• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading .380 with 9mm dies?

msdamato

NES Member
I currently reload 9mm and my father just bought a .380. He asked if I could reload the .380's with my 9mm die's for target practice. At first my answer was no.

But the other night I was reloading and when I pressed the projectile in the case it barely seated. When I looked at it I realized it was a .380 not a 9mm.

I have found a .380 mixed in before but it never made it that far into the process before. Got me thinking. Why not? Lets say you asjusted the die to seat the smaller projectile properly would it work?

If not do I need a whole new set or just the size/deprimeing die?

Not that I think adjusting the dies every time I want to switch caliber would be worth saving the $40, more just curious if it could be done. Plus I'll take any chance I can get for my father to buy a tool for my reloading kit.

You can't do it.

The 9mm is a tapered case, the .380 is not. I doubt you'd be able to get a decent crimp with a 9mm die either.

9mm tapered? What about .40 and .45? I don't remember the ABC's book saying that. Thought I remember the all being refered to as straight wall pistol cases. Not that i've read it cover to cover, more like brezzed through it to pick up the difference between rifle and pistol. Guess i need a more in depth reading.

According to the SAAMI print, the 9mm Luger has .011 of taper between just in front of the case head to the case mouth. Straight wall refers to no shoulder.

.40S&W and .45ACP have a slight amount of taper.

B

While trying to make some of my .40 brass jacketed bullets (which I make by dropping a cast lead 9mm bullet, 105 grains, into a 9mm luger empty case, and swaging), I was having trouble. I started off with 125 grain cast bullets as the core, and ended up with a heavy and LONG 187 grain .40 bullet. Too long for me.

I tried some 105 grain cast bullets in a shorter case, 380 auto, and that gave me the right target weight, 165 grains, and a good length, but the bullets didn't form out correctly.

I ended up having to trim 9mm cases to .380 auto length, and now they come out perfectly.

That's a longer answer to, NO...... the 380 is NOT a shorter 9mm. They are very different, and you need to use 380 tools on 380.

P1020397.jpg

Last edited:
Guess i need a more in depth reading.

It might not be in there, but I bet is says something about only using the right dies for your caliber. [wink]

Try making up a dummy round of .380 with your 9mm dies. I suspect that the sizing die will not adequately size the case so that it will firmly hold the bullet.

Thanks guys. Good stuff to know. Like I said I'll let my dad buy the die's anyways but I'm always up for some schooling.

I believe the rim of the .380 is also smaller than the 9mm. It's the same size as the .223 which is slightly smaller than the 9mm. You could probably get away with the 9mm size for .380 because the case is so short but if you try to size a .223 case with a 9mm shellplate you will eventually pull a rim off and stick the case in the die.

The .380 casehead will not work with a typical shell holder for 9mm... it's way too small.

I know this because I've accidentally attempted to load .380s in my Dillon 550 will doing 9mm runs and the shell launches out of the holder when you attempt to prime it. [laugh]

-Mike

The .380 casehead will not work with a typical shell holder for 9mm... it's way too small.

I know this because I've accidentally attempted to load .380s in my Dillon 550 will doing 9mm runs and the shell launches out of the holder when you attempt to prime it. [laugh]

-Mike

I have had 380 cases make it as far as the seating station in my 550. at that point it becomes obvious that you are not dealing with a 9mm case as there is no flare to the case mouth. I think you could reload 380 with 9mm dies, but it would depend on the chamber of the pistol the ammo was intended for.

Back
Top Bottom