Registered SBR, Form 5320.20, Non-SBR State

I've built a semi-auto Uzi that I am considering SBR'ing. One of the places I'd consider shooting it is out of state at an action pistol match. Normal procedure would be to file ATF Form 5320.20 for the whole year. Unfortunately the state is RI which doesn't allow SBR's. Can I bring a registered SBR in an non-SBR configuration into a non-SBR State? From my research this appears to be a gray area. I'd hate to jump through the hoops, wait for 6 months, spend the money and be stuck.

A rifle with a barrel over 16" and an overall length over 26" is not a SBR.
It shouldn't matter if said rifle's receiver is registered as a SBR.

But that's just my opinion.

It matters.

One of the locals who moved to a non-NFA state had to write a letter to the ATF to have his SBR removed from the NFA registry before it was legal to take to NY.

Well, it does matter. Its an SBR until the ATF receives a letter requesting removal from the registry, until then it remains registered as an SBR and a gun transported interstate must be legal in both source and destination states.

The ATF really doesn't care about our opinions until they are forced by a court to recede.

That's why I said it was just my opinion, maybe I should have elaborated. OP wants an SBR because they are fun. He also wants to play with the rifle in a state where he can not bring a SBR. If Reconfigured to over 16/26 the toy is no longer a SBR, except for the fact that he paid a $200 tax , Jumped through the necessary hoops and registered with the ATF. It could be the same make and model that John Doe bought out of the trunk of a car behind Walmart, but Joe's is legit in this non SBR friendly state.

Just another example of a rediculous law that does nothing.

That's why I said it was just my opinion, maybe I should have elaborated. OP wants an SBR because they are fun. He also wants to play with the rifle in a state where he can not bring a SBR. If Reconfigured to over 16/26 the toy is no longer a SBR, except for the fact that he paid a $200 tax , Jumped through the necessary hoops and registered with the ATF. It could be the same make and model that John Doe bought out of the trunk of a car behind Walmart, but Joe's is legit in this non SBR friendly state.

Just another example of a rediculous law that does nothing.

SJan is correct. If you place a greater-than-16" upper back on your SBR'd AR15, for example, the weapon reverts to Title 1 status, and can be transported across state lines following the same laws as other Title 1 weapons. No 5320.20, no "letter requesting removal from the registry", nada. You just have to leave the short-barreled upper at home.

From the ATF:

Finally, if you place the long-barrel on your registered SBR receiver (essentially converting the weapon temporarily from a SBR into a standard rifle) you may transport the long barreled weapon across State lines without completing the above-noted procedures and receiving permission from the NFA Branch. You could also transport the receiver itself with no barrel attached across state lines without permission. However, in both of these instances, the short barreled upper must be left at home and cannot be transported across State lines in association with either the unbarreled registered SBR receiver or the long barreled rifle utilizing the registered SBR receiver.

In short, simply registering a receiver as an SBR with the NFA Branch doesn't mean anything; the weapon has to configured as an SBR to be an SBR. (SBSs are the same, BTW)

This is different than, say machine guns, which are always considered machine guns.

Last edited:
In short, simply registering a receiver as an SBR with the NFA Branch doesn't mean anything; the weapon has to configured as an SBR to be an SBR. (SBSs are the same, BTW)

This is different than, say machine guns, which are always considered machine guns.

This is true only if you are not in control of the parts needed to return it to a NFA configuration.

As for telling the ATF you have or would like to remove a SBR from the NFA books that is false. They woudl LIKE you to do so but you can put a 16" or greater upper on a SBR and sell it as a title 1 to anyone who can legally buy it and you are not REQUIRED to tell the ATF anything.

Unlike any other NFA items as ScottS has stated a SBR is ONLY a SBR while configured as such or you are in control of the parts necessary to convert to NFA.

- - - Updated - - -

It matters.

One of the locals who moved to a non-NFA state had to write a letter to the ATF to have his SBR removed from the NFA registry before it was legal to take to NY.

This is false. There is NO law saying you have to tell the ATF you have done so.

it is regeterd sbr, the atf will not approve the 5320.2. they will not help you brake a RI state law. dose not matter that the barrel on it 16" at the time.

it is regeterd sbr, the atf will not approve the 5320.2. they will not help you brake a RI state law. dose not matter that the barrel on it 16" at the time.

Holy crap. Spelling and form number aside, you're just plain wrong. No Form 5320.20 is even filed for this, as the weapon is configured as a Title 1 weapon. There is nothing to approve.

Thanks. I got my info from an SBR owner who moved to NY and assumed knew what he was talking about.

He may have. NY is a funky place, especially post-SAFE ACT. You never know. Maybe there's some NY State thing about removing NFA from the Registry, or maybe he just decided he wanted to remove it from the Registry because he was headed behind enemy lines for the duration.

Or, he might have been misinformed. As you can see from above, there are a lot of people (even NFA owners) who still misunderstand the requirements.

Last edited:
not wrong,if its a sbr reguardless of what barrel is on it! and you need a 5320.2 to cross into RI.
kant spel

not wrong,if its a sbr reguardless of what barrel is on it! and you need a 5320.2 to cross into RI.
kant spel

You're very wrong, as many people in this thread have shown you, through ATF documentation. You don't even appear to have read the information or links, let alone addressed them with any cogent rebuttal.

Please stop posting incorrect information. It does no one any good.

Seriously! We really need a mod with a modicum of understanding of the NFA to delete the unbelievably inaccurate posts on here.

NUT you are painfully incorrect and seem to be completely ignorant of the law regarding NFA. You may want to learn BEFORE you start spouting you incredibly incorrect opinion!

He may have. NY is a funky place, especially post-SAFE ACT. You never know. Maybe there's some NY State thing about removing NFA from the Registry, or maybe he just decided he wanted to remove it from the Registry because he was headed behind enemy lines for the duration.

Or, he might have been misinformed. As you can see from above, there are a lot of people (even NFA owners) who still misunderstand the requirements.

A SBR is a FEDERALLY registered firearm. NO state has any control over the NFA registry. More over how would NY know it was a NFA item if it was not configured as such?

A SBR is a FEDERALLY registered firearm. NO state has any control over the NFA registry. More over how would NY know it was a NFA item if it was not configured as such?

Hey, I didn't say NY did require it. NY is pretty ****ed up, and they do stuff like ignoring FOPA (a Federal law). I just said it might be part of the explanation.

Note I also said he might have been misinformed.

from the link that was posted it says However as long as you possess the short barrel, the reciever must remain a regesterd SBR. also says A person may not lawfully transport in interstate commerce any SBR across a state line without prior written approval of NFA branch. Meaning a 5320.2
Thanks for posting a link that says what I said is true.

If the assertion posited by other people is correct there is no reason to file a 5320 on it because once reconfigured, it is not an SBR.

-Mike

from the link that was posted it says However as long as you possess the short barrel, the reciever must remain a regesterd SBR. also says A person may not lawfully transport in interstate commerce any SBR across a state line without prior written approval of NFA branch. Meaning a 5320.2

No.

The letters from the ATF all say the same thing: if configured as a Title 1 weapon (greater than 16"/26"), the weapon becomes at Title 1 weapon. It may be transported (and even sold) as a Title 1 weapon. That is very clear.

What is also very clear is that if you're configured as a Title 1 weapon, you can't also haul around a <16" upper. It doesn't say "possess."

I can't tell if you're deliberately trolling, or if you're just slow on the uptake. I recommend you do some research, as this particular topic is covered on almost every NFA board out there.

Did you read all the way to the last paragraph on the 2nd page ? [rolleyes]

Screenshot 2016-04-02 at 10.49.37 AM.png

Back
Top Bottom