• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Register non ma firearm

Not sure where to ask this but will any dealers register a non ma listed firearm. Firearm purchased by me in AZ.

Dealers not needed to register gun. You can use the MIRCS E-FA-10 system to do it if you -really- need to, but I would think long and hard about it before you do it. Are you moving in with it or were you already an MA resident when you obtained it? If you moved here with it does NOT need to be registered! Ever!!!!!

Note: This is a question you may need to ask yourself and NOT ANSWER IN PUBLIC, if you get the hint....

ETA: Also note that handgun compliance, ETC, does not apply to people who are not engaged in the act of
selling firearms as a dealer in MA. So if you moved here with something like a Springfield XD or whatever, you're fine, just watch out for the AWB compliance BS on the magazines (XD is too new so any mags that hold more than 10 rounds are an easy felony in MA for it)

-Mike

Last edited:
I understand. I am a current resident of Ma and looking to carry the pistol so don't want an issue if I have to use it for self defense.

If you use it for self defense, regardless of what you have, you'll have issues.

Remember the guy in Boston that saved the psychiatrist from the crazy? As clear as could be, and he was still jammed up for six months, while they decided if he was a bad guy....

Just be careful of the mags, as noted above.

I understand. I am a current resident of Ma and looking to carry the pistol so don't want an issue if I have to use it for self defense.

Any pistol purchased in a state other then that of your state of residence must be transferred through an FFL, if the pistol is not "MA Approved" you may or may not be able to find a dealer wiling to transfer it for you, but don't tell us who it is if you find one...

If you brought it in after you moved here you have to FA-10 (or E-FA-10 it, if you do it online) it as a registration. DO NOT LIST THE ORIGINAL SELLER. Just your info and the gun's info. If you brought it here when you moved here no registration is required. If you ever have to use your gun in an SD situation whether or not it's in CJIS's stupid database or not will be of very little consequence, that much I can guarantee.

Also, if you use the E-FA-10 system completely ignore the verbiage printed on the site about what the law does and doesn't require- it's clearly incorrect. (The CJIS/EOPS position is that you have to register everything for the hell of it but this is NOT codified in the law AT ALL. )

-Mike

Any pistol purchased in a state other then that of your state of residence must be transferred through an FFL, if the pistol is not "MA Approved" you may or may not be able to find a dealer wiling to transfer it for you, but don't tell us who it is if you find one...

Let's not jump to conclusions, my guess is he may have left his guns there and moved them later, or bought it before he dumped his residency in the other state, or whatever. There are a myriad of reasons why you would import firearms from another state after you are a resident of MA. True dual residents do this legally all the time, as well.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom