registering an sbr

AG can’t have it both ways, she/he can restrict sales by defining SBR’s and shockwaves as pistols not on roster, Then you should have to play by pistol rules….but then you have the AWB thing

Please familiarize yourself with the separate sovereigns doctrine and Gamble v. United States.

Please familiarize yourself with the separate sovereigns doctrine and Gamble v. United States.
I have a little knowledge about this, what would be the federal issues here vrs state Concealment? Overall Length?

I have a little knowledge about this, what would be the federal issues here vrs state Concealment? Overall Length?
I think he’s pointing out that it’s not the AG that defines SBRs and publishes the firearms roster?

I think he’s pointing out that it’s not the AG that defines SBRs and publishes the firearms roster?
Ok, I understand things don’t add up from state to federal law.
Example. Shockwave is considered a pistol in MA to prevent sales by dealers, If the shockwave is concealed like a pistol at a length of 26+. It would be an AOW under fed law
It would seem feds could prosecute you but not the state as well.
Honestly haven’t really researched this angle of the law

The law says you have to report the gun within 7 days if you "purchases or obtains" it. It is true that if you build it yourself, you didn't purchase it. But you did obtain it: you didn't have it before but now you do.

The law says you have to report the gun within 7 days if you "purchases or obtains" it. It is true that if you build it yourself, you didn't purchase it. But you did obtain it: you didn't have it before but now you do.

What if you forget? Do you do it on the 8th day and self-incriminate or do you have a right to remain silent?

Haynes v. United States addressed this in 1968

The law says you have to report the gun within 7 days if you "purchases or obtains" it. It is true that if you build it yourself, you didn't purchase it. But you did obtain it: you didn't have it before but now you do
So if you obtained it it would be a transfer, Who is the seller? Because there is no law saying you need to register it only record transfers??

thank you for providing some helpful info. i just took a quick look around for a SOT FFL and gave htem a call. they steered me in the right direction.

For future referance if someone finds this thread. i would suggest doing what post 6 says. Put 16in done deal. And as you pointed out ownership hasent change, not going to "de-register" to "register "and if the states portal refuses to take sub 16in length thats their problem. I have my stamp to prove.
AGAIN, it's NOT a registration (doesn't matter how it's used, its what it is legally). All the confusion comes from having the wrong mindset and treating it like a registration.

And I would not recommend lying on a gov form. Say it's 16" when you know it's not. You'll get in more trouble for that.
More misunderstanding. Under MA law it becomes a gun when it can fire. So you assemble an AR as a rifle, it is now a gun and you just came into possession of the gun, and it has a serial number. Changing a part does not change possession. Did you buy a gun? Did you come into possession of a gun? These require an eFA10. But changing a part on a gun does not change possession.
Think of it this way, for possession to change, it has to become possessed by someone else, and them maybe come back to you, that's 2 transactions. If it's yours at the begining and the end and none elses in between, there has been no change in posession, so no transaction, so no eFA10.

AGAIN, it's NOT a registration (doesn't matter how it's used, its what it is legally). All the confusion comes from having the wrong mindset and treating it like a registration.

And I would not recommend lying on a gov form. Say it's 16" when you know it's not. You'll get in more trouble for that.

More misunderstanding. Under MA law it becomes a gun when it can fire. So you assemble an AR as a rifle, it is now a gun and you just came into possession of the gun, and it has a serial number. Changing a part does not change possession. Did you buy a gun? Did you come into possession of a gun? These require an eFA10. But changing a part on a gun does not change possession.
Think of it this way, for possession to change, it has to become possessed by someone else, and them maybe come back to you, that's 2 transactions. If it's yours at the begining and the end and none elses in between, there has been no change in posession, so no transaction, so no eFA10.

My guns are trained to self-disassemble every sixth day which resets the clock.

I have several C&R guns I purchased out of state but have never shot them, so am not 100% they can fire a shot.. do I wait to do the Registration after I am sure they meet the definition of a gun In MA

I have several C&R guns I purchased out of state but have never shot them, so am not 100% they can fire a shot.. do I wait to do the Registration after I am sure they meet the definition of a gun In MA
Hmm, interesting question. In MA a gun becomes a gun when it can be fired, but does it automatically become a non gun later if it become unfireable, not through disassembly, but because of some type of failure....

I don't think this is one I want to argue in court, but that's just where my line is.

Back
Top Bottom