• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading 7.62x54

I searched through the reloading forum, but came up empty. I just picked up an M44 which I now know is a must have for anyone into shooting. I had a blast firing it and laughing my ass off with my brother inlaw who has never shot before. So, does anyone reload this stuff or is it not worth it. I have a Dillon 650 and I'm not sure what dies and shell plate I would need. Would setting the Dillon up for 7.62 be all I need to do, or is it different with 7.62x54. What bullets do you guys use? I've only reloaded for .45 and just got the machine about a month ago.

Best to contact Dillon to find if your press is capable of loading 7.62x54Rmm, and if so, which shellplate is needed.

I just loaded some 7.62x53Rmm (same cartridge, .308 bullet) on my RCBS Rockchucker press. Graf brass, Remington 150gr FMJBT bullets with 45gr IMR4895. The M39s like .308 bullets. Your M44 probably has a larger bore and will require .310 or larger bullets.

I put 20 rounds in to a 1-1/2"-2" group at 50yds from my M39 Finn.
I find open sights increasingly challenging so I was pleased with the group size.
That load pretty much duplicates the military load and was shooting about 5" high at 50 yards with the rear sight at the lowest setting. I'm just guessing that it would shoot about POA @ 200 yards.

If you are asking whether 7.62 NATO and 7.62x54Rmm use the same loading dies, the answer is no, not even close.

Boxer or berdan primed ammo?

If its berdan primed surplus, you're wasting your time.

I'd check the diameter of the bullets on some of the ammo you were shooting and see what size they are or slug your barrel. Typically, combloc 7.62Xwhatever is larger in diameter by anywhere from 3 to 4 thousandths than US/nato .30 cal which is .308

You could use .308 bullets but your accuracy will suck.

You can load the 7.62x54 on a 650. You need the dies and a conversion Kit. The conversion kit is the same one used for the .45-70. I think just the powder funnel needs to be changed. For the price of the conversion kit, I would just load on a single stage or buy the surplus. The 7.62x54 uses the .311-.313 bullet. Same as the .303 Brit. Wolf Gold and Prvi Partisan is your best bet for inexpensive reloadable brass.

Thanks for the replies. I am going to slug the bore to get a better idea of what size bulets I need. I may just get a single stage since I probably won't be loading in large quantities.

I do reload the 7.62x54R. It has been a while, so I will have to check my data. I believe that the dia. is .310, same as the 7.62x39.
I bought a case of 137 grain bullets from someone in AZ. a long time ago, and found some boxer brass at a gun show. I used 303 Brit load data to start, and it worked fine. I used Lee dies.
The Bulgarian ammo was so cheap that I bought a couple cases, and have been using that over the years in my 44. I can consistantly clang a 12" gong at 300 yds. with this ammo using the open sights.
Great muzzle blast!

Last edited:
All 7.62x54r bores may measure different diameters. I have 2 91/30's that are .311 and 2 that are .312. The PSL I have is .311. Most of my shooting with the 91/30's is done w/ .312 bullets, just more accurate through any of them. 1/1000 of an inch won't harm a .311 bore. Gas Checked lead is another option. 2000 fps makes for a fun and inexpensive target, vermin round. I use Prvi brass, CCI primers, and IMR4320 or 4064.

Edit: 4064 tends to be more accurate.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't shoot a Mosin Nagant, but I've brewed up a few loads for 54R with some pulled Brit and Argentinian tips. Many 30 cal. cast bullet molds drop at .314" so you can size accordingly and use these, too. In a bolt gun, you can concoct light loads with plain base bullets, such as the Lyman 311410, and shoot all day long for almost peanuts. Use 9-10 grains of Trail Boss or 12 grains Red Dot or other published data.
If you must have the mule kick and muzzle blast go with full power jacketed loads, of course!

The few 7.62x53Rs that I have miked are .308" (Sako; they are boxer primed, too).

I think I was looking at a new Hornady load manual the other day and it seemed to contain many obsolete military calibers. Check for that for your 54R recipes.

Last edited:
I do a lot of reloads for the Mosin (7.62 X 54R), and use .308 diameter bullets in boxer primed brass cases. I do it on a single station RCBS press, with Lee dies. My Lee die set came with a bonus "factory crimp die" Makes shootin the Mosin the most fun (when you know how cheap the ammo is, and I don't throw away any steel cases (since I never buy any).

Back
Top Bottom