1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Reilly's running mate

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Admin, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Admin

Admin Staff Member Administrator Moderator NES Member

2. mark056

mark056 NES Member

Well...it was a good move on Reilly's part, I have to admit. Given the number of legal immigrints who live in Mass who are citizens, and Reilly is really playing the "I was a poor boy growing up" theme, this is a good combination to appeal across a wide spectrum of demographic strata.

Healy will be vilified as one of the heartless rich who lives on the North Shore and is totally lacking in compassion.

I know that I am a pessimist by nature, but for those of you who are fiscally and physically able, now is the time to begin contemplating a Mass exodus if owning firearms is one of your top priorities. It will be almost a year before the gang of three (you have to factor in the new AG) will be sworn in, so you have time to develop a Plan B.

I sure hope that I am wrong about this. If there ever was an election about preserving your gun rights (whatever few you have left) this is an election to take action. The big problem is that the Republicans have to realize that gun owners are supporting the GOP and they have to be more than neutral or luke-warm when it comes to gun-control, and frankly I am not sure that Healy gets it. I am concerned that her CJ degrees may put her in the anti-gun camp. Please remember that for many people (such as myself) gun rights are neither a conservative nor a liberal, nor a Republican nor Democrat issue. There are Democrats who favor gun owners and there are Republicans who favor gun control and certainly not all conservatives support gun rights either, especially those residing in the Northeast.

This election, I am willing to put a whole lot of other issues aside to ensure that pro-gun candidates will be elected.

Mark

3. KMaurer

KMaurer Moderator NES Member

Last time I checked, illegal immigrants are, by definition, not citizens. Of course, that doesn't stop a lot of them from registering to vote. A friend of mine was the town clerk and another friend is a voter registrar. According to them, Massachusetts law actually prohibits clerks or registrars from rejecting any voter registration, even if they know for a fact that the person is not a legal resident of the city or town or not a citizen. The only time anybody can do anything is to challenge them when they show up to vote. At that time they're allowed to vote, but the ballot segregated from the other ballots until the legality of their registration is determined. The Mass clerks organization (I don't know the actual name) has been trying for some time to get the law changed, but without any success.

Ken

4. mark056

mark056 NES Member

Ken,

Please look at my quote. I was referring to LEGAL immigrants who have been naturalized of whom there are many who reside in Mass and who will relate to the Lt Gov candidate and vote for her.

You bring up an interesting point, though, and that is just how many ILLEGAL immgrants vote in our elections here. I can envision a scenario out of the days of James Curley where illegal immigrants are rounded up given ten dollars and sent to the polling places. Although that is a political tactic from another time and place, it wouldn't surprise me if it still happens in selected precints.

Mark

5. KMaurer

KMaurer Moderator NES Member

Sorry 'bout that, Mark. I misread your post as saying "illegal". As to the organized gathering of votes from illegal alieans, it tends to happen quite often in areas where there are enough of them to make a real difference. It almost certainly tipped at least one congressional election in southern California a few years back.

Ken

6. Weerd Beard

Weerd Beard

Still Legal Imigrants voting for polititions who pander to illigal immigrants is like one of us voting for the rights of Drug addicts and gang-bangers right to keep and bear.

We play by the rules, so we have no sympathy to the jerks who disreguard them.

Same with our Newer citizens!

"God Bless 'em Dress 'em and Shave 'em!"

-Shean McGowan

Arrr

-Weer'd

7. Emoto

Emoto

I believe she also bought herself a new car out of campaign funds and was busted for it. I think she had to pay a fine. So, at best she is "ethically challenged", I leave the "at worst" part as an exercise for the reader...