• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Releasing a wolf from a "Foot Hold" Trap

Yeah, ok. Step in one barefoot and spend the night trying to wiggle free and then report back on how you weren't injured.
Your foot will not fit in that trap. Even bare foot. I have had my hands caught in a Number 4 beaver trap, hurt yes, but no injuries. So please refrain from making statements on something you know nothing about. Oh, Something else, I have over 45 years experience as a trapper. I have taught trapping and was the Mass. Environmental Police expert on trapping. I still trap as a professional trapper doing animal damage control work here in New Hampshire. I am on the Board of Directors of the New Hampshire Trapper Assoc. and the National Trappers Assoc.

What are your Bonafides?

Last edited:
Ok, go get a trap your foot will fit in, step in it, spend the night desperately trying to get out of it without using your hands and let us know how your non injured foot feels. And please refrain from telling me to refrain.

Ok, go get a trap your foot will fit in, step in it, spend the night desperately trying to get out of it without using your hands and let us know how your non injured foot feels. And please refrain from telling me to refrain.
Your level of intelligence is quite obvious.

Your level of intelligence is quite obvious.
I'm with him. I've seen plenty of coyote have their foot get seriously f***** up because of foothold traps. Unable to walk on them after release kind of f***** up . I've also seen animals chew through their own appendages to escape the hold of the trap. To say that they never harm the animal is just complete bullshit.

I understand you have a specific vested interest and a point of view you are trying to protect and defend. But you make yourself look that much worse when you lie about it. To say that these traps do not harm is bullshit. That's the very reason 10+ states have banned them.

I'm with him. I've seen plenty of coyote have their foot get seriously f***** up because of foothold traps. Unable to walk on them after release kind of f***** up . I've also seen animals chew through their own appendages to escape the hold of the trap. To say that they never harm the animal is just complete bullshit.

I understand you have a specific vested interest and a point of view you are trying to protect and defend. But you make yourself look that much worse when you lie about it. To say that these traps do not harm is bullshit. That's the very reason 10+ states have banned them.
Well, that video shows that just the opposite of what you claim. All the states that banned them was done by emotion and not fact. Then again you still live in Mas$holechusetts. Also, if you check I believe that all those states, then ban was done by referendum where the unknowing vote by emotion and not fact.

Last edited:
Best practice trapping methods of course are not absolutes, and examples of the contrary can be found. I caught a raccoon in a cage trap, which I will never use again due to the stress the animal exhibited.

Well, that video shows that just the opposite of what you claim. All the states that banned them was done by emotion and not fact. Then again you still live in Mas$holechusetts. Also, if you check I believe that all those states, then ban was done by referendum where the unknowing vote by emotion and not fact.

1 video, precisely chosen, to advance your viewpoint, does not make it a fact of life. A couple of minutes online can find plenty of examples of leghold traps f***ing up animals. So don't come at me with "my video is the law" bull shit. You have one example, precisely chosen by you, because it shows the outcome you want. That doesn't prove or disprove a damned thing, other than your own bias.

Best practice trapping methods of course are not absolutes, and examples of the contrary can be found. I caught a raccoon in a cage trap, which I will never use again due to the stress the animal exhibited.
You are right about cage traps, I had a raccoon caught in a cage trap that was ripping wire fencing on a chicken pen and the only effective tool was a cage trap. The raccoon fought the trap and twisted it. But the job had to be done to protect the livestock. I would have liked to use a foot hold but the people had cats that roaming around the property.

Last edited:
Your foot will not fit in that trap. Even bare foot. I have had my hands caught in a Number 4 beaver trap, hurt yes, but no injuries. So please refrain from making statements on something you know nothing about. Oh, Something else, I have over 45 years experience as a trapper. I have taught trapping and was the Mass. Environmental Police expert on trapping. I still trap as a professional trapper doing animal damage control work here in New Hampshire. I am on the Board of Directors of the New Hampshire Trapper Assoc. and the National Trappers Assoc.

What are your Bonafides?
Oh, well if you work for the government then that's different. As everyone knows the government never hires dipshits. You must be correct and I must be wrong. My bad.

Oh, well if you work for the government then that's different. As everyone knows the government never hires dipshits. You must be correct and I must be wrong. My bad.
No. I retired 13 years ago this coming January. Yes, you are wrong as I don't expect much from emotional people.

Snap one closed on your wrist and I'll be sold on the idea. I admit I have no personal experience to know either way.

Snap one closed on your wrist and I'll be sold on the idea. I admit I have no personal experience to know either way.
I have, more than once. In fact during my demos I would put my hand in a number 2 Coilspring trap and moved my fingers around just to show what the trap doesn't do. In the trapping business getting fingers and hands caught goes with the territory. You know what hurts the most? The large wood based Rat Trap. The wire on that trap does not have a large bearing surface.

Last edited:
I trapped in my younger days as did several of my family members, and enough to know what a proper leg hold trap will do to an animal trapped in it overnight if not for a full day or two before the line is checked. A decent #5 for wolves can break bones on smaller animals like a fox, bobcat, or lynx. Might not break your hand but it could break a finger if that's all it snaps shut on. Even a #1 hurts like F if you are dumb enough to get caught in one. If a trap is strong enough to hold an animal's leg while it yanks and twists with all its might, it's strong enough to cause injury in the process of the animal fighting it. I never used 'soft jaws' or those dumb rubber covers, but I can't imagine they'd hold a wolf and are out of consideration for the sake of this argument.

I am 100% OK with trapping though I no longer have the need or interest to do so. Might a wolf walk away injury-free from a leg hold trap? Maybe? Maybe not. I do think it's kinda dumb to argue a trap is not harmful to any animal you are going to kill for its pelt or food. Also I think it is just as much nonsense to argue that leg hold traps are a non-harmful means to catch as it would be for me to argue that my #6 shot shells were a non-harmful way to get a closer look at those two pheasants I dropped on Thursday. After all, sometimes hunters shoot at pheasants and they get away, so therefore the shot is non-harmful. [rofl]

Somebody start drinking early today? Guess it's time for me to start catching up.

I have, more than once. In fact during my demos I would put my hand in a number 2 Coilspring trap and moved my fingers around just to show what the trap doesn't do. In the trapping business getting fingers and hands caught goes with the territory. You know what hurts the most? The large wood based Rat Trap. The wire on that trap does not have a large bearing surface.
OK, let's see the video of a hand in a MB 750 chained to a tree while you pull, twist, jerk, and jump with all your strength for 24 hours straight. Again, if you need or want to legally trap animals I'm good with that- but I don't buy into the non-harmful logic and quite frankly don't see the need to buy into it.

OK, let's see the video of a hand in a MB 750 chained to a tree while you pull, twist, jerk, and jump with all your strength for 24 hours straight. Again, if you need or want to legally trap animals I'm good with that- but I don't buy into the non-harmful logic and quite frankly don't see the need to buy into it.
Now, Who would be foolish enough to intentionally allow themselves to remain in a Trap of any kind? Such a stupid comment, but I see that emotions overrule common sense,
Further thinking about that comment, this is the same type of statements that the animal rights folks use after claiming that they "Used To" hunt and trap.

Last edited:
Now, Who would be foolish enough to intentionally allow themselves to remain in a Trap of any kind? Such a stupid comment, but I see that emotions overrule common sense,
Further thinking about that comment, this is the same type of statements that the animal rights folks use after claiming that they "Used To" hunt and trap.
"Now, Who would be foolish enough to intentionally allow themselves to remain in a Trap of any kind? Such a stupid comment"

OK...

"In fact during my demos I would put my hand in a number 2 Coilspring trap"

Also, letting #2 jaws gently close on and hold your hand is no equivalent to a trap slamming shut on something at full speed.

Yep, you got me. I'm being an emotional animal rights nut and in fact I'm a card carrying member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) [laugh]. Again, I am pro hunting, pro trapping. What I am against is the 'logic' of trying to win liberal hearts and minds by saying "Watch this trap not hurt the wolf". I would not waste time on those folks, and trying to convince them that spring traps are harmless is a waste of time and effort that would be better spent promoting the benefits of managed wildlife populations. Why not post stuff like this if you want to protect trapping rights:

During the late 1980s, a national animal rights group developed a "model" for getting trapping ban initiatives passed by town, county and state governments. The model guidelines encouraged animal rights activists to disguise regulated trapping as a public safety/animal welfare issue. Exactly in accordance with such direction, an article to ban trapping was introduced at a Chelmsford town meeting in 1988.

State wildlife experts reminded residents that regulated trapping was not a public safety issue, and warned that if regulated trapping were banned, there would be numerous undesirable consequences in the form of property damage and wildlife habitat degradation. Despite the warnings, the article was passed, and the trapping of furbearing mammals within the town was prohibited.

Prior to passage of the trapping ban, there were usually one to three complaints of beaver damage in the town each year. Following the ban, the beaver population, unchecked, began to grow rapidly, and the animals began to move into many previously unoccupied wetlands. Beaver dams began to flood houses and roadways. In 1992, state wildlife biologists working at the request of town officials investigated 25 beaver complaint sites. Two of these complaint sites were municipal wells which had been shut down (at a cost of $25,000) because of beaver flooding, and four other municipal wells were threatened. Individual landowners in town had incurred tens of thousands of dollars in damages to private wells, septic systems, lawns and roadways. The increasing beaver population and increasing property damage were directly related to the decision of the town's citizens to ban regulated trapping and allow uncontrolled beaver population growth to commence.

Benefits of Trapping

No, you are not alone in your opinion on the matter:

I still don't subscribe to wasting time trying to influence liberals, and can you honestly say that you have never checked a trap from which an animal has chewed itself free or at least a predator has taken advantage of an easy meal? These things happen and I could care less if they get liberal panties in a wad.

Shoot the damn wolf, it’s an out yourself thread for hand wringing liberal crying pussies. We’ve got a few DemocRATS IN THE WIRE GUYS !

Last edited:
"Now, Who would be foolish enough to intentionally allow themselves to remain in a Trap of any kind? Such a stupid comment"

OK...

"In fact during my demos I would put my hand in a number 2 Coilspring trap"

Also, letting #2 jaws gently close on and hold your hand is no equivalent to a trap slamming shut on something at full speed.

Yep, you got me. I'm being an emotional animal rights nut and in fact I'm a card carrying member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) [laugh]. Again, I am pro hunting, pro trapping. What I am against is the 'logic' of trying to win liberal hearts and minds by saying "Watch this trap not hurt the wolf". I would not waste time on those folks, and trying to convince them that spring traps are harmless is a waste of time and effort that would be better spent promoting the benefits of managed wildlife populations. Why not post stuff like this if you want to protect trapping rights:

During the late 1980s, a national animal rights group developed a "model" for getting trapping ban initiatives passed by town, county and state governments. The model guidelines encouraged animal rights activists to disguise regulated trapping as a public safety/animal welfare issue. Exactly in accordance with such direction, an article to ban trapping was introduced at a Chelmsford town meeting in 1988.

State wildlife experts reminded residents that regulated trapping was not a public safety issue, and warned that if regulated trapping were banned, there would be numerous undesirable consequences in the form of property damage and wildlife habitat degradation. Despite the warnings, the article was passed, and the trapping of furbearing mammals within the town was prohibited.

Prior to passage of the trapping ban, there were usually one to three complaints of beaver damage in the town each year. Following the ban, the beaver population, unchecked, began to grow rapidly, and the animals began to move into many previously unoccupied wetlands. Beaver dams began to flood houses and roadways. In 1992, state wildlife biologists working at the request of town officials investigated 25 beaver complaint sites. Two of these complaint sites were municipal wells which had been shut down (at a cost of $25,000) because of beaver flooding, and four other municipal wells were threatened. Individual landowners in town had incurred tens of thousands of dollars in damages to private wells, septic systems, lawns and roadways. The increasing beaver population and increasing property damage were directly related to the decision of the town's citizens to ban regulated trapping and allow uncontrolled beaver population growth to commence.

Benefits of Trapping

No, you are not alone in your opinion on the matter:

I still don't subscribe to wasting time trying to influence liberals, and can you honestly say that you have never checked a trap from which an animal has chewed itself free or at least a predator has taken advantage of an easy meal? These things happen and I could care less if they get liberal panties in a wad.

I have never had a land-dwelling animal chew its foot off, I have had muskrats "ring off" when caught by only the front paw. Now as to the Chelmsford issue, I am well aware of it. That by law was passed because the Conservation Commission was pissed off that the EPO that lived that town was a trapper (ME) I had confronted the Chairman of the Con Com about breaking beaver dams which he had no authority to do, and the game was on. As to the predator getting an easy meal, both times that happen, it was a mink that ate part of a muskrat that was in a trap. I caught the mink in both places that next night. Oh, Another thing about the Chelmsford Debacle. I was the person that was able to bring in ten trappers into town to take on the beaver problems when the by law was repealed. It took us two years to get a handle on the problem. I had beaver that the pelts were scarred due the fighting because of the over population. What would have been high end blankets were graded as damaged.

Last edited:
You are right about cage traps, I had a raccoon caught in a cage trap that was ripping wire fencing on a chicken pen and the only effective tool was a cage trap. The raccoon fought the trap and twisted it. But the job had to be done to protect the livestock. I would have liked to use a foot hold but the people had cats that roaming around the property.

Says leg hold traps don't harm animals... In the same post says had to trap using a cage because the leg hold could harm neighborhood cats...

Did you study how to talk out of both sides of your mouth from John Kerry? Seriously, it takes skill to contradict ones self so blatantly in such a short post. Bit of advice. Take the L and move on. Don't dig the hole any deeper. You're not winning this one.

Says leg hold traps don't harm animals... In the same post says had to trap using a cage because the leg hold could harm neighborhood cats...

Did you study how to talk out of both sides of your mouth from John Kerry? Seriously, it takes skill to contradict ones self so blatantly in such a short post. Bit of advice. Take the L and move on. Don't dig the hole any deeper. You're not winning this one.
No, I wasn't concerned about the cats, I was concerned about the client, who was concerned about the cats and asked what were the tools that I had available.

Back
Top Bottom