• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading 308

Any thoughts on the best reloading die sets to use for loading 308? Loading for a semi auto platform using either a single stage press or a progressive press?
Also, what brass is best?
Thanks

Get an RCBS Precision Mic or Hornady Headspace Comparator to verify that you've got your sizing die set properly.

I'm not a fan of Lee dies - I like Redding (including the Redding Competition Seating die). Depending on your rifle's chamber, you might need a small base sizing die. Don't use small base dies unless you need them though.

For precision rifle reloading, I like the solid frame of a good single stage press (like a Rockchucker).

You can't go wrong with LC brass if you can find it. If you want to spend the money for good new brass, Lapua and Norma are the best. I also really like Hornady brass.

Last edited:
Any tips for somebody getting started on reloading 308 for a bolt gun?

Get a good powder load figured out before you start messing with land spacing. Also consider whether you'd ever want the ability to run those same rounds through a semi/mag, as OAL will then be a limiting factor.

If you're using bullets like Barnes TTSX, a Lyman VLD case mouth chamfer tool will save you a couple ruined rounds by preventing the rings from grabbing the case mouth and destroying it as the bullet tries to seat. Ask me how I know [sad] At $0.70+/bullet I take my time when reloading those.

342199.jpg

TSX_TTSX.jpg

Last edited:
Any tips for somebody getting started on reloading 308 for a bolt gun?

If you are talking about a precision rifle, start with good brass. It is false economy to cull through 500 pieces of mutt GI surplus brass to garner yourself 200 pieces of good, consistent, usable brass.

I say this from a poor man's perspective--if your goal is accuracy, just throw down for 250 pieces of Lapua and have yourself some fun working up consistent loads.

And if anybody would like to trade 600 pieces of Lake City Long Range (in two different headstamp years and also in three distinct weight categories) for 250 pieces of Lapua, hey--drop me a PM.

(ETA: Yeah I'm kidding--but just barely).

ETA2:

I have scrounged a lot of .308 Lake City lately--mostly white box stuff, Lake City '13, and I was pretty amazed at the tiny weight variation from case-to-case.

The brass that was shot through a semi-auto .308 AR (DPMS)would not chamber in my bolt gun--even after full-length resizing. I had to resize it small-base.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that nobody has called out the OP on his choice of trimmer.

Nice. Talk about buy once, cry once. I just can't bring myself to get a Giraud, but it is undoubtedly the best.

Can I ship you some brass for prepping?

One other point re brass. Norma brass is supposedly the BEST. The funny thing is that their loaded .308 ammo, with a 168gr SMK is only a little more than their brass. So if you intend to buy some ammo to practice with and also buy some top quality brass, you might want to look into norma ammo and kill two birds with one stone.

I'm surprised that nobody has called out the OP on his choice of trimmer.

Nice. Talk about buy once, cry once. I just can't bring myself to get a Giraud, but it is undoubtedly the best.
Dcmcdon, how much brass do you normally have to process? If I had to do more than 4-500 at a time the Giraud is absolutely worth it.

Thats about a month's worth. Its time to bite the bullet.

I'm also curious about what people think about the X die. It supposedly stops the case from growing when you full length resize it.

At this point, I trim every time I full length resize.

I just bought my first bolt 308. (other than my 5.5 lb A bolt micro, which is no fun to shoot) I've got to read up on neck resizing. I'm guessing that will diminish case length growth.

Last edited:
People swear by them. Personally I'm fond of my Hornady dies for .308 and .223. I have a fair amount of brass saved up though and I haven't been burning through ammo like congress on a spending spree, so the number of reloads hasn't become and issue for me yet

I first bought Lee 308 dies for a M1A NM. After resize, the brass wouldn't chamber. I sent the dies back to Lee for rework. The brass still wouldn't chamber.
I then bought a set of RCBS small base X dies and had no further problems.

I have hornady full length resizing dies, but if I'm reloading the match grade cases I shot out of my FN bolt gun for the same gun should I get a neck die or just full length resize it?

Last edited:
I always full length size now. Personally I've yet to see a difference to only neck sizing.

Eddie has way more experience than most of us ever will and I believe he only full length sizes.

Ok, I did it.

I just ordered a Girraud trimmer set up for .308 and .223. The upside is that it won't ship till June. So I'll have plenty of time to save up. Or sell other stuff.

Anybody want a nice RCBS?

Don

Well done. You won't regret it. In the meantime you're welcome to come to my place and I'll show you how to set it up and crank a few.

Not 308 but I have seen very little difference in accuracy in my 1903a3 between neck sizing and setting up my full length sizing die with the rcbs precision mic. Could just be the rifle though. Now my k98 Mauser has shown in more consistant fps and a slightly tighter grouping off the rifle rest with neck size only.
Going on to my 303 enfield. Full length sizing really shortens case life...3 and I had case head splits. Neck sizing I'm @ 5 now with no issues.

Someone touched on a good point. Sometimes it is "cheaper" to buy loaded ammo for the brass.
When looking for Swiss 7.5 best price on brass was 73ea shipped in bags of 50.... no discount for shipping multiple bags....I found loaded PPU for 82 cents shipped.
I have seen some good deals on 308 in the past few weeks...

Not 308 but I have seen very little difference in accuracy in my 1903a3 between neck sizing and setting up my full length sizing die with the rcbs precision mic. Could just be the rifle though. Now my k98 Mauser has shown in more consistant fps and a slightly tighter grouping off the rifle rest with neck size only.
Going on to my 303 enfield. Full length sizing really shortens case life...3 and I had case head splits. Neck sizing I'm @ 5 now with no issues.

Someone touched on a good point. Sometimes it is "cheaper" to buy loaded ammo for the brass.
When looking for Swiss 7.5 best price on brass was 73ea shipped in bags of 50.... no discount for shipping multiple bags....I found loaded PPU for 82 cents shipped.
I have seen some good deals on 308 in the past few weeks...

For 54r it's much better to buy loaded brass . I can get it for less then a dollar around . Lupa 54r brass is a dollar case.

Yes. Privi makes decent brass cased 7.62x54R. Their match ammo is about $17/box. Not too bad, its supposed to be very good.

Shooting my psl at the short out door range at mra. I was getting smaller then baseball groups using a rest on the hand guard shooting at a good pace. Man did it wreck the brass lol .I was trying to do fast follow up shops with the scope. [video=youtube_share;4ALudtF6tPg]http://youtu.be/4ALudtF6tPg[/video]
Slow mo btw
Winches white box soft point not bad .
I want to get match grade s&b that stuff amazing the one time I got a box allmost as good as 7n1.

Gotten silver dollar size groups with my scoped mosin at 100 yards with a bi pod. Ppu/privi

I need to learn to reload for my mosin....

Back
Top Bottom