• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Regulations for hunting small game with .22 rifle?

I'm planning on going hunting with a .22 rifle for squirrel and other small game in the 2nd half of December. I was wondering what specific regulations there are, though.

I've taken the hunter education course and I'm parsing through the specific laws about using a .22 rifle. Besides not interfering with the shotgun deer season, are there any other key regulations? Are they summed up anywhere?

Thanks

I'm planning on going hunting with a .22 rifle for squirrel and other small game in the 2nd half of December. I was wondering what specific regulations there are, though.

I've taken the hunter education course and I'm parsing through the specific laws about using a .22 rifle. Besides not interfering with the shotgun deer season, are there any other key regulations? Are they summed up anywhere?

Thanks

5 round max capacity for a non tubular magazine (not including having on in the chamber) and I think thats pretty much it for Mass. On a side note the smallest deer caliber you can use in Maine is a .22 magnum. Just thought I would let you know because you mentioned deer season and .22's. Best of luck. I plan on hunting coyotes with my .22 this year.

A couple posts here interested me so I tried to look it up. (With the impression that I knew the arbitrary law written by god knows who.)

From the MA wildlife site

Hunting with Rifles

It is lawful to hunt birds and mammals in Massachusetts with a rifle of any caliber and with a magazine capacity of any size, EXCEPT:

1. The hunting of deer with a rifle is PROHIBITED except for the use of shotguns and primitive firearms (muzzleloaders) with a rifled bore.

2. The hunting of wild turkey with a rifle is PROHIBITED.

3. The hunting of migratory game birds with a rifle is PROHIBITED.

4. The hunting of gray squirrel with a rifle is PROHIBITED in wildlife management zones 10 through 14.

5. The only rifles lawful for hunting black bear are those chambered .23 caliber and larger; or muzzle-loading rifles .44 to .775 caliber, fired from the shoulder, using a single projectile.

6. On Wildlife Management Areas stocked with pheasant or quail, during the pheasant and quail seasons, rifles of any caliber are PROHIBITED, except for the use of rifles chambered not larger than .22 long rifle ammunition for the hunting of raccoon and opossum between the hours of 9:00 P.M. to 3:00 A.M.

7. During the period from ½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise, the use or possession of any rifle chambered to take larger than .22 long rifle ammunition is PROHIBITED.

8. Refer to the summary of the requirements relative to primitive ("muzzle-loading") firearms for more information relative to hunting with those implements.

9. NOTE: some cities or towns (e.g. Amherst) may have ordinances or bylaws prohibiting the discharge of rifles (but allowing the discharge of shotguns).

10. Check the firearms statutes pursuant to M.G.L. c. 140 and c. 269 for laws affecting the possession, carrying, and use of "large capacity" rifles and feeding devices.

This is not the complete law and is subject to change. Refer to provisions of M.G.L. c. 131, §§ 4, 67 and 70, and to several provision of the Code of Massachusetts Regulations, 321 CMR.

I believe deer hunting's limited to 5 shells, and upland/ foul 3?

Go figure that in PA you can't use semi autos (pretty sure.) The madness!! [shocked]

AFAIK, there is no magazine restriction for shotugn, WRT deer hunting, though a large-capacity autoloader "needs" an LTC, as opposed to an FID being OK for a pumpgun.

There is no magazine capacity restriction for upland birds, but it is three rounds in total for waterfowl.

As to a tricked-out tacticool shottie for Bambi.....if you need that many shots, you're doing it wrong.

One shot, one deer; two shots, maybe one deer; three shots, no deer.

The abstracts can be complicated. The old style were better, you could keep a copy with you while hunting. Many EPOs don't have a clue about the fish and game laws. Better that you have somewhat of an understanding of them yourself.

NO mag limit at all in MA except for waterfowl.

Here is a link to Plain Language Summaries posted on MassWildlife: http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/plain_language/plain_language.htm

Some good reading, although I cannot find legal reference to turkey calling info.

Directly from link:

You will be mostly interested in 4,6 and 7

Note that in re #7: What is "larger" than a .22 long rifle? Physical size, caliber, power? 3 EPOs have given 3 separate answers. My local EPO that I see most often said he would allow a .30-06 at night for coyote (I still wouldn't try it).
It is lawful to hunt birds and mammals in Massachusetts with a rifle of any caliber and with a magazine capacity of any size, EXCEPT:
1. The hunting of deer with a rifle is PROHIBITED except for the use of shotguns and primitive firearms (muzzleloaders) with a rifled bore.
2. The hunting of wild turkey with a rifle is PROHIBITED.
3. The hunting of migratory game birds with a rifle is PROHIBITED.
4. The hunting of gray squirrel with a rifle is PROHIBITED in wildlife management zones 10 through 14.
5. The only rifles lawful for hunting black bear are those chambered .23 caliber and larger; or muzzle-loading rifles .44 to .775 caliber, fired from the shoulder, using a single projectile.
6. On Wildlife Management Areas stocked with pheasant or quail, during the pheasant and quail seasons, rifles of any caliber are PROHIBITED, except for the use of rifles chambered not larger than .22 long rifle ammunition for the hunting of raccoon and opossum between the hours of 9:00 P.M. to 3:00 A.M.
7. During the period from ½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise, the use or possession of any rifle chambered to take larger than .22 long rifle ammunition is PROHIBITED.
8. Refer to the summary of the requirements relative to primitive ("muzzle-loading") firearms for more information relative to hunting with those implements.
9. NOTE: some cities or towns (e.g. Amherst) may have ordinances or bylaws prohibiting the discharge of rifles (but allowing the discharge of shotguns).
10. Check the firearms statutes pursuant to M.G.L. c. 140 and c. 269 for laws affecting the possession, carrying, and use of "large capacity" rifles and feeding devices.
This is not the complete law and is subject to change. Refer to provisions of M.G.L. c. 131, §§ 4, 67 and 70, and to several provision of the Code of Massachusetts Regulations, 321 CMR.

Note that in re #7: What is "larger" than a .22 long rifle? Physical size, caliber, power? 3 EPOs have given 3 separate answers. My local EPO that I see most often said he would allow a .30-06 at night for coyote (I still wouldn't try it).

I agree on the 'what is larger' question. My interpretation would be anything with larger dimensions, which would make a 22hornet prohibited and a 17 hmr legal for before and after sunset. But you can use a 45-70 for coyote during the day.[rolleyes]

Rather than listing exceptions, the should just list the very limited allowed center fire uses and calibers.

But all that said, IMO the regs are a breeze compared to, for ex, South Carolina's.

The laws are a mess.

When I took the Hunter Ed Instructor's course, I pointed out that the language about allowable firearms was nonsensical:

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/plain_language/hunting_handguns.htm

They use caliber and "chambering" interchangably -

7. During the period from ½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise, the use or possession of any pistol or revolver chambered to take larger than .38 caliber ammunition is PROHIBITED.

So....a .357 Maximum, or a Contender chambered for .30-30 would be lawful.....as they're smaller than .38 caliber

[laugh][rolleyes]

The instructors agreed that it was poorly written.

I believe a .17 hmr is physically larger than a .22 lr. Caliber is smaller, bullet mass is less, but case is larger. Same with .204 rifles. One EPO said a .223 was ok because same bullet diamete (caliber) but by SAAMI specs, the .22 lr is 2-3 thousandths smaller than the .223.

The question about the .38/.357 came up also. The EPO in question stated that the regs "meant" .38 Special. I kindly informed him that a .38 has a nominal measurement of .357. He then shrugged and brought up the power factor, but it states "chambered". That's why I bought and carry a 9mm. I can carry it at night if I am coyote hunting.

More ways for the government to turn us into criminals:/

Best is to send an inqury to Mass Dept. of Fish and Game via email, print and carry the reply.

I'll buy a beer for the first person to get a binding answer that will protect one in the field.

The EPO may "know" what the law was suppposed to mean, but that's not what the black-text law says. I don't think that "power factor" appears in the laws, or the Abstracts.

The above being said, IANAL, YMMV, and all that.

Agreed! That's why I recommend an email to Mass DFG. A phone call or verbal doesn't cut it. Trusting an EPO to know the law is like trusting any other LEO, and we know how well that goes:/

I just sent an email off to Mass DFG. I will post any answer I get here along with the original inquiry. I asked for clarification on rifle and handgun.

Well, I got a return email the following morning. Upon reading the regs again, they may have changed them at some point, but I only had copies back to 2008. I thought they used to just say "rifles larger than .22 LR" but they do say "rifles chambered to take larger than .22 LR". Basically just a .22 bb cap, cb cap, short, long or long rifle is legal overnight. I can post the complete emails if anyone would like. The answer specifically stated that the .17 may not be used.

The answer specifically stated that the .17 may not be used.
Thanks for this really. This is news to me.
The 22lr is the best ricochet bullet around. 1. They should spell it out, and 2. They should've selected faster rounds and said specifically 17hmr, 17 and 22 hornet up to and including 223 rem after dark.
That's nuts.

- - - Updated - - -

Posting the entire email - both your question, and the response would be good.

I'd like to know how .17 is larger than .22, though.

I understand the intent, but it's the way that it's worded that counts.

Oal is 1.3 something vs .985.
Agreed.

Here is my email:

I would like clarification on the regulation prohibiting:

•Rifles chambered to take ammunition larger than .22 caliber long
rifle rimfire,and pistols and revolvers chambered to take ammunition
larger than .38 caliber, between the hours of ½ hour after sunset and
½ hour before sunrise.

This is a direct quote from the Mass Fish and Wildlife "Guide to
Hunting, Freshwater Fishing and Trapping, 2012 edition". Regarding
hunting coyote at night, I have asked three different EPOs, and have
received three different answers. I have been told that a .223 is
legal by one EPO and that it is not legal by a different EPO. I have
been told by 2 of the three EPOs that a .17 HMR or a .204 Ruger is
legal. I have also been told by one EPO that a revolver chambered in
.38 Special IS legal while a revolver chambered in .357 Magnum is NOT.

What is considered "larger"?
1: Physical dimensions
2: Nominal caliber
3: Energy

For example:

The .17 HMR is a smaller nominal caliber, smaller bullet by weight,
larger physical dimension, and more energy than a typical 40 grain .22
long rifle.
The .204 Ruger has a larger physical dimension, uses generally the
same bullet weights as .22 LR, but has much more energy.
The .223 Remington is considered to be the same nominal caliber as .22
LR, but SAAMI specs list the .22 LR as .222-.224 and .223 Remington as
.223-.224.
The .357 Magnum is .357 caliber, but it is a larger case size than the
.38 special.
A Contender in .30-30 has much greater energy than any .38 handgun
that I am aware of.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

And here is the response:

Dear Dan,

In this case, the operative word is "chambered" larger than .22 caliber long rifle.... Instead of just going by caliber size, it's the size (physical dimension) of the chamber that matters. Your very precise and detailed explanation of various caliber sizes will now inform you of the correct answer. For instance, the .17 may not be used for instance because of the physical dimension being larger than the .22 LR

This is the only regulation that speaks to the size of a chamber, others just speak to caliber size etc, that's what can be confusing to people.

Sincerely,

Marion Larson, Information & Education

5 star post man. I think a lot of people who are new to or thinking about getting into hunting have these questions, definitely me.

Not to hijack the thread, but I was perusing the plain language page and came across this

(d) Mink, River Otter: the season opens on November 1 and continues until the following December 15;

Am I forgetting some grammar lessons, or does that say the season is longer than a year? if its only a month and half long, why not just say until December? then again I am reading MA hunting laws at 2:30 in the morning, hardly an easy feat even when I'm wide awake.

Back
Top Bottom