Reload bench pics & setup. Suggestions?

I'll be loading pistol only. .45 ACP and .380 ACP to start. 9mm and 38 SP later.
8CBWEZYl_gju-O0mEKjDNw0Eh_qIbYUu1oZBKfZqOypmLO1gU9NfBBUnKK5HrwoN-VKG8iQn_PvQpZDlbxq0IwVL9dQOy_HcGJ0=s0-d-e1-ft

Started with Massreloaders Jim Finnery reloading course

Bench:
Windsor Bench (sanded and poly applied) w/3/4 nylon plugs
Half-inch thick solid core-board velour base dining table pad (left over from old dinning room table)
Anti slip/ anti-moisture drawer liners
Bench secured to wall stud w/ 3/8X10 lag screw
Securing bench to wall stud for extra stability during primer "push" installation and also may help in powder drop consistency.
Wall mounted shelf w/ 3 halogen lights above bench

Press:
Hornady LNL AP Progressive press
Inline Fabrication bracket
Inline Fabrication LED kit
Hornady Shell plates (.45&.380)
Hornady Die set (.45&.380)
RCBS Powder Check
Hornady LNL bushings (10 pack)
Hornady PTX (.451 and .355)

Environmental:
Bull Frog VCI (Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor) anti rust emitter shields, strips, and cups. Used for tools, dies, instrument protection, metal component cabinet, and safe.
Temperature / Humidity gauge

Safety:
Over prescription safety glasses
Fire extinguisher
Fire blanket
Smoke Detector

Misc tools etc.:
Digital Calipers.
Powder Funnel
Large red complete bin
Hornady Lock-N-Load Powder Measure Drain Insert
Hornady One Shot Cleaner Lube
Hornady Small primer tubes
Dillion Large primer tubes
RCBS primer flip tray
RCBS Bullet puller
Frankford Arsenal Digital Scale
L..E.Wilson .45 ACP and .380 ACP cartridge gauge
Graphite powder for anti static in powder tube drop,funnel,etc.
1/8” diameter hardwood dowel used for large primers
Reloading manuals (Lyman,Loadbooks and Hornday)
Metal Cabinet for components
Configurable lock and hasp for metal cabinet
Magnetic to use while sorting brass/steel
Long forceps for cleaning out powder measure and running a dryer sheet down inside
Plastic bins for components storage
T-Handle hex drivers
Magnifier glass
Reloading notebook/log book
Avery labels (#18163) for ammo boxes (have plenty of empty's)
Door lock to secure room
One Brick

My die setup configuration:
Station 1: Size & De-prime
Station 1.5 Primer installation push
Station 2: Expander
Station 3: LNL Powder Drop w/micrometer
Station 4: RCBS Powder Checker
Station 5: Seating & Taper Crimping

Components:
1 lb HODGDON TITEGROUP
HORNADY 45 CAL .451 230 GR FMJ-RN
Berry's .45 (.452) 230 GR RN
Berry's 380 (.356) 100 GR RNFB
Initial seeding of once fired cleaned brass

Future purchases:
Chronograph
Tumbler

Don't seem to be a fan of:

Suggestions?

Attachments

• bench5.jpg
    bench5.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 297
  • bench_bowling_alley.jpg
    bench_bowling_alley.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 252
  • drawer1.jpg
    drawer1.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 245
  • drawer2.jpg
    drawer2.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 225
  • plastic_case.jpg
    plastic_case.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 238
  • wall_secure1.jpg
    wall_secure1.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 226
Wow, when I started I had a used Lyman turret press, 1 set of dies, powder scale and a dipper set. The press was bolted to the cellar stairs.

What is it about the PTX you don't like?

For me, I just couldn't get the "bell/flare" right without throwing off the powder throw. I read the instructions, took it apart, reassembled many times, and worked on it for quite some time. With the stop bracket and without. It all makes sense to me, but I just wasn't feeling the love with it.

If I do use the PTX, station 5 would be empty. I'm fine with that if I could get it adjusted correctly. I had purchased Hornady's three die set and with the PTX installed, the expander die was not used. I took out the PTX and put in the pistol powder sleeve. Put the expander die in station 2 and got a nice "bell/flare" adjustment.

I'm sure down the road I'll return to it and work it through.

Jay

Last edited:
I'll be loading pistol only. .45 ACP and .380 ACP to start. 9mm and 38 SP later.
8CBWEZYl_gju-O0mEKjDNw0Eh_qIbYUu1oZBKfZqOypmLO1gU9NfBBUnKK5HrwoN-VKG8iQn_PvQpZDlbxq0IwVL9dQOy_HcGJ0=s0-d-e1-ft

Started with Massreloaders Jim Finnery reloading course

Bench:
Windsor Bench (sanded and poly applied) w/3/4 nylon plugs
Half-inch thick solid core-board velour base dining table pad (left over from old dinning room table)
Anti slip/ anti-moisture drawer liners
Bench secured to wall stud w/ 3/8X10 lag screw
Securing bench to wall stud for extra stability during primer "push" installation and also may help in powder drop consistency.
Wall mounted shelf w/ 3 halogen lights above bench

Press:
Hornady LNL AP Progressive press
Inline Fabrication bracket
Inline Fabrication LED kit
Hornady Shell plates (.45&.380)
Hornady Die set (.45&.380)
RCBS Powder Check
Hornady LNL bushings (10 pack)

Environmental:
Bull Frog VCI (Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor) anti rust emitter shields, strips, and cups. Used for tools, dies, instrument protection, metal component cabinet, and safe.
Temperature / Humidity gauge

Safety:
Over prescription safety glasses
Fire extinguisher
Fire blanket
Smoke Detector

Misc tools etc.:
Digital Calipers.
Powder Funnel
Large red complete bin
Hornady Lock-N-Load Powder Measure Drain Insert
Hornady One Shot Cleaner Lube
Hornady Small primer tubes
Dillion Large primer tubes
RCBS primer flip tray
RCBS Bullet puller
Frankford Arsenal Digital Scale
L..E.Wilson .45 ACP and .380 ACP cartridge gauge
Graphite powder for anti static in powder tube drop,funnel,etc.
1/8” diameter hardwood dowel used for large primers
Reloading manuals (Lyman,Loadbooks and Hornday)
Metal Cabinet for components
Configurable lock and hasp for metal cabinet
Magnetic to use while sorting brass/steel
Long forceps for cleaning out powder measure and running a dryer sheet down inside
Plastic bins for components storage
T-Handle hex drivers
Magnifier glass
Reloading notebook/log book
Avery labels (#18163) for ammo boxes (have plenty of empty's)
Door lock to secure room
One Brick

My die setup configuration:
Station 1: Size & De-prime
Station 1.5 Primer installation push
Station 2: Expander
Station 3: LNL Powder Drop w/micrometer
Station 4: RCBS Powder Checker
Station 5: Seating & Taper Crimping

Components:
1 lb HODGDON TITEGROUP
HORNADY 45 CAL .451 230 GR FMJ-RN
Initial seeding of once fired cleaned brass

Future purchases:
Chronograph
Tumbler

Don't seem to be a fan of:

Suggestions?

yeah yeah you and your new phancySmancy neat clean set up [shocked] Really nice set up, good solution to your lag bolt set up...... my dinkydarkdirty set up aint worth pics.... I started with shotgun reloading.... C clamped to dinner table...... thats a secret though.

yeah yeah you and your new phancySmancy neat clean set up [shocked] Really nice set up, good solution to your lag bolt set up...... my dinkydarkdirty set up aint worth pics.... I started with shotgun reloading.... C clamped to dinner table...... thats a secret though.

Thanks. I guess I should have taken a before picture of the room. Without going into to much detail, it was a real mess. I really didn't have any other location that I could secure for reloading. My only choice was to rip apart the room and clean it out. That is when one thing led to another and it kinda got into a neat freak OCD thing.....[grin]

Nice setup, I like the chair too. I tried to reload sitting down but found I couldn't get the leverage/consistent motion needed especially during depriming/sizing- mainly with 9mm. 357 mag brass seems to deprime/size easier than 9mm for some reason. I have the same press and that hornady LED light kit but I haven't set it up yet. There's a fluorescent light above my reloading bench which provides a good amount of light to see inside the cases.

Also I bought the PTX inserts for 9mm and 357 mag to free up a station so I could use the RCBS lockout die. But I soon realized I like to expand, seat, and crimp in separate stations rather than mess with the insert and bracket to expand and drop powder.

Dude one of your primer pickup tubes is crooked in the drawer. You need to get that straightened out ASAP.

Just kidding, nice setup. And well organized. :)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

Well thought out for sure. My only suggestion would be a "drip" edge to keep things from rolling off of the bench.
Also, compressed air to clean the shell plate area and primer feed.

Have you checked the pad to see if static is an issue? My apologies if I missed it.
I did spill some graphite powder on it and there did not appear to be any static issues. The bottom is a "velour base" so it doesn't slip, but the top is vinyl. [wink]

Dude one of your primer pickup tubes is crooked in the drawer. You need to get that straightened out ASAP.
Just kidding, nice setup. And well organized. :)
I ran right down there and measured and low and behold you ARE 100% correct. It has been straightened out. Thanks! There is more than one use for a micrometer....

But where is the beer fridge?

I was standing on it while taking the pictures.

Well thought out for sure. My only suggestion would be a "drip" edge to keep things from rolling off of the bench. Also, compressed air to clean the shell plate area and primer feed.

The drip edge is good idea. Going to have work something up for that. Thanks. Oh, compressed air is on the shelf above the press. Boy does that come in handy......

thanks all

Last edited:
NICE table and set up. I want to see what it looks like in a year or two. LOL!

^^this.

"the best laid plans of mice and men"

you always have these ideas of grandeur, that you'll always be super organized...then you get a deal on another press, or a ton of primers...or powder, and next thing you know you quickly run out of places to put stuff

and you end up having a bench that looks like mine

20141011_164105_zpsb09d5ce2.jpg

Needs a shinier finish on the top. [grin]

I was going for the bowling alley look..... I really just took a quick palm sander to the wood pieces with some very fine sandpaper and tack clothed it before assembly. Had some poly left over from another project and used that. I'd say all total, maybe an extra hour or so extra time not counting drying in between coats.

Back
Top Bottom