• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Refinishing my M14 stock

i just aquired an M14 Birch tiger stock that I would like to refinish. I would like some advise on what would be the best method to do it. I have never done this before. I have purchased Fairtrimmers military Ox but am now getting second thoughts about it as it contains a coloring agent or dye and I am not sure i want to do that as I may lose the tiger patterns with the dye. I am now thinking of just using pure tung oil. Here is a pic on the stock in unfinished condition. Any advise from those that have done this before would be appreciated.

tiger.jpg

One thing I would like to do is mimic as best as possible my tiger birch on my Garand. Here is a pic of the garand I would like to copy:

PICT0225.jpg

Last edited:
SKS Ray is the guy to ask. He has given some very good advice to several others, and his stuff looks awesome as well. Send him a PM, I'm sure he will have some good pointers for you.

Tung Oil would give you a durable finish but if you want it to be correct your best bet is BLO (boiled linseed oil). It'll darken over time and give you the hue that the M1 stock has.

I stripped a stock and refinished it with 8 coats of Boiled Linseed Oil, the first two were thinned. It was easier than I thought and came out well.

rub it down with mineral spirits and 0000 steel wool. Wipe dry.

Rub BLO into it with a rag. Let dry for 24 hrs.

Rub it down with 0000 steel wool, and recoat, wait 24 hours.

Repeat this until you're satisfied with the finish...probably 5-6 times.

When all done, rub it with a good coat of paste wax, let dry and polish to a nice shine.

Back
Top Bottom