• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reid implies sequester to blame for Marine deaths

The US Army puzzles me. When I was on active duty at Fort Bragg in 1967 I trained on mortars and was surprised to find that, while there was practice ammo (no explosives or very little to mark point of impact) available for the 81 mm mortar, there was only live ammo available for the 60 mm.

Forty years later the troops are still practicing with live ammo in the 60. Why? Seems to me that those Marnes would still be alive if they were using practice ammo.

These men and women, our Marines were training there in Hawthorne. And with this sequester, it's going to cut back this stuff.

Now, I agree, it was total political posturing and he should be ashamed of himself. Rather than using the press conference announcing their deaths to reflect on a somber moment and remind us all of the sacrifices of those men and women who serve, he used their deaths as a soap box to get in a few political jabs and showcase "his" accomplishments and that is shameful and he should apologize to those men and women and their families. But he didn't actually direct blame at sequester. Actually, he implied that sequester might save lives from training accidents by reducing training.

Nobody needs a mortar, couple of blasts from a double barrel shotgun and the enemy will surrender.

Back
Top Bottom