Registering a new trailer in Ma.

The Maine registration is not technically legal if you use it in the state of ma

That article doesn’t reference the MA law. This law reference says fine is $100. Not sure if the right law.

Have a utility trailer bought new as a kit. It came with a Certificate Of Origin - which I can’t find. Probably have to register as home built. $22 in NH or $20 in MA plus sales tax.

My personal experience is that police politely ignore boat and utility trailers. Sold a double axle boat trailer to a guy in RI and he towed it home with no plate at all. We towed a boat down from Canada with an expired Ontario plate and no one cared, even Customs: thry just wanted to see the boat paperwork.

I have an enclosed MC trailer I bought from the original owner. I had bill of sale and certificate of origin from the trailer dealer to my seller. Tried to register it in MA "You need the previous owner's registration to prove he owned the trailer". WTAF? Paid the sales tax to ME and registered it there.

Sounds like the trailer was under the weight threshold requiring a title since all they required was a copy of seller's reg? Might have been better trying with just a bill of sale in that case rather than including the cert of origin w/ someone else listed as buyer.

Re titles: MA only recognizes title in seller's name signed over to the buyer, they don't recognize title (or cert of origin) signed over to seller who then signs it over again to another buyer. Many states operate like this. On the MA Title there's one spot for First Assignment of Title by Owner (the person named on the front of the title) to the buyer. If the seller fills out the title w/ a private individual as the buyer, the buyer needs to title the vehicle in their name before they can sell it (i.e. transfer title) to another private party.

There are two exceptions:

1. If the owner sells the vehicle to a dealer, the dealer can reassign the title to another dealer or a private party. We'll often see multiple dealer/auction reassignments before the transfer to the final buyer.
  2. If it's a Title from a State that allows individual private parties to reassign the title to someone else after it has been signed over to them. I have seen this happen exactly twice in all of the years I have been dealing w/ clients registering their cars.

Got a question: With my rusty old Chevy pick-up truck (the "Money Pit") now gone to the scrap pile, I need a small 5'x9' trailer to haul around with my mini-SUV. Towing capacity on the mini-SUV is just 2,000 lbs. Can I register a 2,990 lb GVW trailer in MA at 2,000 lbs?

The 2,000 lb trailer comes with 12" wheels. The near-same 2,990 lb trailer comes with 15" wheels. I'd really prefer the latter, but it kills me how much Massachusetts extorts from us just to own a trailer. Paying $40/yr instead of $60/yr for registration would be one small step in the right direction.

Anyone know?

Got a question: With my rusty old Chevy pick-up truck (the "Money Pit") now gone to the scrap pile, I need a small 5'x9' trailer to haul around with my mini-SUV. Towing capacity on the mini-SUV is just 2,000 lbs. Can I register a 2,990 lb GVW trailer in MA at 2,000 lbs?

The 2,000 lb trailer comes with 12" wheels. The near-same 2,990 lb trailer comes with 15" wheels. I'd really prefer the latter, but it kills me how much Massachusetts extorts from us just to own a trailer. Paying $40/yr instead of $60/yr for registration would be one small step in the right direction.

Anyone know?
Your best bet to do that might be to get a "derated" trailer direct from the manufacturer that shows it's rated for 2000 pounds on its VIN decal. People do this on larger trailers , where they get like 14k trailers derated so they can tow behind trucks rated for 10k. I've seen this done quite a few times.

Another thing to bear in mind is: why exactly is it that your SUV is only rated for 2000 pounds. Often there are upgrades that can be done to raise the safe tow limit on a vehicle, like a better trans cooler, or brakes on even a small 2990 pound rated trailer, that will make it practical to tow more even on a low rated vehicle like your SUV.

Oh yeah, and get an aluminum trailer , that will max out the amount you can haul , and the trailer will last longer with little to no maintenance.

Last edited:
So how does registering in Maine deal with sales tax? I have a 24ft enclosed car trailer I got last year - that's been sitting in my driveway unregistered because I've got to get some work done on it. I bought it from a guy in Florida - who towed it all the way up here for me (without even having a plate on it!) . I've been putting off even getting it registered here in MA - because they'll immediately want to charge me the sales tax. I have the title for it. If Maine doesn't give a crap about the sales tax - I'd probably just go get it registered so I could at least tow it around locally.

Now I'm looking at an open equipment trailer on auction - that says it has no title. How does Maine handle the no title thing? Do they even care?

