• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Refinishing a MN 91/30

Garys

NES Member
A co worker of mine just bought a 91/30 from a friend of his who needed to sell some stuff to pay some bills.

The only problems with this firearm stem from the fact that the previous owner had water in his basement.

He has completely stripped the rifle down, cleaned it, replaced a couple of water damaged parts, and is almost ready to put it back together.

The receiver needs to be repainted and he asked me what type of paint I thought he should use. I initially thought that maybe a semi gloss black might be in order, but the more I think about it, the more I think flat black is better.

He also wondered what kind of wood the stock is made from. I told him I had no idea, but that someone, probably several people, would know the answer.

He is looking at this as a shooter, not a safe queen or collectible. It does have a hexagon receiver and if he read the date code, it was made in 1901.

Any ideas on the best paint would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The Mosin's were originally blued, of course, but re-bluing can be an expensive proposition if done professionally. If I were to "pretty-up" an inexpensive milsurp with no remaining collector value, I would probably go with a flat black enamel made specifically for high temperatures - the kind used to spray paint gas grills.

As for re-finishing the wood, there are several threads including a sticky by SKS Ray with some guidance there.

Good Luck!

First reblue it with cold blue.(receiver & metal parts). I go over the steel with 0000 steelwool, then wash it down with alcohol, then heat the barrel with a hair dryer and the apply the cold bluing. If the metal dosn't turn blue or its not even i go over the wet metal with 0000 steelwool to work in the cold bluing more. I just keep it wet with cold bluing and rub it in till its the color i want(deep blue). Then on the wood parts/stock i use belhen solar lux stain the yellow/orange matches most of the surplus stuff really close. I also use a 0000 steelwool between coats of stain too till its the right color. Then i would use a tung oil finish. The first few thin coats will soak right in too. I use a 0000 steelwool between coats of tung oil. This will seal the wood good.

Tell him to use a mix of amber shellac and denatued alcohol on the stock. It dries fast, is easy to apply once you get used to it, and if you screw up, just wipe it off with a rag soaked in denatured alcohol, dry, and start over. Best part is that its what belongs on a Mosin stock.

I use Zinser shellac and usually go with 3 parts to 1 part alcohol.

Yea, I'de also recommend a relatively cheap cold bluing process. I repaired a Hungarian M44 and reblued everything. If you're not careful it can be finicky, but as long as your careful and it's done right it can come out pretty well considering the price.

I think he already refinished the stock using some sort of polyurethane. As I mentioned, he's not interested in it's collector value, just making it into a shooter. He was wondering what kind of wood the stock was made of. I know that might make some of you [sad2] but it's his rifle. I think I'll mention the BBQ paint to him. I've used that for antennas in the past and it's durable and probably close to the right color and finish.

Thanks!

Yes, the majority (if not all?) of the early MN's were birch stocks. I would try the cold blue first, too.

And since it's going to be just a shooter, I would only strip the areas that are in need of touch up on the stock and attempt to find the closest poly-stain. If the whole stock was stripped, then I'd go back to the original shellac.

I would try the cold blue......my best results are with oxpho-blu from brownells. One thing about the cold blue is it takes time. Many rubbings. I feel most people give up just about the point where it starts to work and even out. When I was on my rusty crusty 22cal saveing craze. I built a blueing trough from a old plastic gutter and glued end caps on it. warming the metal helps out. when all else fails easyway/cheapway grill paint. You can also do gun coat or other simular product.

with shooting corrossive ammo the extra cleaning may wear out the grill paint fast.
personally if its just going to be a shooter. take the money thought about spending on a redo and buy more ammo and shoot that shootah......if I followed my own advice I would have @ least 2 more guns and a case of ammo!!!

martin08......I could not stand the holster wear on one of my CZ82s, stripped it(purchased small blasting cabinet to do so) purchased parkerize kit, then ended up cerakoteing it. In the process I had some other issues and a few gun smith visits..........anyway I now have a 500+- parts gun. which before all this the gun shot and functioned fine....I have left my other shootahs alone so far

I build a lot of them from parts and scratch. I spend a lot of time and effort refinishing. Here's my best one. $500 invested.

CSC_0055.JPG

Here's my cheapest one. $35 invested.

jennings_black_chrome_ivory_004.jpg

And here's what you want that MN to look like when it's done!

Mosins_and_SKS_factory_code_003.jpg

One thing about Russian Mosin stocks that a lot of people don't realize. When people see shellac flaking in some areas, some will think the finish is fubar and the whole stock needs to be stripped and done over. This isn't the case.
Rubbing down the affected areas with denatured alcohol will soften the finish and soften the flaking edges. Then a complete rub down on the entire stock with DA followed by a thin coat of shellac mixed with DA 50/50 will make the stock look like new and if done right no one can tell it was touched up.

Mosin1.jpg

and if done right no one can tell it was touched up.

Very true. Shellac is a little tricky to learn, but it is a very forgiving coating when you can just wipe it away with alcohol.

And when you're done, just throw it in the snow.......

all this talk about refinishing put me in the mood to reblue my k31 and the enfield is going to be next in line to go on the work bench for a make over. I am going to leave the wood alone I like the dents and knicks they give the guns character

A 1901 receiver, oh please wait, don't paint it. Does it have the Czars eagles??? Is it a 91/30 or a 91?

As to bluing I know of a local guy who will reblue a rifle for around $140 bucks. May be to rich for his blood. He could also go to Brownells web site. They have many spray on finishes. Some have been used by the gunsmith who writes for ShotGun news.

As to the stock he can buy a complete replacement one for under 60 bucks. If it had water damage it could be weakened and split after just a few rounds. There are plenty of places on the web that sells the original stocks. PM me and I would be happy to send you the links.

Cold blue is OK as well. Its really what he wants it to look like. heck if he wants a synthetic stock I may have one kicking around. Makes for a good shooter gun or a deer rifle. I cant get the date out of my head, a 1901....

A 1901 receiver, oh please wait, don't paint it. Does it have the Czars eagles??? Is it a 91/30 or a 91?

I'm not sure, I'll try to remember to ask him next time I see him. He was talking about a synthetic stock, but I don't recall if he had one or saw one for sale.

all this talk about refinishing put me in the mood to reblue my k31 and the enfield is going to be next in line to go on the work bench for a make over. I am going to leave the wood alone I like the dents and knicks they give the guns character

I purchased the swiss $79 K31's and the stocks were so black i had to refinish them. No bubba here i did it right. I didn't want new looking k31's just better looking ones. I steamed out some of the dings/dents but left some for history. They look great now.

Back
Top Bottom