ammo.

I dont know what bullets you are buying for $2/100. Are you casting?

I originally started reloading 357 magnum but once I started shooting IDPA/USPSA I liked tuning my loads so they weren’t as stout as factory ammo.

If you compare it to match factory ammo, you dont need to reload that many to break even.

For 9mm, without buying the cheapest components, I can still reload match grade ammo for less than I would pay (pre-covid) for 1K of the cheapest steel cased ammo.

I dont know what bullets you are buying for $2/100. Are you casting?
Yes - casting and coating.
Even with hitech coating the cost for 120g bullets is really low if you can get lead for around $1-1.25/lbs

I just joined Northeastshooters and also just got a Dillon 550B to start my reloading journey. I thought this would be a good place to do my first post. I would appreciate any advice that I could get about reloads for 9mm 147 grain, but I plan to use it in a Sig X5 and a Sig M17. BTW... The reason I'm using 147 grain is I would like to shoot the occasional bowling pin. I did pick up a Lyman reloading specifications manual. I should mention that I have many good people around me, giving me advice, but I'm always willing to learn. - Thanks, GBD

I just joined Northeastshooters and also just got a Dillon 550B to start my reloading journey. I thought this would be a good place to do my first post. I would appreciate any advice that I could get about reloads for 9mm 147 grain, but I plan to use it in a Sig X5 and a Sig M17. BTW... The reason I'm using 147 grain is I would like to shoot the occasional bowling pin. I did pick up a Lyman reloading specifications manual. I should mention that I have many good people around me, giving me advice, but I'm always willing to learn. - Thanks, GBD
I can’t suggest any specifics but read that manual from front to back a few times then buy another manual and do the same. Learn the basics really well and understand the why behind them.
Welcome to the forum and the addiction of reloading.
Then you can start casting your own

paging @andrew1220 !

Do you already have primers on hand?...

There’s a million companies making 147 gr bullets - many of which are backlogged but some aren’t.

You’ve got plenty of options as far as powder is concerned.

Do you have components already?

Read that before you start cranking out ammo.

I started loading .45 and .38 on a Dillon 550B back in 1993. Still using that Dillon today. Didn’t start loading 9mm until around 2005 My only regret was that for all those years I never saved all the 9mm brass I shot or came across because I never expected to shoot that much of it. Then my 2 kids started Shooting at a very young age and it was an immediate transition to 9mm and loading my own. I’m confident the cost savings alone in shifting from .45 to 9mm paid for the two new 9mm pistols I bought in less than 2 years.
Well, at least that’s what I told my wife when I bought them.
:)

I've been using Silhouette - It is a slow powder so you need to get toward the upper end for it to perform and clean up.

auto comp and CFE pistol are also great if you can get them right now.

Some good results data here for various powders (don't use their load data without working up - they have some stout loads listed)

I can’t suggest any specifics but read that manual from front to back a few times, then buy another manual and do the same. Learn the basics really well and understand the why behind them.
Welcome to the forum and the addiction of reloading.
Then you can start casting your own
I have been reading that manual and can not wait for the movie! Thanks...

I started loading .45 and .38 on a Dillon 550B back in 1993. Still using that Dillon today. Didn’t start loading 9mm until around 2005 My only regret was that for all those years I never saved all the 9mm brass I shot or came across because I never expected to shoot that much of it. Then my 2 kids started Shooting at a very young age and it was an immediate transition to 9mm and loading my own. I’m confident the cost savings alone in shifting from .45 to 9mm paid for the two new 9mm pistols I bought in less than 2 years.
Well, at least that’s what I told my wife when I bought them.
:)
Thanks!!!!

Do you already have primers on hand?...

There are a million companies making 147 gr bullets - many of which are backlogged, but some aren’t.

You’ve got plenty of options as far as the powder is concerned.

Do you have components already?
What comes to mind is that is the following. I have some primers but always looking for more. I have pistol and rifle powder but will probably stock up. I ordered some 9mm 147 in dark red to distinguish between my reloads and factory ammo. Also, have lots of brass for various calibers but always looking for more. I picked up the reloading hardware: dies, tumbler, dryer, reamer, deburring tool, primer pocket cleaner, caliber gauges, and scales. Anything I may have missed?

What comes to mind is that is the following. I have some primers but always looking for more. I have pistol and rifle powder but will probably stock up. I ordered some 9mm 147 in dark red to distinguish between my reloads and factory ammo. Also, have lots of brass for various calibers but always looking for more. I picked up the reloading hardware: dies, tumbler, dryer, reamer, deburring tool, primer pocket cleaner, caliber gauges, and scales. Anything I may have missed?

didn't see digital caliper for measuring OAL in your list.

Don't know what you're running for a press so this may not be applicable. I have a Dillon XL650 and I added light by UFO to it, makes it a lot easier to see. I also have a casefeeder, and I have a pair of curved longnose forceps that come in really handy for removing that top piece of brass (at the stop switch) when I need to remove the tube.

Forceps also useful for moving brass around on the shell plate, much easier to get in there with them than my somewhat large squarish fingers :)

didn't see digital caliper for measuring OAL in your list.

Don't know what you're running for a press so this may not be applicable. I have a Dillon XL650 and I added light by UFO to it, makes it a lot easier to see. I also have a casefeeder, and I have a pair of curved longnose forceps that come in really handy for removing that top piece of brass (at the stop switch) when I need to remove the tube.

Forceps also useful for moving brass around on the shell plate, much easier to get in there with them than my somewhat large squarish fingers :)
Thank you very much, based on your comments I picked up some forceps.

Back
Top Bottom