Billah-Sale??? MA can get funky on that stuff. My SIL was trying to do the right thing and register his kayak as he is putting a tiny trolling motor on it. "You need a title." "IT'S A FREAKING KAYAK!" "Well, you need a bill of sale." "I bought it from some guy off of FB 2 years ago." (Thankfully marine division is SO much better than the RMV) "We just need something that says what you paid for it."

I have a client who is a small car dealer. The stories they tell of the RMV and run-around is legend. And they know what they're doing. Many times, the clerks act like JJEx and they're just pure-D wrong but can't be bothered to actually fix it.

Billah-Sale??? MA can get funky on that stuff. My SIL was trying to do the right thing and register his kayak as he is putting a tiny trolling motor on it. "You need a title." "IT'S A FREAKING KAYAK!" "Well, you need a bill of sale." "I bought it from some guy off of FB 2 years ago." (Thankfully marine division is SO much better than the RMV) "We just need something that says what you paid for it."

I have a client who is a small car dealer. The stories they tell of the RMV and run-around is legend. And they know what they're doing. Many times, the clerks act like JJEx and they're just pure-D wrong but can't be bothered to actually fix it.
I have the title and a bill of sale for the enclosed trailer, so I don't think getting it registered should be an issue in MA. I knew when I got it that MA coan be a PITA, so I made sure to get both from the seller when I bought it. I'm tempted to just get it registered in Maine because the sales tax is lower and the reg won't be so ridiculous. I'm just wondering if I should get the title transferred over to my name in MA or do that in Maine too.

Your best bet to do that might be to get a "derated" trailer direct from the manufacturer that shows it's rated for 2000 pounds on its VIN decal. People do this on larger trailers , where they get like 14k trailers derated so they can tow behind trucks rated for 10k. I've seen this done quite a few times.

Another thing to bear in mind is: why exactly is it that your SUV is only rated for 2000 pounds. Often there are upgrades that can be done to raise the safe tow limit on a vehicle, like a better trans cooler, or brakes on even a small 2990 pound rated trailer, that will make it practical to tow more even on a low rated vehicle like your SUV.

Oh yeah, and get an aluminum trailer , that will max out the amount you can haul , and the trailer will last longer with little to no maintenance.
The hitch is rated for 3,500 lbs and I have probably pulled at or close to that with a U-Haul rental trailer already, but that's not the issue for this small utility trailer that I am looking to buy. I'll happily go back to U-Haul for anything big and heavy that needs to be moved. Their trailers are built like brick s-houses and many different styles to fit your exact needs... surge brakes too.

This utility trailer that I want is for light duty stuff. Rating-wise, I am fine with a 2,000 lb GVWR trailer... but those damned 12" wheels look like they belong on a kid's toy. Plus one good pothole or bump and there goes your load. :oops:

Derated from the manufacturer would be very cool, but I don't think anyplace is going to do that for such a small trailer. I have read that you can declare a lower GVW than the GVWR elsewhere, but not sure for Massachusetts. Everything sucks in Massachusetts. :confused:

The hitch is rated for 3,500 lbs and I have probably pulled at or close to that with a U-Haul rental trailer already, but that's not the issue for this small utility trailer that I am looking to buy. I'll happily go back to U-Haul for anything big and heavy that needs to be moved. Their trailers are built like brick s-houses and many different styles to fit your exact needs... surge brakes too.

This utility trailer that I want is for light duty stuff. Rating-wise, I am fine with a 2,000 lb GVWR trailer... but those damned 12" wheels look like they belong on a kid's toy. Plus one good pothole or bump and there goes your load. :oops:

Derated from the manufacturer would be very cool, but I don't think anyplace is going to do that for such a small trailer. I have read that you can declare a lower GVW than the GVWR elsewhere, but not sure for Massachusetts. Everything sucks in Massachusetts. :confused:
Well I'm not sure how you are going to declare a lower weight rating for the trailer - than what is specified on the VIN decal. I've read on a number of forums of people who have gotten trailers - admittedly bigger trailers - with "derated" GVW specified on the VIN decal. But if you've already pulled heavier trailers and have a 3500 pound hitch - why not just go with a trailer capable of hauling that weight to begin with.

