Reflex Sight Parallax

Not the land of the free but the home of the brave
My son bought a red dot reflex sight (Eotech knock off) for about $100. We took it to the range to sight it in and it had horrible parallax. I have no experience with these types of sights or what to expect. Is there some kind of adjustment on these?
Thank you in advance.

What sight did you a actually buy.
Parallax can be awful on cheap sights...most red dots or reflex will have some level of parallax.
Keep in mind reflex and red dots primary use is quick target acquisition and "hit" on torso size target accuracy...
Depending on the sight it can be parallax free at X yards and really wonder around at W and Y yards.
More so close up...pellet gun shooters will see this and why you see pellet gun scopes with adjustable paraellax down to 10 yards.

I think this is pretty close to what he has.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIGHTMARK-U...710767?hash=item43d61812ef:g:kygAAOSw1vlUtzgL

s-l1600.jpg

Sightmark's arent exactly eotech knockoffs because they use a different projection scheme. They're just regular old red dots that have parallax, But it should be set for 25 yards. Mine shows crazy parallax inside the house, but on the range its just like every other red dot I've used. Not nearly as good as a holographic sight like the eotech, which essentially have zero parallax due to the projection setup.

We tried Sunday to set it up. At 100 yds it was moving like crazy. I will have him bring it over to see what's up with it.

I know parallax can be a PITA but it does force you to become consistent with your head placement.
Are you basing parallax on what you actually see through the sight or what your groups are doing down range.... I have a cheap "reflex" sight on a pellet gun and it sucks if your to close to it with your eye....anything closer than approx 8" it's awful. Stick it out 12+" it gets better.

We tried Sunday to set it up. At 100 yds it was moving like crazy. I will have him bring it over to see what's up with it.
it's gonna move like crazy, parallax is usually on 50 yds. high cost red dots like aim point, the movement is not so prevalent. budget stuff, another story. red dots aren't precision optics for shooting groups.

Golddiggie, Yes it's a knockoff.
mac1911, I think you are onto it being to close. We did have it close to where a rear site would be. I will have him bring it over to see if that makes a difference and let you all know.

Find out exactly what manufacture and model.
Most cheap optics really suck.

It is a Sight Mark he got from Optics Planet. The photo on the previous page is the same model. He will move it further away from his eye to see if that helps.

what type of gun, how does the gun shoot with other sights?
how well of a shooter id your son....?

I would zero it at 25 yards to shoot about 1/2"-3/4" low of point of aim.that will get you darn close to a 100 yard zero.... If you can keep three shots under 2" at 25 yards. if not forget zeroing and shoot for groups until you get better.

remember also with inexpensive ammo, not so accurate gun, inexperience shooter and a cheap optic,,,, anything under 5" group is going to be good anything better a plus. IMHO

Last edited:
Like I said, if he's really having parallax problems over 25 yards with that thing its defective and he should get a replacement.

Back
Top Bottom