Today I sanded down a M39 cracked stock that I had kicking around. This stock is going to be used on my modified M91 that I posted about recently. The front of the stock had a big crack in it. I cut the forend off just up from the finger grooves. The stock was then sanded down to remove the shellac and stain that was on it. I used Potassium Permanganate to stain the stock. This chemical is used in water filtration systems and can be picked up at Sears or other hardware stores. Here is the stained product. Should you try this chemical, wear rubber gloves. It will stain your fingers browner than sh-t. I just need to decide what finish to put over this.