• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading 7.62 x 39

Ray P said:
May be kind of late in the history of the thread; but I'm going to try my first batch of reloaded 7.62x39 with .308 bullets out of my Mini 30 tomorrow.
I can't say how many times I've learned the hard way not to allow too many variables into an experiment . Today I had the opportunity to learn the lesson again (self-mocking laughter goes here).

Over the winter, I added a clamp-on scope rail. Today before shooting, I added the scope. I was very careful to ensure the scope rings were tight. I zeroed the scope using PMC Bronze-grade ammo before I started on the reloaded stuff. With the PMC, I got a 2-1/4 inch group at 50 yards. Using that scope setting, I started shooting the reloads.

First thing I noticed; the 17.5 gr loads had a point of impact seven inches lower (at 50 yds) than the factory .311 bullet loads. Also, the reloads wouldn't consistantly cycle the action until I got to the 20.5 gr loads.

But overall, the groups started sloppy, and just got worse. I kept checking the screws for the scope rings, but they were tight. Didn't catch the real issue until I got home. The clamping screws on the rail shot loose!

Shucks. Now I got to reload another batch, and test again!

I've reloaded 7.62x39 since I bought a Ruger bolt rifle accuracy is fair probably because of reasons stated above.I use AA 1680 and surplus 680 for jacketed bullets 5744 for cast.recoil is quite mild and will be using rifle with friends and thier kids at the range. perhaps I'll send it out for a new barrell at a later date who knows

The mild recoil is why the mini-30 is my daughter's favorite rifle.
I'm just looking to make it a bit more accurate. Reloading may give me some improvement, but an ASI barrel may be the final solution.

Ray P said:
The mild recoil is why the mini-30 is my daughter's favorite rifle.
I'm just looking to make it a bit more accurate. Reloading may give me some improvement, but an ASI barrel may be the final solution.

Mini-14s and Mini-30s are known for inaccuracy. The primary factor appears to be barrel dimensions and profile, which tends to make them whippy, and which is compounded by the muzzle-end anchoring of the barrel to the action, which tends to make the grouping asymetrical. That is why where is such a market for third-party barrels for these rifles.

Back
Top Bottom