• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

References MA Application

Nobody

NES Member
Hi All,
I see the latest firearms/LTC application only ask for the names of references instead of letters from them.
So my question is, can the references be family, or just acquaintances and friends.
Thank you, Uncle Pete

You should ask the licensing officer.

In my town, lo these many years ago, they couldn't be family and that was printed explicitly, in bold italics, on the application. In other towns, no references were required at all.

Depends on the LO in your town. Check their website. The state application doesn’t specify and no letters are required. Some towns require letters, some require the references are not family, and some require more than two.

Which is ?

The statutory requirement that they process your paperwork and issue your license within 40 days. Some PDs ignore it.

Jack's being a little bit snarky, but if you post your town there will be people here who've been through the licensing process there, and who can give you more tailored guidance about what you can expect.

ETA: Oh. I'm stupid. I see you're in Lunenburg.

Chime in, Lunenburgers!

The statutory requirement that they process your paperwork and issue your license within 40 days. Some PDs ignore it.

Jack's being a little bit snarky, but if you post your town there will be people here who've been through the licensing process there, and who can give you more tailored guidance about what you can expect.

ETA: Oh. I'm stupid. I see you're in Lunenburg.

Chime in, Lunenburgers!
Edit: moved to Leominster this year.

Did some digging, found this.
You must, for LTC only, submit two (2) Character Reference Letters. The reference letters cannot be from family members, or from any employee of the Leominster Police Department. Reference letters should contain the person’s name, complete home address (P.O. Box addresses and work address are not acceptable) and telephone number. The letters will not be accepted if they are not signed and dated. The letters should be addressed to “Leominster Police Department”

Did some digging, found this.
You must, for LTC only, submit two (2) Character Reference Letters. The reference letters cannot be from family members, or from any employee of the Leominster Police Department. Reference letters should contain the person’s name, complete home address (P.O. Box addresses and work address are not acceptable) and telephone number. The letters will not be accepted if they are not signed and dated. The letters should be addressed to “Leominster Police Department”

Welp, there ya go.

I had a very similar requirement about 15 years ago in my town. I'm not sure whether they do it anymore. I found a co-worker and someone else, wrote the letters for them, and had them sign. One of them had to be a town resident, which was why I used my co-worker.

I have two references. One is a friend who is a C.O. @ D.O.C. The other is a friend who is retired F.D..
Would it benefit me to have them list titles below their signatures on the letters. Thanks.

I put my father in law and my father as references. Got my new LTC in the mail last week.

Exercise of my right to keep and bear arms does not rely the emotionally derived opinions of me from other people.

Imagine if that requirement was ever invoked to exercise the right to vote, to speak freely, to own property, to buy a car, or a house?

It is just another illegal stumbling block placed in the path of anyone who desires to exercise their 2A rights and any municipality that requires it should be federally prosecuted for attempting to deny a citizen of their constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms.

I have two references. One is a friend who is a C.O. @ D.O.C. The other is a friend who is retired F.D..
Would it benefit me to have them list titles below their signatures on the letters. Thanks.
What town? If they issue a lot of restricted licenses, it may help. If they issue all unrestricted, then probably doesn’t matter.

Are you trying to further promote a JUST US system?

Tell them you have no "societal vouchers" and the exercise of your rights need not be approved by the emotionally derived opinions of others.

Are you trying to further promote a JUST US system?

Tell them you have no "societal vouchers" and the exercise of your rights need not be approved by the emotionally derived opinions of others.

Lol. I think he's just trying to promote himself getting an LTC...

It's a hoop. If he jumps through, he gets the card. If he doesn't, he doesn't. He's a big boy; he can make that choice.

OP, I'm with the people who doubt the 5-O will read these all that carefully, though honestly a DOC person might be more credible to a LEO. Or less; I have no idea. And if departmental policy is to NOT issue unrestricted on the first go-round, it's not going to matter.

Lol. I think he's just trying to promote himself getting an LTC...

It's a hoop. If he jumps through, he gets the card. If he doesn't, he doesn't. He's a big boy; he can make that choice.

OP, I'm with the people who doubt the 5-O will read these all that carefully, though honestly a DOC person might be more credible to a LEO. Or less; I have no idea. And if departmental policy is to NOT issue unrestricted on the first go-round, it's not going to matter.
There's no LOL about it.

What they are imposing is unconstitutional.

Nobody's individual rights should be held hostage by anyone...ESPECIALLY GOVERNMENT, by the meaningless opinions of them by others through a deliberately contrived system, designed solely to deprive people of the free exercise of their constitutionally protected rights.

There's no LOL about it.

What they are imposing is unconstitutional.

Nobody's individual rights should be held hostage by anyone...ESPECIALLY GOVERNMENT, by the meaningless opinions of them by others through a deliberately contrived system, designed solely to deprive people of the free exercise of their constitutionally protected rights.

Okay.

But he's a big boy. He can make his own choices. Not everybody has the same goals you do in life.

I understand that.....be HE inquired.
Yes. He inquired about how to write a reference letter for an LTC.

He DID NOT inquire about how to "further promote a JUST US system." That's your thing, not his.

ETA: I'd hurry, OP. Sitting on this won't help you. Prices are not going down, and neither are restrictions on liberties. Sooner you get this in, the better.

Yes. He inquired about how to write a reference letter for an LTC.

He DID NOT inquire about how to "further promote a JUST US system." That's your thing, not his.

ETA: I'd hurry, OP. Sitting on this won't help you. Prices are not going down, and neither are restrictions on liberties. Sooner you get this in, the better.
Giving education and options. I guess thats also illegal in Massachusetts?

The more you abide by and support the illegal system that clamps your balls in a vise, the tighter that vise will get.

Giving education and options. I guess thats also illegal in Massachusetts?

The more you abide by and support the illegal system that clamps your balls in a vise, the tighter that vise will get.

Your opinion is shared by all of us, or at least me. But we also live in the real world.

He wants an LTC.

Your "option" will result in him not getting an LTC.

How is that a viable option?

Your opinion is shared by all of us, or at least me. But we also live in the real world.

He wants an LTC.

How is that a viable option?

How do you know it's not viable?......he never exercised it.

It's long past time to change that world you call reality. It is NOT reality, it is perceived power by government and government minions over a mass of people because those people cower in fright.

It's long past time to change that world you call reality. It is NOT reality, it is perceived power by government and government minions over a mass of people because those people cower in fright.

Got it.

Seriously, OP, move on this. It's been almost a month; you could have had it in hand by now, if your PD was on the ball. And post what you buy!

Got it.

Seriously, OP, move on this. It's been almost a month; you could have had it in hand by now, if your PD was on the ball. And post what you buy!
Seriously, I have them ready to go. Still have to get safety training 09/19, then meet with application clerk hopefully the week of 09/20. Working on it as fast as I can.

I don't know if a department has ever called a reference in a case I'm aware of.
Think about it:
  • The towns that do check references weed out some losers that would end up in court.
    • -plus-
  • The towns that don't check references license some losers that would end up in court.
[shocked]

The jurisdiction clearly states in writing that they require references.

Advising other people to blow off required paperwork "because muh Constitution"
is a good way to get a denial on their permanent record.

Which would be a "let's you and him fight" situation.

So I'm holding out for an NES thread on
"how to write an application explaining my denial
for refusing to include references
with an application mandating references".

I'll settle for a parody thread,
but I think there's headroom for The Real Article.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom