• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

registering an sbr

garyz

NES Member
got my stamp and my parts. tried to register it on the mass gun portal,
and it will not take a rifle under 16" what do i do?
sorry if this has been asked before, i seached but didn't find anything

thanks
garyz

didn't see firearm as an option, it's an sbr ar style ,
ar style pistole is not legal in mass, right? will system allow me to select pistol
i will try in the morning
thx

If you already registered it while it was in rifle configuration, then you don't need to re-register as you're not magically creating a new gun.

If you didn't, then register as a handgun and move on with your life. Like the others have said, don't try to make sense of MA firearms laws; it's not worth it.

MA Laws suck because you have to FA10 it as a pistol, but doesn't that violate the AWB definition?

NO because:

1. MGL references the Federal AWB for definitions. (Think symlink)
2. Supremacy Clause

Isn’t this the definition of AW pistol?

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

1.Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
2. Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
3. Barrel shroud safety feature that prevents burns to the operator
4. Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
5. A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm.

Assuming this SBR is on a normal lower... won’t it violate #1 and #4 at the very least? And more than likely 1,2,3,&4.

not that anyone really cares, but I find it shocking (not really) that registering it as a handgun is like admitting you are breaking the rules. This state just sucks for clarity on gun laws.

sorry to bump an old thread, yes i did search but didnt find a definitive yes or no. Got my approved stamped back on my sbr. On the portal it seems the whole 16" or less cant be registered is still a thing. So are we all just registering them as pistols? Thought the pistal ar laws would come into effect...as post 17 mentiones.

this lower has never been registered before fyi so unsure if just putting down 16in would be ok as its not like i already had it registered as post 6 suggests

soooo everyone that iv seen posting they've gotten their stamp. is just running the risk? i dont understand 128b, reads as if you cant buy anything from anyone other than a FFL no?

You have a 5th Amendment right. You don't have to tell the government shit. Keep your big mouth shut and do not snitch on yourself.

There is also no law making it mandatory to register, only recoding transfers,

Also if your SBR is a pistol…. It can be carried and used for hunting coyotes after dark?

You are all missing one point. eFA10 is a TRANSACTION record, not a registration. If you bought it as a rifle, that is a transaction and you need to file an eFA10. If you convert it to a pistol or an SBR, there has been no change in ownership, there has been no transaction. You don't need to do anything.

Most of the questions about when to file an eFA10 seem to come from not understanding that it is a transaction record. For example, you move into MA with your guns, do you need to file an eFA10. NO, there has been no change in ownership, there has been no transaction.

Things are bad enough without everyone treating this as a registration, don't help them out by falling into that mindset.

Another example….. you purchase a lower receiver from an FFL…… no FA10 needed. But now you own it…. You build it into a rifle, no transaction has been made…. So no FA 10 needed because there is no seller. Prove me wrong

Last edited:
There is also no law making it mandatory to register, only recoding transfers,

Also if your SBR is a pistol…. It can be carried and used for hunting coyotes after dark?
Also if your Short Barrel Rifle is a Pistol? How can a rifle be a pistol?

Another example….. you purchase a lower receiver from an FFL…… no FA10 needed. But now you own it…. You build it into a rifle, no transaction has been made…. So no FA 10 needed because there is no seller. Prove me wronge

The statute is silent on manufacturing. You are not wrong.

Also if your Short Barrel Rifle is a Pistol? How can a rifle be a pistol?
AG can’t have it both ways, she/he can restrict sales by defining SBR’s and shockwaves as pistols not on roster, Then you should have to play by pistol rules….but then you have the AWB thing

You are all missing one point. eFA10 is a TRANSACTION record, not a registration. If you bought it as a rifle, that is a transaction and you need to file an eFA10. If you convert it to a pistol or an SBR, there has been no change in ownership, there has been no transaction. You don't need to do anything.

Most of the questions about when to file an eFA10 seem to come from not understanding that it is a transaction record. For example, you move into MA with your guns, do you need to file an eFA10. NO, there has been no change in ownership, there has been no transaction.

Things are bad enough without everyone treating this as a registration, don't help them out by falling into that mindset.
thank you for providing some helpful info. i just took a quick look around for a SOT FFL and gave htem a call. they steered me in the right direction.

For future referance if someone finds this thread. i would suggest doing what post 6 says. Put 16in done deal. And as you pointed out ownership hasent change, not going to "de-register" to "register "and if the states portal refuses to take sub 16in length thats their problem. I have my stamp to prove.

Back
Top Bottom