Refinishing AR Mag bodies - Perma-Silk G

rep308

NES Member
I'm helping my nephew refinish a batch of Pre-94 AR mag bodies before using rebuild kits. I've always sprayed them with Perma-Slik G Solid Film Lubricant, Air Drying, from Engineered Coatings Solutions of Peachtree City GA

View attachment 255616

Here is a picture of my last can, almost gone. Can someone point me to a source of this stuff, it works great! My google-fu skills have failed me.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• perma-silk G.jpg
    perma-silk G.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Did ya click on my link? Give them a call quick before they close for Thanksgiving and ask if they sell small quantities or who they supply. Good luck.

Matt

Wow that was fast, that you NES brain trust. All the sites where I can find it seem to want $15 shipping for a $22 can. What do you all use to refinish AR mags?

Last edited:
I like CRC... $9 free ship to Woburn Grainger.

4JB39_AS01
iu

Dry Moly is good too, but has a lower temp rating...
$10.80 at grangers...

Says both are in stock in Woburn...

Last edited:
It's basically a $24 dollar plus $10 shipping air dry Molybdenum disulfide... Like CRC Moly Lube...

CRC Dry Film Lubricant, PermaSlik G, and Sandstrom 28A are all solid dry film lubricants.

There's a thread here on NES from years ago where someone refinished some preban USGI mags. I don't remember the process but the mags looked brand new at the end. I vaguely recall them being baked in a toaster as part of it..

Someone needs to figure out a second step of the refinishing process, how to make brand new looking mags look battle worn.
Except that right now, AR mags are so cheap that you'd probably spend more to totally re-furbish surplus mags. Maybe good for a place like MA, but not anywhere else. (I would have used pre-bans while traveling through MA, but going into CT after, so pointless, since you had to register them and couldn't load them more than 10rds anyhow).

I used brownells alumahyde years ago on a few AK mags. Sold the mags. Stuff was pretty tough and air cured in about 20 days.
Theres so many finishes now. My friend uses the appliance paint in tbe rattle can with great results.

Someone needs to figure out a second step of the refinishing process, how to make brand new looking mags look battle worn.
You can take a strong copper solvent like sweets762 and wipe it on tbe wear areas you wish to make worn. It usually will eat the finish .

I have a more fundamental question: do the refinished ones work better than untouched?
I update GI mags with new springs and Magpul followers and IDGAF how they look.

Assuming it works as advertised, a new coat of perma slik would increase reliability of feeding by keeping the follower from binding and smoother mag ejections. I have recoated some in the past but mostly I just clean them every so often to keep any grit from building up.

Assuming it works as advertised, a new coat of perma slik would increase reliability of feeding by keeping the follower from binding and smoother mag ejections. I have recoated some in the past but mostly I just clean them every so often to keep any grit from building up.
This assumes you get a nice even coat inside the mag. I’m going to gander the mags when manufactured new they where dipped?

Back
Top Bottom