I took a look at the registration for the Worthington aluminum 5x10 utility trailer that I have - and it says 3000 pounds. I think the actual rating on the trailer VIN decal is lower than that - I would have to check. The way ALL of the small utility trailers I have seen are built - is based on the axle rating. And pretty much ALL of the manufacturers are the same. If you're going to look for a 2000 pound trailer - you're going to get one of those little 12" wheel jobs. If you want to get 15" wheels - you're going to have to go up to a 3000 pound trailer. Off the top of my head I don't know what the UHaul trailer options are , but that aluminum trailer that I have - handles some pretty heavy stuff. It's also really damn light. Last week I made a run to HD and loaded it up with 2000 pounds of concrete and then hauled 2000 pounds of granite curb blocks back from Athol. I do that regularly with it. But then I also do shit like haul lawn tractors and furniture with it (it's got a tilt bed too). Honestly - if you want a trailer with 15" wheels - why not just get one like the one I have - and be done with it. Skip the U-Haul rentals - just get one that will handle ultimate load you can haul with your SUV and save the money on the rentals.

I paid about $1500 for this thing back in like 2007 or 2008, and they sell for around $3500 now for a comparable trailer. So I'm pretty sure I could sell it used for more than I paid for it. It's completely maintainence free - other than me having to rewire it and put new lights on it about 10 years ago - and ALL trailers in my experience , come with shit lighting. My father has an aluminum trailer - that he built in 1974 that is still on the road and used regularly. I'm pretty sure this thing will last me until I'm old enough to not need it any more and then I'll give it to my kid if he wants it. Add up the cost of a U-Haul rental every year for the next 15 years - and add that to the $$ you're willing to spend for a trailer now and save the aggravation of having to go to U-Haul every time you need to haul something "heavy".

I also got the 5x10 - and that definitely comes in useful a lot. It means I can easily haul 16 ft long lumber - or up to 20 ft on occasion - back from the lumberyard by laying it over the top and hanging it over front and back with a flag on the rear. A shorter trailer would make that harder. Hauling a lawn tractor - which can be 6ft or more long - means I can put that in easily with a little extra space - or haul one with a bagger attached on the rear.

I pull this thing with a GMC Yukon XL (same as a Suburban) - which will fit a 4x8 sheet good inside - but most of the time I just use the trailer because it's so much easier to deal with.

Last edited:
@EJFudd :
Maybe I spoke too soon, I had to go look at the trailer I have to refresh my memory on what it's specs were. I thought it had a higher load rating , but it looks like it's more in the range of what you are actually looking for.

So it's a Worthington aluminum utility trailer , with a 5x10 bed and removable stake sides on all four corners. I think I bought it around 2007 or 2008 and I got it from a place up in Greenfield NH. Near as I can tell - Worthington is out of business now , but there's at least a dozen other companies out there making very similar trailers. The good ones give you a menu of choices to option out the trailer the way you want it set up.

Specs (from the sticker)
GAWR: 2200 lb
GVWR: 2400 lb
Tires: 175/80 D 13C
Sidewall load rating: 1360 pounds per tire @ 50psi
torsion type axle
tilt bed.

I've loaded this thing up with a known 2000 pounds + load probably dozens of times now over it's life. It's on the original tires. I know you're looking for a trailer with something other than the 12" tires - and I would too, but if you see something with the 13" tires , in my experience I would say they stand up perfectly well. 15" tires would be better I suppose - but I think you're gonna have to go up to a trailer with a 3000lb load rating to see that out of the factory.

If you're intent on looking for a trailer in the 2000 pound range I think something like this might be worth considering. I think I'd still recommend going a little bit higher on the load rating - especially since you said you've hauled trailers in the 3500 pound range before, and that would get you the 15" tires you're looking for plus the ability to not have to go to U-Haul and spend money renting something. I bought my trailer because originally I intended on hauling it behind the Acura I was driving. I later bought a truck - which could easily haul up to 9900 pounds. A trailer in the 3000-5000 pound range would have made easier work of a few haul jobs I've had over the years.

PXL_20230427_232630948.small.jpg

PXL_20230427_232703225_small.jpg

@calsdad That's a great trailer you've got there! [thumbsup] Yes, it would be very expensive to buy one of those aluminum ones today. :oops:

In regard to U-Haul, I love those guys. We live near a corporate location, so I don't have to deal with a gas station or liquor store that does U-Hauls on the side. When I reserve a trailer, it is there waiting for me... and sometimes you are just better off with a trailer that meets your exact needs... open, enclosed, big, small, ramp or no ramp, specialty or standard, etc. I have to move some purchased trees soon and there is no way I am going to buy a trailer just to suit that oddball one-time use. 🤔

The smallish open utility trailer I plan to buy will first and foremost be a lawnmower and lawn equipment mover. I'll also use it occasionally for moving tractor and mini-excavator implements and attachments up to maybe 500-600 lbs max. Any of the small 2,000 lb TSC, Runnings or Lowes utility trailers will do the job easily, but I hate those damn 12" tires. 13" tires doesn't sound like much of a difference, but it's actually a pretty good step up IMHO. 15" tires and I'm in trailer tire Nirvana. [laugh]

So I guess I'll have to ask the MA RMV my question. I'll have to go in person as I have never had any luck with their "Ask the RMV" on-line system. You get meaningless non-answers or answers that are wrong 3/4 of the time. [crying]

@calsdad That's a great trailer you've got there! [thumbsup] Yes, it would be very expensive to buy one of those aluminum ones today. :oops:

In regard to U-Haul, I love those guys. We live near a corporate location, so I don't have to deal with a gas station or liquor store that does U-Hauls on the side. When I reserve a trailer, it is there waiting for me... and sometimes you are just better off with a trailer that meets your exact needs... open, enclosed, big, small, ramp or no ramp, specialty or standard, etc. I have to move some purchased trees soon and there is no way I am going to buy a trailer just to suit that oddball one-time use. 🤔

The smallish open utility trailer I plan to buy will first and foremost be a lawnmower and lawn equipment mover. I'll also use it occasionally for moving tractor and mini-excavator implements and attachments up to maybe 500-600 lbs max. Any of the small 2,000 lb TSC, Runnings or Lowes utility trailers will do the job easily, but I hate those damn 12" tires. 13" tires doesn't sound like much of a difference, but it's actually a pretty good step up IMHO. 15" tires and I'm in trailer tire Nirvana. [laugh]

So I guess I'll have to ask the MA RMV my question. I'll have to go in person as I have never had any luck with their "Ask the RMV" on-line system. You get meaningless non-answers or answers that are wrong 3/4 of the time. [crying]
I think I mentioned it before , but I wanted to point it out again: The registration for my trailer says 3000 pounds, but the decals on the trailer says it's GVWR is 2400 pounds. I think this is likely because the Registry doesn't care to differentiate between anything that's below 3000 pounds. That might factor in - in your quest to have the registration show a lower GVWR. I don't know that the weight listed on the registration really means all that much anyway. I've read a number of long involved threads on tractor, camping, and boating forums talking about what the staties actually look at when they're deciding to ticket you or not. In most cases : people have said they rely on the load ratings on the manufacturer's decal on the tow vehicle and the decal on the trailer. So not sure the registration actually factors in at all. I've read a number of people who have claimed to have received tickets when they were towing trailers with like 14k or 16k load ratings - behind trucks that were only rated to tow 10 or 12k - here's the kicker: the trailers were empty. So the actual load they were hauling was well within the tow rating of the vehicle, but the trailer "could have" been hauling a heavier load - which would have made the combination against the regs.

I've also read though ..... of state troopers who actually take a look at the vehicle and the trailer and see if it's ACTUALLY capable of towing what it's towing - stickers be damned. Did you upgrade the cooling on the truck? Did you upgrade the brakes - the rear axle - do you have a 16k hitch but you're only towing a 12k load - on a truck that says it's rated for 10k? Well then if you run across one of these guys you're likely ok.

The other thing I've seen mentioned - is that if you derate the trailer on the sticker from the manufacturer - and you're (for instance) towing a trailer now rated for 10k on the decal, but is built to haul 14k - and you've got 11 or 12k on it - well then you're likely going to be ok unless they want to make you run across a scale. Which is not likely going to happen - especially if you're local and not on an interstate.

I'd be curious to see what the registry says about changing the load rating on the registry. If you're intent on getting rid of the cheesy 12" tires - check out one of those trailers and see what the bolt pattern is , and then go to etrailer.com or one of the other online trailer parts places and see if they have upgraded 13" or 14" wheels that will fit the pattern. Ultimately you could always replace the whole axle to get where you want to go , but now you're spending more money and maybe should have just bought a higher end trailer to begin with.

I think I mentioned it before , but I wanted to point it out again: The registration for my trailer says 3000 pounds, but the decals on the trailer says it's GVWR is 2400 pounds. I think this is likely because the Registry doesn't care to differentiate between anything that's below 3000 pounds. That might factor in - in your quest to have the registration show a lower GVWR.
The state charges in 1,000 lb increments... so your 2,400 lb GVWR becomes a 3,000 lb trailer for registration fee purposes. The 2,990 lb GVWR I am considering (i.e., the larger trailer with 15" wheels) would also be a 3,000 lb trailer for purposes of the registration fee.

I've also read though ..... of state troopers who actually take a look at the vehicle and the trailer and see if it's ACTUALLY capable of towing what it's towing - stickers be damned. Did you upgrade the cooling on the truck? Did you upgrade the brakes - the rear axle - do you have a 16k hitch but you're only towing a 12k load - on a truck that says it's rated for 10k? Well then if you run across one of these guys you're likely ok.
This is where we get back into the vehicle's tow rating, which in my case is 2,000 lbs max. I have done no upgrades to the vehicle, although the hitch itself is a 3,500/350 lb hitch.
The other thing I've seen mentioned - is that if you derate the trailer on the sticker from the manufacturer - and you're (for instance) towing a trailer now rated for 10k on the decal, but is built to haul 14k - and you've got 11 or 12k on it - well then you're likely going to be ok unless they want to make you run across a scale. Which is not likely going to happen - especially if you're local and not on an interstate.
I remember that whole derating game back from years ago when I was looking at dump trailers for my business. I remember some monster trailers at one place being sold with low ratings (under 8,000 or 10,000 lbs maybe?) just to meet some law or reg or other criteria that I've long forgotten. 🤔
I'd be curious to see what the registry says about changing the load rating on the registry. If you're intent on getting rid of the cheesy 12" tires - check out one of those trailers and see what the bolt pattern is , and then go to etrailer.com or one of the other online trailer parts places and see if they have upgraded 13" or 14" wheels that will fit the pattern. Ultimately you could always replace the whole axle to get where you want to go , but now you're spending more money and maybe should have just bought a higher end trailer to begin with.
The 2,000 lb trailers with the 12" wheels have steel fenders that wouldn't even allow room for a 13" tire. Yeah, we thought of that. [laugh]

It's starting to look like availability will play a role in my choice of trailer brand & model. It turns out that Home Depot does not stock trailers at the stores... so no Karavan 2,000 lb option there unless I want to order and wait. TSC locally doesn't carry Karavans in 2,000 lb either. That means I will likely end up with a 2,990 lb Carry-On trailer from Runnings or a Karavan 2,990 lb trailer from TSC. 🤔

I bought a 5x8 utility trailer perhaps a decade ago. At the time was under my parents insurance so my mother got the registration for it to make it legal but I was the one who paid for it. I am sick of paying excise to MA every year on that thing as well as registration fee. I would like to get it into my name and get a Maine plate to avoid taxachusetts recurring fees. Thinking just need a bill of sale saying it was gifted to me, as they won't care I actually was the one who initially bought it since it went into her name. Then send the B.O.S. to Maine and get plates for it. it is under 3k gross weight as its just a carry on company utility trailer. anyone have any experience with something like this?

on another note, I was at Tractor supply yesterday helping a buddy pick up some things. We used my trailer and as we drove out stopped to look at the trailers they had. similar 5x8's made by the same company looked like shit comparatively. The mesh on the bottom and on the gate was twice as wide. and the welds looked like tacks. My ten year or so old model has mesh that is maybe 1x1 and the new ones look to be twice the width in between. The angle iron on the newer ones barely had any welds to them. oh, and what I paid $599 or a Lowes maybe 10 years ago(n0t certain when I bought it but tired date code to 2011 so somewhere around there), was now $1199. inflation aside, the quality looked to have gone way down. same company make, Carry on Trailer co.

I think I should buy new tires for it. they don't show any dry rot and the tread is still nice as I dont use it too often and store it in a shed over the winters, but Murphys law tells me one will pop when I dont want it to, using it one of the handful of times a year I do.

Last edited:
I bought a 5x8 utility trailer perhaps a decade ago. At the time was under my parents insurance so my mother got the registration for it to make it legal but I was the one who paid for it. I am sick of paying excise to MA every year on that thing as well as registration fee. I would like to get it into my name and get a Maine plate to avoid taxachusetts recurring fees. Thinking just need a bill of sale saying it was gifted to me, as they won't care I actually was the one who initially bought it since it went into her name. Then send the B.O.S. to Maine and get plates for it. it is under 3k gross weight as its just a carry on company utility trailer. anyone have any experience with something like this?
Beware of the Maine trailer registration thang. MA has gotten even more greedy and now says they are stepping up enforcement against MA vehicles towing out-of-state registered trailers. Who knows if it is really true, but be aware that this threat is out there.
On another note, I was at Tractor supply yesterday helping a buddy pick up some things. We used my trailer and as we drove out stopped to look at the trailers they had. similar 5x8's made by the same company looked like shit comparatively. The mesh on the bottom and on the gate was twice as wide. and the welds looked like tacks. My ten year or so old model has mesh that is maybe 1x1 and the new ones look to be twice the width in between. The angle iron on the newer ones barely had any welds to them. oh, and what I paid $599 or a Lowes maybe 10 years ago(n0t certain when I bought it but tired date code to 2011 so somewhere around there), was now $1199. inflation aside, the quality looked to have gone way down. same company make, Carry on Trailer co.
Yes, the lightest of the current batch of Carry-On trailers look so flimsy you wonder if they will even make it home. [laugh] But that's also how they keep the cost down and the trailer weight low so as to increase the allowable load for 2,000 & 2,990 lb GVWR trailers. Personally, I'd rather have more steel and I'll take the hit on allowable load. :)

Last edited:
Brand new utility trailer (5x10 ) for the house, Title in hand plus all the paper work from seller. Walk into RMV (Mass) took 5 seconds and was told I need an insurance stamp. Ok call agent and she says no stamp needed and no insurance needed for the trailer to get a plate the motor vehicle towing the trailer would expand to trailer if needed for liability or I can buy more insurance if I wanted but not needed to register in line again to explain and all I heard was stamp needed NEXT!!!! Although I was extremely happy to hear perfect English being spoken (heheheh )Anyone been thru this or have an answer?
I went through this years ago. Just tell them it's for dump runs (not towing vehicles)
They will put a tow weight limit on the paperwork of "up too 1000lbs)
Which makes the tax rate lower I believe.

I hope this helps.

It's not even worth buying a small utility trailer nowadays if your an infrequent user. My 5x8 sits in the yard, unregistered, piled with tractor implements that I'm too lazy to unload. For $25 I can rent a better trailer from uhaul / Tractor supply for the day, make a run and drop it back off. Also nice if you don't have a lot of yard space to store a trailer.

It's not even worth buying a small utility trailer nowadays if you're an infrequent user. My 5x8 sits in the yard, unregistered, piled with tractor implements that I'm too lazy to unload. For $25 I can rent a better trailer from uhaul / Tractor supply for the day, make a run and drop it back off. Also nice if you don't have a lot of yard space to store a trailer.
So true. I've noted this myself. The smart play is to rent, not buy in almost all "occasional small haul" situations. Example: I need a small trailer on Wednesday to move a heavy, bulky antique item we bought. Trailer for the day is $14.95+Tax. Reserved on-line and all set. Can't beat it. [thumbsup]

So if it’s illegal to tow a trailer not registered in MA, how can you rent a U Haul?
Well, according to our money-hungry state government, it only applies to MA registered vehicles towing a trailer in MA registered to the owner in another state. It's a money thing. They want their crazy high MA trailer registration fees, sales tax & excise tax. :mad:

U-Haul is a commercial enterprise... whole different thang. 🤔

That article doesn’t reference the MA law. This law reference says fine is $100. Not sure if the right law.

Have a utility trailer bought new as a kit. It came with a Certificate Of Origin - which I can’t find. Probably have to register as home built. $22 in NH or $20 in MA plus sales tax.

My personal experience is that police politely ignore boat and utility trailers. Sold a double axle boat trailer to a guy in RI and he towed it home with no plate at all. We towed a boat down from Canada with an expired Ontario plate and no one cared, even Customs: thry just wanted to see the boat paperwork.
I'd like to see the cite also. Agree, the police don't want to waste their time with trailers.

Seems asinine that one guy with his truck registered in Mass would be violating the law by towing his buddy's trailer registered in another state. But, it's mAss for a reason.

I'd like to see the cite also. Agree, the police don't want to waste their time with trailers.
Not according to one of my equipment rental guys who got a whopping fine for towing an unregistered trailer. Remember that it only takes one AH cop to ruin your whole day. 😟
Seems asinine that one guy with his truck registered in Mass would be violating the law by towing his buddy's trailer registered in another state. But, it's mAss for a reason.
That should not be a problem as you have described it. The threat from the state only applies to trailers that you as a Ma**h*** have registered in your name in another state so as to avoid the insane MA trailer registration fee and the sales &/or excise tax. 🤔

Back
Top Bottom