Redditor finds a gun in his backyard, calls cops. Cops say "most likely tied to a homicide the previous owner was convicted of."

cr27nuza58m51.jpg

Story time: while digging a hole for a cute ponytail palm my wife an I were planting. We found this coffee can. Wore some gloves because I figured it was someone’s pet. It was wrapped in 10 plastic grocery bags, which set off alarm bells. Had the sheriff come an pick it up. They ran the address and said it’s most likely tied to a homocide a previous resident was convicted of. A week or two later while chatting with my lawn guy(he worked for the previous owners) and he says the previous guy was always digging in the back yard. Borrowing a friends metal detector this weekend. Wish me luck!

Mini update:
Wife googled names of peoples mail that still gets sent here and pretty confident she found the guy.
Edit: removed link due to not being 100% that the person is the one responsible

2nd mini update: Wow this blew up! I will update this weekend if I find anything or not. If I do I’ll start a new post. To answer some questions. It was just the gun and a empty magazine. Gloves were on the entire time. I haven’t heard any new info from the sheriff. They photographed the entire area, and took everything related.

View: https://old.reddit.com/r/interestingasf***/comments/iptu1x/found_this_in_our_back_yard_while_planting_a_tree/

Bryco? the police can have it, I wouldn't want it.

OP says that a previous resident of the house went to prison for murder, so that's likely a murder weapon that was never found. Wouldn't want that.

In general, you have to think that any gun found while "magnet fishing", digging in the yard, etc., is possibly a murder weapon. You might have some awfully tough 'splainin' to do to the police if you were found with something like that.

In general, you have to think that any gun found while "magnet fishing", digging in the yard, etc., is possibly a murder weapon. You might have some awfully tough 'splainin' to do to the police if you were found with something like that.
Dig up a gun in the back yard?
Site of tragic boating accident.
(The summit of Mt. Everest is marine limestone,
and it's all downhill from there).

In the only case I know of someone actually losing a firearm in a tragic boating accident, one of my very good friends from college lost a Ruger .22/45 when his canoe tumped* on the Illinois Bayou in Arkansas.

About five years later, he got a call from a detective with the Pope County sheriff's department. "We have recovered this pistol that you purchased from ABC Sporting Goods in Russellville. Can you explain what happened to it?"

Friend: "Ummm, yes, I lost it canoeing back on (date)."

Detective: "Mr. 'Smith', I have to inform you that ballistics have confirmed that this pistol was used in a homicide three days before you claim to have lost it. I'm going to need you to come down so that we can get a full statement from you."

Obviously, my friend was freaking out about then... until neither the detective, nor my friend's buddy who owned the gun store, could stifle their laughter any more.

The gun was actually found, turned in, and traced. My buddy had bought it new from that store, which was owned by one of his good friends, so they decided to prank him just a bit. ;)

I heard this history while shooting the gun. I noticed it had been refinished, but had some deep pitting, so he explained its history in the river. :D

*"Tumped" is a perfectly good word that is apparently unique to the land of my birth. "Tump out" or "tump over" means to spill: "Brang that whaleborrow o'er hur n' tump it out!", or "We floated the Buffalo last weekend and I lost my daggum phone when we tumped over!"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom