Reloading .308 WIN

84ta406

NES Member
Hey guys, going to start reloading .308 WIN this week for my bolt action rifle. I was wondering if some of you guys have a "pet load" or anything you like.

Im torn as to which bullets to get but I am leaning towards the 168gr Sierra Match Kings. My rifle has a 18.5" barrel with a 1:9 twist rate, also a Surefire Procomp brake if that matters. Maybe someone knows more than I do about that to suggest something better as well.

I am using RCBS dies and Lapua brass.

Standard load is 41.5 of IMR 4895 behind the 168 Sierra. Start there and I doubt you will ever find a load that shoots much better

Here you go over 500 pet loads, not powder or bullet MFG loads, that should keep you busy.

http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=57

Dean
Thanks Dean, lots to look at this week.
What are you reloading rounds for? Bench accuracy? Hunting? Zombies?
Bench shooting with a small possibility of hunting.
Standard load is 41.5 of IMR 4895 behind the 168 Sierra. Start there and I doubt you will ever find a load that shoots much better
Thanks, Ive been undecided on the powder but that one was on the list.
If you want to do the Varmint thing which is always fun, 110gr VMax's with some H4198 will get you this.

Dean

Damn..

No special recipes here. Generally, I go with published data for whatever listed powder that I might have on hand or can find on the shelf.
If speed is your thing, try the sabot loads. I know they are quite explosive on water jugs. Don't have a chronograph to clock them.

168gr Hornady bthp or amax pushed by 42gr H335 works great im my 20" AR10. My twist is a little slower though.

As you begin to see, there are a lot of good loads for the 168 SMK. My favorite is 42.2 grains of Reloder 15, with slugs seated to 15-thousandths jump.

Hey guys, going to start reloading .308 WIN this week for my bolt action rifle. I was wondering if some of you guys have a "pet load" or anything you like.

Im torn as to which bullets to get but I am leaning towards the 168gr Sierra Match Kings. My rifle has a 18.5" barrel with a 1:9 twist rate, also a Surefire Procomp brake if that matters. Maybe someone knows more than I do about that to suggest something better as well.

I am using RCBS dies and Lapua brass.

Verify this with another source before taking it as gospel on the .308, but just an fyi, Lapua runs small, case capacity wise. This is true with at least their 223 and 260 brass, so I would assume the 308 as well. Just something to be aware of. I can run a whole grain less of whatever powder in my 260 loads to achieve the same velocity in winchester or remington brass. It becomes an issue when you're dancing around max loads.

What distance are you shooting these to? Some say the 168's go transonic past 600 yards. I load 175 hpbt with reloader 15.

If you're loading for accuracy or long range finding your lands and loading just shy of them will give you just as much benefit as your choice of powder and projectile.

1:9 seems like a fast twist rate. You may want to try 185 juggernauts if you want to reach out there. They worked well in my 16"

I was thinking the same thing. Ive been shooting a lot of M80 type ammo and it seems to be decent but I really want to see what I can do with this little scout.

Some good suggestions and tips guys, thank you! Im going to pickup some H335 and IMR 4895 this week.

- - - Updated - - -

What distance are you shooting these to? Some say the 168's go transonic past 600 yards. I load 175 hpbt with reloader 15.

If you're loading for accuracy or long range finding your lands and loading just shy of them will give you just as much benefit as your choice of powder and projectile.

Id love to try some long range stuff but distances will be 300 yards MAX.

My Savage Model 10 TH .308 with a 1:10 twist has a current diet of 168 gr. AMAX over 44.2 grains of Varget in an full length sized MKE '14 case sparked by a S&B Large Rifle primer. Relatively cheap loading that works well for me. I'm currently working on developing a 150 gr. FMJBT load with Varget that prints well.

Sub 1" groups on the regular at 100 yards, I haven't had the chance to stretch it's legs yet on the 200 yard range or further. I'm still working on a ladder for the best COAL.

Thanks Dean, lots to look at this week.

Bench shooting with a small possibility of hunting.

Thanks, Ive been undecided on the powder but that one was on the list.

Damn..

You probably already know this, but DO NOT HUNT GAME WITH HOLLOW POINT MATCH BULLETS! They will not kill humanely.

Back
Top Bottom