• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading .30-06 for the M1 Garand

I finally purchased my first M1 a few weeks ago after many years of wanting and was shocked at the price of ammunition. I have been reloading pistol for some time now and was considering reloading .30-06 as well. Now the questions: I have been reading that these rifles should use only military surplus ammunition due to the possibility of a slam fire, if this is true, can't you just find a harder primer? Who makes a harder primer if there is such a thing. Where would I find reloading data to simulate a military .30-06 round so the rifle will function as designed? Any input would be appreciated.[smile]

As for the slam fire... Make sure that your primers are seated just below flush with the bottom of the case. I would stick with Winchester primers. They seem to be the hardest primers that are out there. Federal are VERY soft. Soft to the point that I had one that wasn't seated exactly flush, and when I closed my bolt, the bolt face actually ripped the primer cup open.

As for the load data...
The military spec for the .30 caliber, ball, M2 cartridge is as follows.
Propellant:
Type........................ IMR 4895
Weight..................... 50 gr
Legnth:
COL......................... 3.34 in.
Performance:
Chamber Pressure....... 50,000 psi
Velocity.................... 2740 fps, 78 ft from muzzle

This information is taken directly from:
ARMY AMMUNITION DATA SHEETS SMALL CALIBER AMMUNITION FSC 1305

Use this data at your own risk, and check multiple sources for load data, including the powder manufacture.

Surplus ammo from the CMP is about $.22-$.24 a round* (can't exactely remember)by the crate (768 rds),which includes clips and bandos.It's also cheaper by a few cents if you buy the ammo in 20 round boxes.

*It's $206.00 shipped for a crate of Greek 30-06 from the CMP.

When I first got my Garand,I picked up 5 boxes of ammo for like $60,I didn't know about the surplus stuff.

Personally,with the surplus available,there isn't a reason (yet) to reload 30-06 for the Garand.Just stock up on it until you have about 15K rounds in reserve,then you won't have to worry about a thing.

My little rule of thumb is as follows:When I open a spam can of ammo,I replace it with 2 cans.

Damn,this thread is making me want to buy some more ammo.

Last edited:
What you read is wrong. Military marksmanship teams routinely use handloads or COTS match ammunition for their activity. However you should do some research on how to reload for a semi auto rifle. I like Glen Zedikers stuff. The sierra reloading manual also has a section I believe.

some hints in no specific order:

Trim your brass

Use a case headspace guage to make sure that the resizing die is set up properly to resize case

Use a primer pocket uniformer to make sure that primers seat all the way down

Use a priming tool that lets you adjust seating depth of primer, or if not adjustable seats it all the way down in the pocket. My RCBS one wont do that for small primers but is fine for large

Use a hard primer. My understanding is that Federal should not be used in M1s or M-14s as they are soft, but we shot lots of Federal Match ammo that was, I assume, loaded with Federal primers. I think the Sierra Reloading manual has a chapter dealing with reloading for a semi-auto and they expressly state not to use federal primers in semi-autos.

Use a powder like 4895 or 4064. Don't use slow powders with unmodified gas systems.
For the record I have used CCI match primers with good luck in M-14s & M1As. You can also get CCI military spec. primers that have a much harder primer cup.

B

For a lot of years my NM load is 165 grain Sierra HPBT, 46.0 gr. W-W 748, CCI primers and mixed brass. Load is clean and quite accurate, reliably cycles the M1, and is just a smidgeon below M2 in velocity (and recoil).

I would stick with Winchester primers. They seem to be the hardest primers that are out there. Federal are VERY soft.
I agree that Federal are soft, but I thought that CCI was the hardest.

The CMP sells Lake City M2 ball for $230/case.

One case is 960 rounds in 4 cans, each containing 12 cardboard boxes of 20.

Cmp

CMP AFFILIATE CENTER FIRE AMMUNITION SALES PROGRAM
This CMP ammunition sales program is available only to affiliated clubs and state associations that have highpower rifle programs.

(My club does not have a program)

At the present time, the only ammunition available under this program is 5.56mm or .223 cal. ammunition.

A few tips from someone that has made a bunch of reloaded ammo for military semis.

Stick to Winchester primers. You can also use Remington 7 1/2's in an AR-15. Winchester and CCI have a priming compound that is less likely to Slam Fire. DO NOT USE FEDERAL PRIMERS. Soft cup, and sensitive compound. Very Bad Ju-Ju in a semi auto, especially an M1 or M14.

Always Full Length size your brass. You may want to get a small base sizer, and use it as needed.

I strongly recommend triming your brass EVERY time, unless it's already short enough.

You should anneal the brass, after triming and chamfering, and before priming every 3 or 4 times you reload them. Do this more often if you start getting cracked necks.

Try to stick to known brass types.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES RELOAD INDIAN 7.62 NATO BRASS. It is marked OFV. It's garbage, and dangerous to use, IMNSHO. Very brittle, and has been known to have case head blowouts.

Military Surplus pulled bullets are OK to use, especially US ones.

4064, 4895, and a lot of Accurate powders like 2015, etc. meet the burn requirements for the Garand. Even with Winchester primers, I still get occasional doubling. I believe that Winchester makes a mil spec primer that is harder, but I think that Wiedners was the last one I saw that advertised them.

Back
Top Bottom