References on renewal

jimlp

NES Member
i am up for renewal and must now provide written references, what info should be included in the letter and in what format? Thank you.

i am up for renewal and must now provide written references, what info should be included in the letter and in what format? Thank you.
I had to give references on my renewal as well. I asked some friends to write them and include how long they have known me.....and that they know me to be a responsible gun owner and not an abuser of drugs or alcohol. The licensing officer didn't question the letters at all.

If you are married, have your mother-in-law write a reference. It is well known fact that if there is anyone out there who might hate you and bury you if given the slightest chance, it would be your mother-in-law. If you can pass that bar, you should be good to go.

If you are married, have your mother-in-law write a reference. It is well known fact that if there is anyone out there who might hate you and bury you if given the slightest chance, it would be your mother-in-law. If you can pass that bar, you should be good to go.

Now my town just started asking for two letters, only it cannot be from a family member, at least not in my town. I wish my mother-in-law could have wrote me a letter. She was one of the few people that actually liked me.

My town started to ask for these letters a few years ago. I worried about it for a bit. I never asked anyone to provide one and, since the deadline was approaching, I just submitted my renewal without the letters. My LTC was renewed without a peep about the letters. I do live in a green town though

Here they just ask for 2 listed references, no letters for renewal. But they do ask for 3 letters I think for a new application.

Here they just ask for 2 listed references, no letters for renewal. But they do ask for 3 letters I think for a new application.

Same here for renewals. I don’t think they even bother calling b/c they know how silly it is. First, you should not need references to exercise a constitutionally protected natural right, particularly where they often also make new applicants take an LTC class at some point. Second, who is going to list as a reference someone who would say anything negative? So doesn’t seem to serve any rational purpose in the context of applying for/renewing an LTC and instead just serves as another obstacle to exercising your right.

My town “requires” at least two references. I didn’t provide any and was never questioned about the lack there of.

I always use the Police Chief and Chief of Detectives. They never bother to check. If anyone ever questions that, I can say with all truthfulness, that they do not know me and there fore I am a good citizen with no record and obviously qualified to be a LTC holder.

I write letters for a lot of people. Here's the template that I adjust as needed:

Dear <name>

I have known <insert name> of <insert address> on a personal and professional basis since <insert year>. I met <insert name> while <insert sentence - could be as a client or member of some service organization, kids school, etc.>.

<insert name> is both a friend and a client and he displays the highest levels of personal and professional integrity in all that he does. <insert name> is a good and active person in the community and is active in both business and charitable/service groups.

As an NRA Certified Home Firearms Safety and Pistol Instructor, I have had occasion to observe <insert name> experience and skill with firearms. <insert name> is very responsible and has years of experience safely handling firearms.

Please feel free to contact me if I may be of further assistance.

More than a few people have put me down as references and I've had only one call in all those years and it was from a town in RI about one of my students. AFAIK none of my application references in MA and elsewhere have ever been called either. I used to use 2 police officers (who I worked with) who my chief hated as references for my MA LTC . . . I did it on purpose. <LOL>

Letters and references are not required under the current laws. But its obvious that more and more cities/towns are requiring them. If you want to put a stop to them adding unlawful conditions, stop giving in.

With a new LTC this exposes you to suitability, so there is risk and I can see why some will say "hey its just a couple letters" and comply. BUT, with a renewal, if they want to go the suitability route, they have to come up with something that has happened since the last license was issued, and is bad enough for a suitability denial but not bad enough for a suitability revocation. This is going to be very difficult for the CoP to sell to a judge. And the departments lawyer is going to tell him that.

Or you could just keep letting the CoP add conditions.... Hmmm isn't this exactly what the AG did? Add her own little conditions.

What say you Comm2a, would you step up if someone did this on a renewal and got denied?

More than a few people have put me down as references and I've had only one call in all those years and it was from a town in RI about one of my students. AFAIK none of my application references in MA and elsewhere have ever been called either. I used to use 2 police officers (who I worked with) who my chief hated as references for my MA LTC . . . I did it on purpose. <LOL>
Well, that's one way to rub the chief's nose in it!

Applications in the three towns I have lived in have always required names of references. No one has ever been contacted.

Same in my town, They never contact the references that I give. Not contacting the references must be one of the many ways they save time and process our applications so fast ROFLOL.

Same in my town, They never contact the references that I give. Not contacting the references must be one of the many ways they save time and process our applications so fast ROFLOL.
First, what's the point in contacting a reference an applicant provides. You'd have to be a special kind of stupid to provide a bad reference.

Second, references are not required by law. The statute doesn't allow them to deny based on if there are references or who those references are. So why even bother contacting them.

References and letters are just the CoP's way of making the dog jump through another hoop, so he can enjoy the show.

If you really want to play the game (and keep the CoP from refusing the application without references), put down 2 people who are impossible to get ahold of. Famous people in other countries, or politicians. How about Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin. Or better yet Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, to cover both sides.

Well, there's required, and required....

It may not be a requirement per MGLs, but if you tell the licensing ossifer, "No," or fail to submit the paperwork that they want, then the processing of your app may be delayed.

Unfortunately, the issuance of an LTC is not a right in Mass., but a privilege. [sad]

Hell, to pick up my last renewal, I needed to provide a photo ID. I pointed out that the new LTC was my most recent, with the picture that looked most like me. No go. Fortunately, they accepted my expired LTC. [laugh]

Well, there's required, and required....

It may not be a requirement per MGLs, but if you tell the licensing ossifer, "No," or fail to submit the paperwork that they want, then the processing of your app may be delayed.

Unfortunately, the issuance of an LTC is not a right in Mass., but a privilege. [sad]

Hell, to pick up my last renewal, I needed to provide a photo ID. I pointed out that the new LTC was my most recent, with the picture that looked most like me. No go. Fortunately, they accepted my expired LTC. [laugh]
Apparently, FID is a right, because no references are required. Not that I was planning to provide them anyway. None of their damned business!

Letters and references are not required under the current laws. But its obvious that more and more cities/towns are requiring them. If you want to put a stop to them adding unlawful conditions, stop giving in.

I think that they may end servicing the squeaky wheel and then just immediately go back to being retards after you leave the station. There's ZERO incentive for them to stop being obnoxious. I have heard of PDs doing this with other issues... there are wonky yellow and red towns that have given the whining person what they wanted and then immediately just reverted to sucking. Worcester operated like this practically forever. For awhile they practically induced a battle royale with every applicant... basically hoping the meek would give up and go away. a lot probably did....

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom