• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Registering surplus/auction HMMWV?

Has anyone registered a surplus HMMWV or other vehicle? I know MA requires a title but other states do not. I know in ME and RI (pre 2001) vehicles only need certified bill of sale. I also know there are titling services that can get you a title in another state and send it to you (so I heard) but it requires you to basically sell it to them and then they sell it back. Cost is in the $1k range I hear.

This unit is a 1991. I live in MA but own a building in RI as well.

Looking for tips/advice.

Thanks

Call RI DMV or just go down to the nearest ones to you, which would be Woonsocket, Warren, or Middletown. I believe that newly sold surplus Hummers have off road use only titles given to the buyers, so no state can register them.

In RI, to register an older car, you basically need a bill of sale with the make, model, sale price, VIN, date, and signatures. Can be written on notebook paper or typed or however, as long as its legible and everything makes sense. Also need some proof of prior ownership like the old registration (Hummers don't have that, I believe). You also need to be an RI resident/RI driver's license.

Hmmwv are not Street legal, they do not meet emissions standards. If you plan to drive it on the street that is. Check your local laws

I have not received or technically paid for it yet but won the auction. They stated a title would not be available and it would require mods to make street legal. When I called I was told that they would not send the certified bill of sale and Form 97 until after I take possession as some people back out and or never pick up. That made complete sense to me, but I started thinking and wanted that in writing before I send $. After I called back I wanted it in writing, was placed on hold and told they would only give me a certified bill of sale (ie no form 97). Sounds like I may not need it, but it made me feel much better to have it. I knew I would be spending say $5k to modify and improve it. Certain items like exhaust, windshield, seats, seat belts etc. we're expected as I am sure other minor improvements. I am fine with that. This is going to be a survey vehicle (we access some crazy sites) and a marketing tool for my company. I spoke directly with someone who works at the RI RMV (son of a friend) who stated as long as I had the bill of sale, and insurance forms I would be good to go. I still feel nervous about not having a form 97. I spoke with a rep at the MA RMV and after two hours was told by a supervisor that if I had both the bill and form 97 I would be good. However, the fact that it took two hours of people sending me up the chain at the MA RMV still made me nervous. Seemed like RI was an easier access to registration. Or I could go the title co route I hear. I am fine with the investment, just want to make sure the ultimate goal is achievable.

Edit. Yes the inspection report gave it three starts across the boards. Photos, videos and guaranteed inspection report all looked good.

http://www.dmv.ri.gov/documents/other/CPI_List.pdf

Check that link ^ Your vehicle may qualify as a "vehicle of interest" in RI since they just word the car as "Hummer." Basically it means you get taxed extra to register the vehicle. I used to own a Jaguar and it was a VOI.

Like I said, I would check with RI DMV just to be 100% positive. A branch may refer you to the DMV HQ in Cranston, so it may be best to go there first.

In RI, an inspection isn't required to register the vehicle. I think you have two weeks or 30 days, can't remember exactly. If you're driving after that point without an inspection, you'll get ticketed if pulled over and will have to have the vehicle inspected within a week or the reg is suspended.

If you own a building in RI, couldn't you register the vehicle with your company or yourself using the address of the building? That's beyond my knowledge since I don't own property/business interest.

http://www.dmv.ri.gov/documents/other/CPI_List.pdf Check that link ^ Your vehicle may qualify as a "vehicle of interest" in RI since they just word the car as "Hummer." Basically it means you get taxed extra to register the vehicle. I used to own a Jaguar and it was a VOI. Like I said, I would check with RI DMV just to be 100% positive. A branch may refer you to the DMV HQ in Cranston, so it may be best to go there first. In RI, an inspection isn't required to register the vehicle. I think you have two weeks or 30 days, can't remember exactly. If you're driving after that point without an inspection, you'll get ticketed if pulled over and will have to have the vehicle inspected within a week or the reg is suspended. If you own a building in RI, couldn't you register the vehicle with your company or yourself using the address of the building? That's beyond my knowledge since I don't own property/business interest.
Yes, I can register in RI as I have a building there. I have another truck for my staff I registered that way. The insurance co wants to know where it will be garaged primarily and that is supposed to be where you register it . One option is to get a sample copy of what they intend to provide, and go to the RI DMV to see if it is enough. The only issue I see is sometimes you don't want to call attention to these things. Meaning just show up and let it takes it course based upon what my contact stated I should be ok. Sometimes asking too many questions is a bad thing if they have not said no yet. It's a tough call given the money involved. I am going to get a copy of what they provide to review. I would love it if someone else has done this already.

I've owned many CUCV's like blazers and pickups. You should be able to apply for a title even in MA with a Gov. bill of sale. You will usually need a state cop to come and verify the info you have on the application form is correct. Once he signs it, you go back to the registry and they start the process. As long as the gov. doesn't give you a "not road worthy" bill of sale. Like you know, hummers are not road legal and until recently, were all being destroyed. Don't know what made them change their mind but I saw an auction for 400 hummers and they went for $60 each. You had to buy all 400, everyone had to have the motor removed and chemically destroyed, and you had to sell for scrap, showing the government your receipt! Good luck.

I don't know about it being street legal, but I routinely get called out to residences to do a "VIN verification".

Essentially, a person will buy a car from a state that doesn't issue titles. So when the new purchaser attempts to apply for a new title in MA in order to register the vehicle, the registry requires the VIN on the application be verified and signed off on by an LEO.

Get called for these all the time--just make sure you have the right RMV form.

I used to have an H1 Hummer (HMCS style based on the ambulance, as well as a few of the other models as well), and the people I knew that had genuine HMMWV had to trailer their trucks for offroad events that we went on. The ones that are for sale today on government surplus websites are for offered use only, not street legal. They were nice trucks, but not very comfortable and these days the Hummer thing has come and gone sadly, which is unfortunate because I was really quite a fan of the brand.

This is going to be a survey vehicle (we access some crazy sites) and a marketing tool for my company.

damm, all we had for survey vehicles was transit connect vans and a jeep liberty or two... and we managed to never get them TOO stuck a mile up powerline ROW. At least the new job has a suberban with 4 wheel drive.

Are you going to roof mount a lidar to it? Really scare the [tinfoil]....

I will title it for you, just drop it off in my driveway and for the year I will hold on to it and then at the required time, I will drop it off with a RI title. [smile]

I'll say it. HMMWVs and H1s suck. They really do.

They are slow as a turtle. They actually have very little room inside. The engine/transmission cover takes up a huge amount of the space, so the passenger seats are cramped and upright.

And then there is the cracked block problem with the 6.2l diesel. If you buy one with the 6.2l diesel and the engine has not been replaced, you will have to replace it. The blocks crack at the #8 cylinder. Every single one, due to a design defect. http://www.flashoffroad.com/Diesel/No8Cyl/CrackedBlock.htm

This will not be my daily drive. Its intended to get my survey guys (and me) down/up some gravel access roads etc. (think cell tower on tops of mountains/ski resorts). It would also be a marketing tool as lets face it, they get a lot of attention. Add my company logos and I be it will do more than ads in papers etc.

I am on the fence with this. Seems like a 50/50 shot from what I have been reading.

I don't know about it being street legal, but I routinely get called out to residences to do a "VIN verification".

Essentially, a person will buy a car from a state that doesn't issue titles. So when the new purchaser attempts to apply for a new title in MA in order to register the vehicle, the registry requires the VIN on the application be verified and signed off on by an LEO.

Get called for these all the time--just make sure you have the right RMV form.

When I bought my M109 from govliquidation, it just came with an SF-97. No title, just bill of sale. I registered it in MA without issue. This is a vehicle with a 6 digit VIN number, stamped into the frame, not something with a 'real' VIN number.

Hopefully the DMV will play ball and you can get plates and drive your HMMWV.

This will not be my daily drive. Its intended to get my survey guys (and me) down/up some gravel access roads etc. (think cell tower on tops of mountains/ski resorts). It would also be a marketing tool as lets face it, they get a lot of attention. Add my company logos and I be it will do more than ads in papers etc.

I am on the fence with this. Seems like a 50/50 shot from what I have been reading.

Read this: http://jalopnik.com/buying-a-hummer-is-a-lot-harder-than-you-might-think-1690595197

Has anyone registered a surplus HMMWV or other vehicle? I know MA requires a title but other states do not. I know in ME and RI (pre 2001) vehicles only need certified bill of sale. I also know there are titling services that can get you a title in another state and send it to you (so I heard) but it requires you to basically sell it to them and then they sell it back. Cost is in the $1k range I hear.

Looking for tips/advice.

Thanks

There's a number of beach tour companies running what looks to me to be ex-military Hummers on the Outer Banks down in North Carolina.

There must be some way to do it.

Looking for tips/advice.

Thanks

If this is one of the newly available military H1's being auctioned through govplanet, you will sign a binding document that forever limits the vehicle to off road use. I have no idea how or if that limitation changes upon resale.

There are military HMMWV's that are legal for road use. Just make sure yours is BEFORE you commit to the purchase or you might be paying $30k for a useless toy.

I'll say it. HMMWVs and H1s suck. They really do.

They are slow as a turtle. They actually have very little room inside. The engine/transmission cover takes up a huge amount of the space, so the passenger seats are cramped and upright.

And then there is the cracked block problem with the 6.2l diesel. If you buy one with the 6.2l diesel and the engine has not been replaced, you will have to replace it. The blocks crack at the #8 cylinder. Every single one, due to a design defect. http://www.flashoffroad.com/Diesel/No8Cyl/CrackedBlock.htm

You could always swap a Duramax or a Cummins into it - there's a number of companies out there doing that.

But now you're talking about a bunch more money.

I mentioned this earlier - but there's a number of companies running Hummers as beach tour vehicles (they take you out to see the wild horses) - down on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. It might be worth a call down to one of them and they might steer you in the right direction as to what you're going to have to do to make this work for you.

There's also the Steel Soldiers website - who might be able to help you out with this also.

One company I found was asking $30k just for the conversion.

That's probably about par for the course.

I've been looking into getting a later model Chevy Suburban converted to run a Duramax diesel - and they're quoting anywhere from $18k -> $25k depending on what gets done.

If you're looking for a conversation starter - and something that is semi-reliable - you might try contacting these guys :

http://www.boyceequipment.com/#!m35a2-bobbed-deuce/c254i

And get a 'bobbed deuce'. I would be a useful truck - it can be registered (one of my co-workers bought one over the summer and is driving it on the road in NH) - and it's likely more of a conversation starter than the Hummer is.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty sure this would get you where you need to go:

crew%20cab%20and%20tires%20pasts%20029.JPG

Paint it up on company colors and you'll definitely generate some conversation.

Here is a link but dont sign up and post just change the bit in front of the word site to get different things to come
AFTER THE LINK BELOW IS COPIED AND PUT IN THE ADDRESS BAR REMOVE THE " " marks. put in your own terms and remove the words SEARCH TERMS.

"SEARCH TERMS site:http://www.steelsoldiers.com/"

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...ummv&sa=Search#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=Titleing Hmmwv

Im on this site and they are real anal about people trying to figure out how to register a hummv.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?137684-cucv-auctionThey dont seem to have a worry that good people waste a ton of money on a pos truck that unless its figured out they cant use on the highway.

Here is a thread where the mods and admin threaten members of this forum if they talk about registering / titleing a humwv.
The problem is the hold harmless agreement isnt a law at all and contract law is not one sided its a meeting of the minds with one part of a contract consideration they dont cosider that.

When people start talking about violating contracts and the law, then, yes moderators will start sensoring threads.

The hold harmless agreement..Its a pdf download.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...jZMhUVz6Ptw0jqWEw&sig2=DO6HCQYzBHPRFJL86hO1Sw

I plan to get one of these and register it in one of the other states I own land in IE Wyoming,Nevada.

BTW: I have a 6.2 core if you want to have it rebuilt and put in...The truck Ive been driving gave up the trans and its warn out anyhow (the truck that is it) the eng does not have any cracks at cyl #8 or otherwise..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom