• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Refinishing

Hi,
Just picked up my 6906 frame from the anodizer and I'm not thrilled
with the results. I had it done in black and the finish is kind of splotchy.
They said it was the best that they could do because its "old" and I had some engraving removed. Has anyone ever painted a frame? Is this possible? I'm thinking of a high temp primer followed by a high quality high temp flat enamel paint.

Chris

Sorry to hear the bad news. I had great luck with them. Paint does not stick well to aluminum, even with a good primer. But painting on top of plated or anodized aluminum helps a lot. You can also have it powdercoated but be carefull, powdercoat can be applied a little to thick.

P.S. if you surf aound the S&W website you will see that they offer re-anodizing

I just refinished a 1911a1 with GunKote. It works well but you need to prep the gun by roughing up the surface a little bit then cleaning/degreasing. If you don't do it according to the directions the finish will chip and flake. (learned the hard way on a previous project)

Other then that, it works well and looks great.

Back
Top Bottom