Reloading 500S&W Magnum

After long thoughts about my Xmas present I decided to buy one of these beasts. Told wife I wanted a gun as big as her ass. Dies and other odds and ends are on their way along with some 325 gr heads but I would like to find some 500gr bullets to work up loads with also. Anybody here cast a 500 gr head that I can buy 20 of before I search for a mold in that size?

Thanks
Dave

I have one on order througha cast boolits group buy and can get some to you after it comes in. Depends on weather my present sizing die will lube it properly as far as that goes though. We met a sunday shoot @ uxbridge once

I have one on order througha cast boolits group buy and can get some to you after it comes in. Depends on weather my present sizing die will lube it properly as far as that goes though. We met a sunday shoot @ uxbridge once

Great I am on the list for the 350gr at cast boolits. If you didn't get in on that one maybe we can swap back and forth. Ordered a .500 sizing die for my Star so sizing isn't a problem.
Dave

I have a sizing die for my star I got from lathesmith on cb.It works great on the 700 gr but messier on the 350 both of those are mihec molds I bought on cb.

May have to look around some more for molds as I have just realized that the 350 gr mold group buy I was getting in on is due next dec not this dec. Cant see myself waiting a year for a mold. Got to be some molds for the 500 around
Dave

Lee, Lyman, and RCBS make molds for the .500.

Damn, should have put one on my Christmas list. Oh well. I'll just buy one myself.

Thanks for the info Jim.

From my droid that yellow looks like an ear plug.

Trust me, it is unburned H-110 powder, not an ear plug.

Dave, what barrel size are you getting?

And the guys at castboolits who male/sell the molds typically have some extras for sale. I'd suggest that you contact Miha and Swede Nelson to see what they have.

On it. TIA

Last edited:
Dave, what barrel size are you getting?

Bought the 6 1/2" Picking it up this afternoon as it should be in. Got a PM in to Swede to see what he may have extra. Believe he has a 450/400HP mold right now. Would like to get a 325. Can get the Lyman 375gr cheap enough for $65 and may have to do that for now until other choices show up. Place called Matts bullets has all different sizes but he's not doing any orders till Feb. His prices make me not want to cast except that I got a ton+ of lead in my cellar!

Dave ( soon to wake up the hood one 500 mag at a time )[rofl]

Trust me, it is unburned H-110 powder, not an ear plug.

If I'm seeing small amounts of yellow powder like that, is that an indication that I should up the load a bit?

I've had zero problems with incomplete ignition, plenty big fireballs, etc.

I'm using H110 in .500 and .50AE, I see yellow beads in both when cleaning the .500 and Desert Eagle.

Loaded up my first rounds for this beast last night but had to do the mouse fart loads for my indoor range. What a sweet shooting gun!! 440gr over 10gr Trailboss and 325gr over 13gr Trailboss made for nice indoor rounds. Thanks to everybody who recommended the Lyman M die. Lot easier seating a round. Now have to wait 10 days until the outdoor range opens up again when hunting season ends to put some real rounds downrange.
Great info in this thread
Dave

I picked up some 390 gr spire point bullets, but can't find a seating die that can seat then without smashing the points. Do I need to drill a hole in the center of the seating insert?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom