• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rehab and LTC?

NES Member
I was wondering is it a disqualifier for you to have an LTC if you have been to rehab? I know someone who would like to obtain their license.They live in the South Shore town that appears to be green. They went to rehab about 10 years ago voluntarily for a week. With no convictions.

I was wondering is it a disqualifier for you to have an LTC if you have been to rehab? I know someone who would like to obtain their license.They live in the South Shore town that appears to be green. They went to rehab about 10 years ago voluntarily for a week. With no convictions.
There was a couple of driving infractions. I looked them up. None of them had a maximum penalty of more than 2 years. There was also no conviction.

There was a couple of driving infractions. I looked them up. None of them had a maximum penalty of more than 2 years. There was also no conviction.
It is important to be certain these are infractions rather than criminal offenses. If they are criminal offenses, failure to disclose on the application => rejection.

Your statement sounds like their is more to the story. Was this a go there voluntarily or go to jail?

Voluntary commitment, which is what rehab is classified as, can be a 5 year no go. Varies somewhat. Isn't there a question on the 4473 about voluntary commitment in the last 5 years?
In MA, I'd be shocked if it wasn't an issue in MA given that just walking into a dispensary gets one banned in MA.

Personal Recognizance Dept.​

The process does not occur in a vacuum.

Were any tickets in the town where's he's applying for an LTC?

He's not gonna have a good time going with "Don't Ask/Don't Tell"
if one of the cops that gave him a ticket while he was "tired and emotional"
spots him filing his application, then asks the Licensing Officer what's up.

Question to those with a clue:
what's the likely price tag on a meetup with
one of the good Mass gun lawyers
before filing the application?

Last edited:

No, long as everyone keeps their mouth shut about it, it could be a suitability issue, but only if "they" found out. Voluntary (eg, like self-admission, etc, which for substance abuse issues is most people) type of treatment for stuff like that is not a DQ under the law.

Voluntary commitment, which is what rehab is classified as, can be a 5 year no go. Varies somewhat. Isn't there a question on the 4473 about voluntary commitment in the last 5 years?
In MA, I'd be shocked if it wasn't an issue in MA given that just walking into a dispensary gets one banned in MA.

tuckerno.jpg

No, and,
Tucker Says: "No, it's not. "
oh and NO, to the third thing too. You're 0 for 3 today. [rofl]

Question to those with a clue:​
what's the likely price tag on a meetup with
one of the good Mass gun lawyers
before filing the application?

This, though, too. If the OPs friend "has trouble tying his own shoes" , let's say, he needs to talk to an attorney rather than f*** himself up. I'll just leave it at that.

It's much cheaper to fix/deal with any perceived problems going in than after a denial, etc.

Your friend is GTG unless he decides to "talk himself out of his LTC"
Tell your friend to put a muzzle on his pie hole. The less the chief and LO are aware of, the better.
"Voluntary" is NOT a DQ. However, if he discloses (NOT required on the application), then he's opened a can of worms and likely will be either denied or have provide a ton of paperwork (which will be on his "permanent record" at that PD).

Don't answer anything that isn't required on the application, period!

This, though, too. If the OPs friend "has trouble tying his own shoes" , let's say, he needs to talk to an attorney rather than f*** himself up. I'll just leave it at that.

It's much cheaper to fix/deal with any perceived problems going in than after a denial, etc.
If said lawyer is named Jesse, you spelled Jason wrong.

I would think 90% of this depends on how much of a dick the chief is in the town the license is applied in.

One of my brothers, who lives in central mass for some reason, has been ‘voluntarily’ to rehab for booze two times. Voluntarily due to family sending him there, or else. Police were involved one time, no Charges filed. He still has a mass LTC, etc. He is a veteran with an honorable discharge so that MAY or may not be a factor in the equation. I can’t comment on the last time he’s filled out a 4473, but I would assume it was prior to this downspiral ☹️

Thanks guys I'll pass on the information. It seems like the general consensus is keep your mouth shut! That's what I initially thought. Then I started second-guessing myself. But it makes sense don't divulge any more information than necessary. Im glad I asked NES.

"Voluntary" is NOT a DQ. However, if he discloses (NOT required on the application), then he's opened a can of worms and likely will be either denied or have provide a ton of paperwork (which will be on his "permanent record" at that PD).

Don't answer anything that isn't required on the application, period!

This is a time to use the NAVY motto “Never again volunteer yourself”.

It really only takes a moment to check rather than post speculation..

The question is "Have you been adjudicated a mental defective or committed to a mental institution". ATF published opinions have indicated that a short term "evaluation commitment" does not trigger the requirement of a YES to this question.

I've never heard of this. Details and verifiable source please.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom